1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A good fish workshop

Discussion in 'Training' started by chrs, Sep 5, 2007.

1. chrs

chrs New Member

I am looking for quality instruction on warm and cold water fish. any comments, suggestions, or ideas are welcome.

2. Taxidermy101

Taxidermy101 New Member

Chrs I can only speak from my personal experience but I too looked long and hard to find some one who could work with me as a beginner and a some where where I could get value for my money. I knowthere are lots of teachers out there but I choice Rick krane of Anglers Artistry. I Spent 10 days off and on and it was more then I could ever imagine. He is a real committed teacher and is so into what he does it was like being with a on on one professor of fish taxidermy. I would look his posts and talk to me or other past students. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,353.msg1059.html#msg1059
    I hope you find what your looking for it is a blast! Tax101

3. Billw

Billw Member

You won't go wrong with Rick Krane. He really knows his stuff I could only hope to know half of what he knows someday.
    Bill W former student of Anglers Artistry

4. Debbie N

Debbie N New Member

MA.
    I took a 10 workshop with Rick and my family has been in taxidermy for over 20 years. I'm 16 but I will be taking this work over some time in the future when I can. Rick is first class and a real friend. he has the gift to be patience and really has a system down to teach. He makes even the most tricky things like paint and body carving look easy. I was going to take a workshop in PA but when I meet the people who were going to give the workshop they went to friendly and didn't seem to care about a kid like me and my intrest. Look at what is out there and then look at my work I can do now and my brother anglers students. Like Bill w and Travis and Jimmy L and randy K all are really good taxidermist at fish now.
    My dad agrees with me I can do fish better then he can now. That is cool for me. I'm back in school and all I wish I could do is fish taxidermy. Call Rick and talk to he he is straight forward and cares about what you do and how it will come out..
    Stan N

5. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

I too will verify Mr. Kranes abilities. I took his class in January after going to another taxidermy school. I learned so much that it made me realize just how much I DIDNT know. You will not be dissapointed in Rick or his teaching methods. There are some great taxidermists out there, but it takes a special kind of person to be able to Teach it to others in a manner that they can understand. Any questions feel free to contact me via email ..

[email protected]

6. Andrew

Andrew New Member

Take your time look around and find someone whose work blows you away and makes you think WOW I want too be that good. I have been to a few work shops with Gary Bruch and well how can you go wrong with having a World Champ as a teacher and a friend? I have learned more from just talking with Gary then most will ever figure out from years of trying. Many ppl teach fish taxidermy all you have too do now is talk too them see if its the right fit for your needs...ask do you want to be an ok fish artist or do you want too be one of the best?
    Any questions feel free ta msg me.
    Take care, Andrew

7. Taxidermy101

Taxidermy101 New Member

Andrew I don't think your trying to say that Rick isn't a top notch teacher. I think both Rick and Gary are good teacher as I haven't ever taken a workshop with him and I didn't read you took on with Rick. But when you say "ask do you want to be an OK fish artist or do you want too be one of the best?" It sounds like your saying that. Gary is also one of Rick students and has gone on to do great things. Rick no longer competes but he student's do and have won state shows, National and World shows too. I don't think you could go wrong with either one of them though I have taken Gary's workshop I think both are winners and good people. You can praise your teacher with out putting any ones down. Just my opinion.
    Tax101

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Rick Krane doesn't need anyone to stand up for him, just set in a seminar of his once, he is a teacher indeed.
    Cecil Baird will help get you started also, he is in Indiana. Seen plenty of praise post here about his fish skills and helping beginners get started.

9. Andrew

Andrew New Member

Ummm nope thats not what I ment.... if I felt Rick was a crap teacher I woulda said "Dont go see Rick " LOL the statment of being an OK fish guy means you can get that from almost any good taxidermist that could show you how too mount fish.... too be a great fish artist you will have too decide too pick a top teacher. All in what you want so again make the best choice that fits your needs.

10. I struggled with fish for years . I read all about Rick Krane and decided, that he was the man to help me, and let me tell you, it was some of the best money I have ever spent . I learned more about fish taxidermy in 10 days, than I had learned in the past 16 years . Rick is a dedicated teacher and cares about his students . He wants you to learn, and he will do his best to see that you do. I don`t think you would go wrong, taking a class from him. I have been to other good workshops, on birds and gameheads, and have attended many seminars . Take my word for it , Rick`s teaching, is as good as it gets . Randy Kittle

11. Chad See

Chad See Certified "Fish Head"

I too took a class with Rick. Stand up guy and a real friend. In the week he spent with me, I learned more than I could have ever imagined. Fish are my passion and being a great fish taxidermist was the only option. With that being said, I chose Rick to teach me and take me to the next level. Best money I have ever spent.

As a side note, I have no experience with Gary Bruch other than some emails and PM's on taxidermy.net, but his work is certainly first class and I have not doubt he is a fantastic teacher. I personally dont feel you could go wrong with either of these fine gentlemen.

Chad

12. Lou

Lou Modern day Mona Lisa :-)

PA
    Well I'm sure you could learn something Gary (he did win worlds) but remember he was one of Ricks students at one time too ;D You won't find many schools who can teach at the level Rick does. He invest 100% of himself when he's teaching and feels his success is depended on your success at learning what he's presented. Their aren't many teachers, fish taxidermist or not, that are like that.

13. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

The measure of agood teacher in my opinion isn't how well you do while at the school but how well you retained the material presented. This is the true measure of a high caliber teacher. Often this depends on the student's desire to be there but still it is the teachers job to have you leave with the knowledge. When selecting a workshop I suggest looking at the work students have done after the classes. I frequently refer classes to Rick especially if the student wants to utilize real parts(fins,heads). I spent 3 days with Bruce Sten and Rick Krane and although I don't do anything exactly as taught in those classes the info gleaned was invaluable to me.
    One thing that is certain the more you learn the more you realize you don't know.

Ultimately the succes of the student lies in the determination of the student---never quit learning,--never!

Good luck with whomever you choose to train with----you seem to have the determination necessary to go on to great achievments.

14. Taxidermy101

Taxidermy101 New Member

That is great advice by a great fish guy. I have posted my post student work after attending Ricks workshop and check out Travis P . Young Stanly N and Jimmy Lawrence's work post Ricks as well. I thank Gary for making this point as it is up to what we do once we leave the workshops with who ever. Tax101

15. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

I agree with Gary. ANY and ALL knowledge you can aquire is good!! I spent half my time scratching my head, and getting upset at Ricks. Not because of him, but because of all the time I had "wasted" by not taking the time to truly learn. Fish themselves are our greatest teacher. They give us everything we need to know! We just need someone to tell us how to reproduce/re-create what we see and need to achieve. What your own personal goals are should in fact determine where you are best suited to go to learn. And its great for those that have been down that road,(Rick, Gary, etc) and made the mistakes we beginners make and learned from them to teach us so we in turn dont do the same. Long post, but I hope all gets my point.