1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Making your own hide paste (Only $11.40 a gallon with shipping)

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by michael p., Sep 8, 2007.

1. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

George, I may not have had mine mixed thick enough when I tried the Roman brand. I had tried it before Michael ever posted this thread and I didn't mix near as much dextrin into it, so it may work fine if mixed right.

2. I mixed 2 gallons of Romans with 10lbs of dextrine and its definitely thick enough and very tacky, i will let you all know how it works out in a week or so

3. Marc A

Marc A Beaver Creek Taxidermy

How long will it last in the closed bucket after mixing ?

4. Matt

Matt Active Member

Guys, just a note, the Roman brand has been used for a good while now by some and you will hear about it more and more if you haven't already. I have been using it for about 6 months now and it is by far the best adhesive I have used. It has about the same set up as buckeye, and the adhesion is excellent. I used to use the dynamite with dextrine, but the Roman is better in my oppinion, and you don't have to use the dextrine with it. I use it straight out of the container after mixing it thoroughly with a drill.

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

It works out to be around 18.00-19.00/gal if some were interested in the price, and there's no shipping.

6. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Im not sure what you guys are calling "Roman" but here it was Gibson Homan. Its been changed to Gardner Gibson Dynamite. Its Non strippable heavy Duty Clay wallcovering adhesive 111. My store didnt have this in stock, but I ordered it, and they gave me the order info. Now, heres the label, their scu number, ask them for this...

Dyn 111 HD Cla

Thats what I got, and its the same stuff as the old stuff Michael used to talk about. Ive used 5 of the 5gal pails of it already, so I think its safe to say hes right, it works. I put dextrine in it, thats all. I love it. I still use Mckenzie or Supreme on faces, I just prefer it that way. Thanks Michael, the stuff doesnt seem so sticky, but, it works!!

7. Becky P

Bill, there is a Roman brand. http://www.romanadhesives.com/pro.html I think the Pro 732 was the one I used for a while.

8. Matt

Matt Active Member

Becky, I looked at the link you have and that doesn't look like the stuff I bought. The label doesn't look the same. Hilton Eppley is the one who really turned me on to this adhesive when I was there a few months ago mounting some wts with him. I will have to look at my label tomorrow in the shop. In my oppinion after using it, there is no comparison between the Roman and the Dynamite, I have to admit the Roman is a better adhesive.

9. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Bill's got the right stuff right there.

10. Bill Yox

Mike, let em work it out for themselves, if the other brands doing it for them, we all win, I guess. Hey, you know what? When that stuff was getting DCed for the newer name, I actually bought a pallet of that glue...get this, at $3.00 per 5 gallon bucket! Lol, I cant even buy empty buckets for 3 bucks, hahahaha.

11. Becky P

I had very mixed results with the Roman brand. I have the "right" stuff now ;)

Matt, I think the last time I had bought it, it had a "new look" label, but it's been a while so I couldn't tell you which one was which. It's been over a year, then I went back to Buckeye, now I'm using MP's mix.

12. cattrax

cattrax Beats being in the shop!

I've been using this stuff (the dynamite brand) for about six months now. I bought it for $35 for 5 gallons. It was a little tough to find. The Sherwin Williams people just looked at me funny. Manny Chavez was at our show in Feb. and I think he's using the Roman brand. I mix a little different. Each gallon also has a shot of white glue and a tube of Dap siliconized latex caulk. I used AFG before and this paste is superior and has been said, it will not mold.

13. jorgy

jorgy Member

I went last week to try the Dynamite 111 and they don't carry it in the area I live in. They did have the commercial grade clay based 732 at Sherwin Williams.

I tried a test piece with adding nothing to it. Then I added the 20 lbs. of McKenzie to half a bucket of the 732. It is really thick, almost like peanut butter. It does spread pretty good though. I then did a test piece of that.

The one that I tried straight did a decent job. The mixed stuff ripped foam off and the leather pulled apart when I tried to pull it off. It really holds. I did 4 shoulder mounts last week using it and only put pins in ther corner of the eye and tear gland.

They are tight as can be. I opened an account at Sherwin Williams and got the 5 gallons for less than $30.

14. Ok, i have mounted things now with my roman/dextrine mixture and i have to say that i love it, great grip and holding power and easy to work with, i will be using my new mixture from now on.... I took 2 gallons of romans and 10lbs of dextrine and mixed it in a 5 gallon bucket..... this is truly great stuff

15. Todd K

Todd K New Member

I have been using the dynamite mix for about 4 months now and I too like it. I mix in less dextrin then others cuz I prefer the mix not so thick. I have noticed green mold in the bucket though. Not much but some. I only mix about a cup to 1 gallon. Also, I dont use it on the face or ears, I still use Buckeye supreme in those areas. Matt told me about the Roman and I will try that but not til my Dynamite is gone. I have noticed that the Dynamite/dextrin mix gets a little to hard to use on the face and ears, plus I had some drumming on the ears and they dont stay as flexible with that mix. Still good stuff though, and a real savings in the shop!

16. Bill Yox

Todd, me too. I see some mold in my mix if I havent used that type of glue in a few extra days. You know how some of it thickens up in the pail? Try THAT around the facial details, its not too bad. I too prefer supreme or McKenzie there and ears, though, just like you. Surprisingly, a little goes a long way with this glue too.

17. Todd K

Todd K New Member

One thing I should have mentioned, I only do 2 maybe 3 heads a week and sometimes I dont do any for 2 weeks. I think thats why the mold grows in my bucket of glue. As far as why the mold grows...Its got to be the dextrin. I'm surprised how long a bucket of Buckeye will last if only used on face and ears! And the Dynamite goes a long, long way too! I purchased my 5 gal. bucket when all you guys and girls first started talking agout it. I still have 2 gallons left and I have done 3 LS coyotes, and 2 lifesize bears and around 25 shoulder mount WT's. Thanks to whoever turned me on to this stuff!!!!!!!!

18. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I never had any type of mold problem using straight Joe Coombs hide paste or McKenzie in the mix....but I started adding alot of dextrine in with the combo & tonight I opened a bucket I had set back & for the first time I had some mold. BUT, doesn't the Coombs & Mckenzie dry pastes both include dextrine, or atleast i'm pretty sure they do ::)

Still bar none, the best combination out of all the different mixtures I have tried is the "Gardner Gibson Dynamite 111" purchased at Sherman Williams mixed solely with the Joe Coombs dry hide paste to the consistency suitable for your tastes. Just my 2 cents, but this combo is the very best in my opinion.

19. Becky P

Yep, I had mold issues too when I was using Roman and dextrine, so far with 111 and McKenzie hide paste I haven't had any.

20. cattrax

cattrax Beats being in the shop!

I'm a little surprised at the mold some of you are getting. Maybe I'm using it up too quick. Either way I'm pretty tickled with the mix. I use white dextrine made fairly thick. I know that this dextrine would mold like crazy if mixed with water. Manny C. said he added bactericide to his. When I made the old dextrine mix with water I used to add a shot of Pine Sol. It would keep mold down for quite a while. When I get to the bottom of the next batch, I'm gonna leave a little just to see how long it takes to mold up.

Michael, Any idea what's in the Coombs stuff besides dextrine? I just figured it was fiber and whiting like I used to mix together with dextrine.