1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bird feet

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by skranitz, Oct 19, 2006.

1. skranitz

skranitz New Member

Hi,

I am doing some fighting roosters and the feet won't move. I think this is because i salted them to take them across the country in my car. I have soaked them and refrozen them. The skin feels normal but I am unable to move the feet to place them.

I have other birds that I did not salt and the feet are very easy to move around. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to get these feet soft again so i can place them for the mount.

Thanks so much,

Stacy

2. BigSwede

BigSwede Member

I think you need to soak the feet quite a bit longer than the thin skin. You can cut them off, they can be finished completely before you mount the bird and then re-attached. I do this on ducks, geese and all bigger birds. Let them soak for a few hours and let them sweat in a plastic bag in the fridge over night. When they start to soften up you can inject windex in them, this is a good softener. You should at least be able to move the joints, if they do not become as soft as fresh ones again. Good luck, B S

3. stacy

stacy Guest

thank you so much for the advice i will try the long soak , plastic wrap and windex over the weekend. I really appreciate it.

-stacy

4. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

Inject the feet with warm soapy water. If that still doesn't work use some formula 409 injected