1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Van Dyke's

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by *, Sep 4, 2007.

1. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I tell them to ship the cheapest way possible...UPS, parcel post, heck, even a camel caravan, I don't care...I usually receive orders in 5-7 days.

2. I used to order a few things from Van Dykes, but never again. On my last order several years ago, I ordered a lifesize wolf form, eyes, and WOLF earliners. When the order arrived, I opened the box to find BEAR earliners. I called them up and said they sent the wrong earliners, could they please send some wolf earliners. Their customer service folks said they don't carry any wolf earliners, they just always send out bear earliners if someone orders wolf earliners. I said how can that be - they have wolf earliners listed in the catalog. She said that I should just modify the bear earliners to use them for a wolf. What a bunch of idiots. Bear ears and wolf ears look nothing alike. I am done doing business with a taxidermy company that can't tell the difference between a wolf ear and a bear ear.

I feel better now that I have that off my chest!!

Bruce Norton
    Rushford, MN

3. Tenbears

Tenbears Member

I have no problem with Van Dykes products. And I have mo problem withtheir shipping time usually. I do not even have a problem with the fact that they cannot accurately estimate shipping cost. But I HATE being lied to. and I even more so Hate when I call customer service to try to get a resolution the representative acts smug, and as though they care not. That valley girl What everrr attitude. I have been in business a long time, and my business is geared to account for slow shipping, and possible tie ups. I normally order well In advance. On a rare occasion I may need something by a certain time. when I ask if I can get it By such and such a date and they say oh sure. we will get that out today. tomorrow the latest. And you will have it in 3 to 6 days. when 8 days go by, and it is not here I call customer service to get the Valley Girl who tells me the form had to be made. I use to do around $20,000.00 a year with Van Dykes. now I do about $2500.00
    Just for that reason. Don't Pee down my leg, and try to tell me it"s raining.

4. Terry

Terry De-lighted to be living in Alaska!

Just another opinion based on a different set of experiences...

I do most of my ordering from Van Dyke's. Frankly, if they sold Polytranspar paints it would be the rare order that didn't come from them. I live in a remote part of AK (no roads). I order over the internet. If I order on a Sunday evening (common), it's almost always here before Friday (very fast for our neck of the woods). Things are always shipped USPS priority mail. IMHO, compared to other things that are shipped here, shipping charges through the postal system are certainly reasonable. I have only ever had one poor experience with them. By mistake they shipped an order UPS once (BAD idea when shipping to bush AK... very bad). It took three weeks and cost twice as much. When I called to voice my concern, they checked to see what it would have cost shipped USPS and credited my account with the difference. To me that was a very fair solution. I have never had a problem again.

Also, I'm with Clifftax... I think when Cabelas took over the ship a lot of things changed- shipping and customer service being two of them.

5. friendindeed

friendindeed New Member

....I have been oredering from Jonas Supply lately - freight delivery......I can order 4 - 6 lifesize bears or 25-40 heads for around $300 freight.....I ordered an l/s cape buffalo and the shipping was like $125, very nice....the new ups/fedex/dhl and even usps rates are rough, it really makes sense to order in bulk, from a company that will ship truck freight, although I realize that this is not a possibility for many folks......

6. Peggy Obear

Peggy Obear New Member

Shipping it is what it is, part of the trade, if that is going to throw you off you are in for some problems if you get big and busy.

7. Matt

Matt Active Member

I don't have any problems with them either. I get things in 4-5 days, and the quote on shipping is on the money. The shipping is always going to go up, so add accordingly, and your time percentage on the phone!

8. Peggy you should learn who is who before remarking. They don't get much busier or bigger than *.

9. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

Ordered a small order . Stuff for 3 birds , some paint. $45. Called the order in Tues. about 3pm. 4PM weds. Got an e-mail the order shipped. Can't ask for any better then that.

10. Sawetamen

Sawetamen New Member

Had great experience with my other flesher just brought in .

11. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Lets see I called in my order on 9/7, got an email on 9/10 to show my boxes were shipped, and on the 14th it arrived. AND I will say that I requested the 25 lbs of rock mix be shipped seperate so it wouldnt beat the tar out of the rest of my order... It shipped as requested everything arrived in perfect shape, and shipping total was only 30.00 and some change by UPS ground.
    The Lynx form I ordered came like a puzzle, Its way cool! And it allowed it to be sent in a smaller box :) Big bonus there. I literally is in pieces like a puzzle, the body, legs, and head are all apart. The body has square "pegs" for the legs to slide onto and the head sets into the depression.... I MUCh prefer this puzzle than them cutting it up.. The foam they used is also denser almost like a plastic.. INteresting as Ive not had a form come in that used this particular foam. I rather like it :)
    7 days total from call to delivery..

12. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Well they finally credited my overbilled shipping, got my 369.00 credit.
    And to Peggy Obear, I probably order more forms in a month than you order all year.
    My shipping alone was 400.00 the order was over 2,000.
    I'm not OFF on my shipping, just like you , you can't quote a job and then double it to your client. That's what they did with the shipping and it was wrong.
    They have taken care of it.

13. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I've ordered the brush on- wipe off paints a few times, and have never had a problem with the timeframe they came in. The fact that they don't quote shipping is frustrating sometimes, but I would rather pay the exact shipping rate than be overcharged a standard quotable rate. The only problem I've ever had was with redeeming cabalas points to pay for a purchase. The neglected to to use them. I called customer service, and they credited back my c/c and then used the points. Took like 30 seconds to clear the problem up.

14. den007

den007 Active Member

Shipping costs.....oh yeah.....Thanks Mr. Bush and the New World Order!