1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Making your own hide paste (Only $11.40 a gallon with shipping)

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by michael p., Sep 8, 2007.

1. birdtaxi

birdtaxi Higer Ground taxidermy

can you use just the dynamite 11 wall paper by itself or do you need to add a dry hide paste of some sort? cuase it seems really strong to me without the dry paste just curous?

thanks kyle

2. dktaxidermy

dktaxidermy I'm on top of the dirt; how bad can it be?

What a wonderfully long thread. lol. actually I'm wondering if anyone is still able to get the 111 wallpaper paste. Sherwin Williams sold it to a german company and my SW dealer is unable to get the dynamite 111 or the new name from the german company. A search on google reveals no source for it that is still viable.

stay warm and keep your powder dry!

3. pgust

pgust New Member

I just purchased 2 one gallon containers of Dynamite 111 from Wall Paper Warehouse (inside Benjamin Moore store) in Salt Lake City.
    Its manufactured by Gardner-Gibson and runs about $11/gallon container. I don't do more than 4 or 5 heads a year so did not want to go the 5 gallon route.The manager is Cindy Daniels, 250 West 2100 South Salt Lake City UT 84115. PH# 801-485-4618 Fax 801 467-9761.
    She said there was also a Wallpaper Warehouse store in Sandy Utah that carries the Dynamite 111.
    Hope this helps.
    Paul

4. Wow a 5 year old post still up. Pretty cool. Elephant snot?

5. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Hidepaste and Vermiculite mixed together.

6. Troy Rose

Troy Rose Learning...one of life's greatest treasures!

I've been using the Dynamite Heavy Duty Wall 111 Clay Covering Adhesive for 15 plus years...The company has changed names a few times over the years, but the product still seems to be the same. I can say the price has almost doubled in the last 5-7 years. It use to run about $27 for a five gallon bucket. The last bucket I just bought cost me $52. I use to add 10 lbs of Dextrine(mixed first) and a case of DAP Latex Caulk plus Silicone in Brilliant White(Contractors Pack). The caulk has also doubled in price as well. You will need a paint mixer of some sort that goes on your drill to mix the caulk and paste and an empty 5 gallon bucket to put one half of the paste in. Anyhow, I was getting BAD mold build up. Tried all sorts of things to curb it but no such luck. I completely quit using the Dextrin and my mold problem went away. Just don't leave anything in the bucket to contaminate it...i.e wood handled paint brush(use a plastic one). So bottom line, between the past and the caulk it makes great hide paste, easy clean up and great work time at a third of the cost of some of the actual "Hide Paste" the Supply Companies sell. I am still able to purchase the paste at Sherwin-Williams Paint Stores. You can get the caulk at Home Depot. Between the two(5 gallons of past and one case of caulk) it makes about seven gallons.

[​IMG]

Dynamite® 111
    Heavy Duty Clay Non-Strippable Wallcovering Adhesive
    Maximum dry adhesion
    Prevents seam spreading and curling
    Strong wet tack

7. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

Just a note to anyone actually trying to use this method. 1. No one in all of the stores in my area has this product anymore but after many, many, many tries I finally found a way to get it and still avoid shipping costs. I just called and had Sherwin Williams order it since they Cary it online and then I picked it up from the store.

8. I just went to the Sherwin Williams in town and they had 5gallons of dynamite 111 that was out dated. He shook it up and it looked just like new. So I got it for 20 bucks. Just like Black Friday....lol

9. dablaw

dablaw Member

My SW store gets it for me for 18.75 + tax anytime i need it.. Just mixed up another 5 gallons tonight as a matter of fact..Love the stuff...Thanks MP for the tips.

10. celebrityhair

celebrityhair New Member

Very attractive

11. If I can find the Dynamite 111, I will be making this. Thanks.

12. any problem with mixing dynamite 111 with just dry powder clay to thicken it up? I heard it might mold on you

13. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

We are adding McKenzies powdered hide paste not plain dry clay...is that something new you are speaking of you have heard elsewhere?

14. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Keep it cool

15. Thanks Mike, I just got my 5 gallon of Dynamite Heavy Duty Wall 111 Clay Covering Adhesive from Sherwin Williams.

If you set up an account with Sherwin Williams you get 10% off anything you buy. It cost me $10.34 a gallon X 5 = $55.06 out the door with the discount.

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

you do know that you can use that straight without adding anything else to it? Just say'n. ;)

17. That might work Shasta.

18. osbornetaxidermy

osbornetaxidermy New Member