1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mange

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Jean M, Apr 6, 2023.

1. Jean M

Jean M Well-Known Member

Manitoba
    Last month I had someone bring in a whole Coyote to be tanned.
    On initial inspection, the tail was nice and full, hips just looked a bit rubbed/not prime.

As it was thawing, I was combing it out and found quite a bit of fur pulling out and then noticed chew marks on the rear feet, as well as scabs and sores on the hindquarters.
    I'm pretty good friends with our local vet, so I sent him a couple pictures, he agreed that it was most likely Mange , so I bagged it and told the guy that I didn't want to risk any of our animals picking up the mites. (We've got dogs, horses, sheep, cats that can all be infected, as can we) I also could not be sure if the hair would hold or if there would be slippage issues.

He understood and the carcass was disposed of.

I did read later that prolonged freezing at low temps will kill the mites. (can't recall offhand exact Temps right now)

Does anyone else have experience with infected animals?
    I just wonder if someone brings in a once in a lifetime animal, is worth trying to salvage?

20230310_172932.jpg

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I deal with mange occasionally in coyotes. You are correct. Freeze it for a couple of weeks, then skin it. My dog and one cat live in my shop. Neither of them have ever been affected by mange.

3. Jean M

Jean M Well-Known Member

Manitoba
    Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Any issues with hair loss, or just areas that are scarred, or scabbed?

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Usually after washing, drying, and fluffing up, there is little notice of hair loss.

Jean M likes this.
  5. Jean M

Jean M Well-Known Member

Manitoba
    Good to know that they can be salvaged.
    If I get one early enough in the winter, I can have it freeze pretty hard in the garage until I'm ready for it.