1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Van Dyke's

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by *, Sep 4, 2007.

1. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

I'm so tired of their crap, They only give shipping quotes even when it's boxed and ready for the truck. Then when you get billed it's twice as much.
    Good bye Van Dykes.

2. Re: Van Dyke's Can kiss my *****

You sort of got me lost there. Could you be more specific? ???

3. Kim Owens

Kim Owens Are we there yet?

Re: Van Dyke's Can kiss my *****

And you think shipping costs are their fault? I personally am tired of ALL shipping costs. Without items being boxed, how do you expect a company to give you an exact quote? Not being ugly here, just curious as to how we can expect a hard quote if one does not know the measurements or the weight of a box until the merchandise is actually in the boxes.

4. Re: Van Dyke's Can kiss my *****

I cant stand Van Dykes, they are always my last resort. I once ordered a form for a whitetail that was in velvet by the time I got my order he had already rubbed out and dropped again.

5. sounds screwd up to me ! as much as they ship product out everday you would think that they had the shipping down .
    they need fixed shipping far all items so that we can see when ordering

6. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I could be wrong, but I think he was saying they give him a quote "after" it has been boxed & weighed. But then it's twice as much as they have quoted.

7. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Yes I'll be more specific
    Kim they were boxed.
    I asked for a price after order was boxed and ready to compare to ups rates.

They have my orders boxed and ready to go on truck ABF Freight.
    I ask for the shipping PRICE after they are ready.......
    They give me a QUOTE, Because they say they can't give me a price till they PICK IT up. WELL they have scale there and a measuring tape don't they?????
    WHY they cannot price a shipment and stand by it , I have no clue.

Two weeks later I get charged twice as much as was quoted for the shipping with all this extra BULLSH*T added on.
    I have no more Van Dyke's Catalogs, they are in the trash.
    Good Riddens

8. Kim Owens

I misunderstood, my bad.

9. michael p.

Ohhhhhh :eek: I could make so many woman jokes right now! ;D But do to possible health risks I won't! ;) ;D

10. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

Your Bad what? ;D

11. Kim Owens

My bad that I didn't read the above post properly. If his quote was indeed after the supplies had been boxed, then my statement was wrong. I have never called for a quote of my shipment from anyone after it has gone through the entire process of being pulled off the shelves, boxed and ready to go out the door. For me, shipping is what shipping is. I either go UPS (which is higher than he**) or fed-ex ground (which is not quite to he**). Besides that EJ, you and Michael know that I am never 'that' bad!

12. michael p.

That aint what E.J. said :eek: ;) :D

13. clewis

clewis New Member

I guess we allhave experiences that are frustrating and seem out of line. I have ordered from Van Dykes for years. I have not experienced the challenges you depict above. If I am not offered an option for shipping, I ask for the specific one I want. Generally NOT UPS. Depending on the size and the dimensions, my wishes are accommodated. If something seems out of kilter, I call them - to date they have been responsive to me. If it is something small, like bird heads or bird eyes, I ask that it be shipped priority mail - way cheaper and much faster.

Like I said above, if you are told one thing and have another happen, you own it to yourself to call Van Dykes and talk to them. Go up the chain of command if necessary. So far they have been accommodating to me, and I would hate to not have access to their materials because of a screw up in their shipping department or an unprofessional employee that management was not knowledgeable of.

Shipping prices have materially increased on the heels of increased costs of fuel. It is not the suppliers fauth that the cost of shipping has increased. If the truth be known, it is probably the shipping companies that are profiting the most.

Good Luck

14. mike g

mike g Active Member

I have two van dyke's head mounting stands, new from two different state shows this past year. I bought them so I could stop using my big and bulky home made stands, well the new stands are no longer in use because I dont care how tight you get the handles the dam stand always slips down or rolls forward or wants to spin while you are working. Nothing is more frustrating than fighting the stand that is suppose to hold your work secure. They told me it's the coating on the stands and I should grind it off and then it should hold.

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I only order from them what I don't need in a hurry.

16. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

That powder coating slips like crazy. I worked in a studio that had a powder coated stand and I avoided it like the plague.

17. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

i dont have any problems with them other than they wont commit to a time frame - i try to order on sunday evening - get order or wednesday 80% of time

18. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

It always takes them 3 to 4 days to get my items boxed and a confirmation email sent.. No matter what day or time of day I order it still takes them 4 days to actually put it in the mail.... Always has been that way not sure why.. Then about 7 days later I get the box usually by UPS.. And yes shipping is high.. But then again ANY shipping is high.. Postal rates have jumped tremendously this year.. I kid you not sometimes I wonder if it would be cheaper to drive the package to its destination LOL..
    I like Van Dykes... I like their supplies and their forms.. I also like the customer service and when items are broken or whatever they have always replaced them free of charge, but their shipping takes a long time LOL. My one BIG complaint is whoever is boxing the dang orders... ONE they need to get their but in gear.. It should not take 4 days to box an order... Two... Who in the heck puts 2 -5lb chucks of clay, in with apoxie sculpt, paint, and other lighter soft conatiners?? My last shipping of apoxie scuplt arrived smashed and all over the inside of the box, Due to the 20 lbs of other supplies that bounced all over it and obliterated the containers.. The form that was in the same box was also broke up.. I was not thrilled.. The form I had to fix, not that big of a deal, bugt the apoxie sculpt was a total loss. They could at least put a piece of cardboard or soemthing to seperate the heavy stuff from flying all over the box...
    Also the SIZE of the box could be much smaller... A huge box is not needed to ship small items and a form.. All it does if give the heavy stuff more room to bounce around.
    Other than the actual shipping issues I like Van Dykes and while I may cuss their stupid shipping practises at least they replace whatever gets wasted... I also like being able to use my cabelas card :) Bonus there :)

19. SteveP

SteveP New Member

I started buying from VanDykes in 1975 and got my stuff either snail mail or UPS. Now, I usually get it Speedy, as they are about three hour drive away. I guess I'm lucky, shipping is fair, and it's usually in my hands in three days. Matuska is even closer, but their website is slower to order from. I assume that you people that are in close proximity to other suppliers are getting the same benifits?

20. RTF

RTF Active Member

Been doing business with them since 1998 and have had my ups and downs as with any taxi supply business. Things changed when Cabela's bought them IMO.