1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Making your own hide paste (Only $11.40 a gallon with shipping)

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by michael p., Sep 8, 2007.

1. Nyati

Nyati I love tahr huntin

I'm having trouble finding anything like Dynamite 111 here in New Zealand. Could someone let me know who makes it or the names of similar products so I can try and find something here. So far I've been using one part hot water, one park PVA glue (white wood glue) and then thicken it with dextrine. It works OK but I'm keen to try this mixture.

Thanks

Mark

2. I hear ya... I dont think i will have mold issues with it either because i use it up 2 fast, I am going through 3 gallons a week and my mixture makes almost 4 gallons

3. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

I just bought a 5 gal bucket of dynamite 111 from a local supplier ICI Paints in Altoona for $23.00. That is a darn good price. No shipping either! :) I am looking forward to trying this stuff out.

4. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Hey guys (and girls ;) ) after going back & forth for months between the Coombs & McKenzie dry Hide Paste in the mix I have to say stick 100% with Coombs. McKenzie's dry hide paste just doesn't hold a candle to Coombs as far a tac.

5. Michael Shipman

Michael Shipman Killen Merriams in SD

I agree when i first tried i used Mckenzie and I didn't think it was all that great. Then I tried Coombs and their is a big difference

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I would try your mix out, but according to the first page of this tread, I would need a mexican gal to mix it for me, and I don't have one of those.

7. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

T, don't forget those snow-white sneakers.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

And the Capri's, I don't and won't wear/ware them.

9. 300savage

300savage Life Is Good

PA
    Paul you would also have to spike your hair.........ooooops sorry ;D

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

LOL, I can spike the sides.

11. horntrapper

horntrapper New Member

To help with mold add one cup of concentrated lysol to the mixture of five gallons of paste

12. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

Living in Minnesota, I would like to knbow if you have any problem in the winter with very low humidity?

13. chinaone

chinaone New Member

I`m having trouble finding anything like Dynamite 111 here in China.Perhaps it is there, but I have not found it.
    Could someone let me know who makes it or the names of similar products and The nature of its components, so I can try and find something here.
    Thanks!

14. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Try looking for a clay based wall paper adhesive.

15. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

The trick is getting a VOV..."Vinyl over vinyl" wallpaper adhesive. I'm sure there are products in China that are similar.

16. russell p

russell p New Member

Can u use this paste with a dry preserved hide? Thanks Russ

17. cooper669

cooper669 New Member

How much taxi time are you guys getting with this stuff before it kicks?

18. northernmontana

northernmontana Active Member

great post

19. cooper669

cooper669 New Member

I mixed up my first small batch. 1 1/4 gal of dynamite 111 and 10 lbs. of Joe Coombs hide paste mix. By the time it was mixed up the drill was getting ripped out of my hands, that is some thick stuff and talk about tacky, damn. I can't wait to use it on my next mount. Thanks in advance Michael.

20. :-[after mixing the to together, how long will the mixture last if i kept it in a closed container? because just to do one cape deerhead i wouldnt need that much. and should i not use the clay based ?