1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ph Adjustment

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Ray Thomas, Mar 24, 2023.

1. Ray Thomas

Ray Thomas New Member

NWI
    Is there an equation one can use to make a close determination of how much baking soda to add to a pickle to raise the ph to a specific level. Say raise from a ph of 2 to a ph of 3.5? Concentration of citric acid in pickle is 3oz (crystal by weight) per gallon of water and 1lb of salt.

Monte likes this.
  2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

The pH of anything is way too variable for one set of rules to apply. For starters, water pH varies widely across the globe. The volume of each pickle and the type of acids also come into play. Heck, even salt has variable pH levels! The adjustment you need will be made by trial and error. Start with small quantities, maybe 1 teaspoon per gallon of pickle. Check pH, add more baking soda until the desired pH is achieved. If it goes higher than desired, then acid can be used to bring it back down.

Ray Thomas likes this.

3. Ray Thomas

Ray Thomas New Member

NWI
    Thanks for your response. I’m going through a bit of ph paper testing every adjustment so I was hoping there was a faster way to get close and then fine tune with ph test. I guess with more experience I may get there faster with less testing.

4. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

Here's my $ 0.02

Don't skimp on pH paper, its super cheap compared to F-in up a tan.

Always have 2 rolls around; one you use, one in inventory. Order another when the primary gets used up. This prevents an emergency if you happen to drop the roll in your pickle, it gets lost or ruined. My 0-3 roll lives in a secure location and never leaves there. I have backup supply of just about every taxidermy specific item in my shop, (someday there will be a huge garage sale.) You can't buy that stuff in town. Well maybe pH paper at a brewing supply place or pool store, but good luck getting a 0-3 range roll.

Do what Joey said, its just a trial and test thing, sneak up on it and give it a little time to react.

Good Luck

Ray Thomas likes this.
  5. Ray Thomas

Ray Thomas New Member

NWI
    Funny you should say that. Paper had retreated into the dispenser. Opened it up to fix it. Fell out. I missed the pickle when I dropped it but it landed on the damp floor. Picked it up quickly. I thought it was suspect but seems to be ok. I now have a backup roll. Lol