1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish Taxidermy Tips?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Sep 8, 2007.

1. den007

den007 Active Member

Hey Cecil.....good to see you back on here! Here is a tiip.....when they are available, try Black Forest Fish Eyes.........they are wacky good! I know you have seen them.......and you are not tied to any company. What do you think????? People respect your opinion!

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Dennis, I think that's an old post dated November 13th, 2007. I'm afraid some folks picked on Cecil once too often...

3. Yep its an old post Cecil is Long gone.

4. tracy

tracy coon dogs

that is to bad to. he was always a great help to all of us fish heads on this site
    just like any thing else it only takes a few to ruin it for the rest

5. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    Haven't seen any activity in this thread for quite some time but came up with something that may be of help to some of you. Yesterday I went to the local Goodwill Thrift store and found a brand new travel case containing 75 pieces of cosmetics and associate appliers. Lots of nice powders to use on fish and it only cost $6.96 and then I got a 25% discount 'cause I'm a 'senior citizen.' Over the years I've found lots of items that worked well in the taxidermy shop and the prices are always great. Sometimes just takes a little imagination as to how to adapt or use the item.

Check it out...................jerry

6. FishArt

Question for you expert woodworkers (and people with BRAINS - lol!) One problem in my shop that still haunts me is when drilling into a panel to attach a hanger. I don't have a drill press. Panel is 3/4" inch thick and I want to set my holes about a 1/2" deep. I've been "eye-balling" things and have been lucky I haven't popped thru to the show side. I've tried marking the drill bit with color, but that doesn't work. There's got to be a simple solution. Anybody have any ideas how to do something like this w/o a drill press?

7. Something like this perhaps? I think it's called a stop collar and is available in different sizes.

Attached Files:

8. ryanstraw

ryanstraw my first brook trout on a fly 13"

In woodshop we just measure how deep we need to go onto the drill bit then wrap it in a bit of masking tape and when you hit the tape you're deep enough. By the way I just read about using broom fibers to fix fins would this work for a pedestal mount by just shoving it into the fin or something and what would I use to surround it and recreate the fin?

9. FishArt

I like BOTH ideas Ryan and Kevin - thanks!

10. hambone

hambone Member

Here's a great tip especially for those new to this site, go to the top of the Fish Taxidermy site and click on Sunday Morning Questions and pack a lunch cause you'll be there for awhile, enjoy. :)

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Noah,

Thanks for reviving this thread. I 'm back and I'm not going anywhere unless I get kicked off beccause I don 't have the sense to stay out of the Current Events section. If I can find my camera I'll replace pics here that were removed previously.

Lot of more tips to add but I need to get back to work.

12. jbaker

jbaker New Member

I'm with Cecil, I should be working but I'm gonna post a tip anyway. This is the method that I use for my fish carving foam, I picked this up on here some years ago. 4'x8'x2" foam insulation can be picked up at most every lumber yard for $20-$25 and can be glued together to fit whatever you need. I use a metal spray can that is compressed with air to shoot a fine mist of gas over the sheets i want to glue. (you can glue alot of foam for $2 worth of gas!)
    [​IMG]
    Then I put some weight on it for 5 to ten minutes, usually have a few bags of salt around that I throw on it.
    [​IMG]
    For about $9 (todays price) I have a 16"x4'x2" piece of foam ready to carve fish.
    [​IMG]
    A bandsaw definately helps with this method to cut out the rough shape and the bread knife doesn't work for carving it very well but a cheap rasp from the hardware store is perfect for it.
    [​IMG]
    After you get the hang of it you can carve a body in no time and save alot of money(to buy that bandsaw you want). Now I'm now expert fish carver and the body might need a little fine tuning after test fitting. The rough texture and the pink color are both smoothed out and covered up with the white acrylic latex caulk that I use as my fish glue.
    [​IMG]

13. FishArt

Jbaker - nice little presentation! FYI, you can use either Lacquer Thinner or Spray adhesive (I like 3M 77) to glue your foam pieces together vs. using gasoline. With the flashpoint gas has, that's an accident waiting to happen...

14. jbaker

jbaker New Member

Ok, one more tip. I have a tv in front of my painting table that I have hooked up to my laptop with an hdmi cable for refence pics or when a customer emails me a picture of their fish I can bring it up while painting and zoom in to see different parts, some of the picture programs will let me adjust light and other things on their pics too if they are not of high quality. Meanwhile my laptop stays out of the dust and other airborne debris (cause we all now these aren't cheap!) and the wireless mouse will work from a room away. Also works good for netflix when you get tired of the radio!
    [​IMG]

15. FishArt

I use a cheap 8x10 digital photo frame to load my ref pics on. Cheaper than a t.v....

16. jbaker

jbaker New Member

Good point on the gas Marty plus if you don't have a good exhaust fan it stinks up the shop pretty bad. I have used the differnt spray adhesives but it seemed I was spending alot of $ on them. I will try the laquer.

17. FishArt

Ryan, great tip on the tape/drill bit! I just tried it and it worked very well. I had painters tape lying around and it was quite bright to see even for these older eyes. Don't know why I didn't think of it, but sometimes that's why I visit this site! BTW, I set up two of the extra drill bits I had with tape on them permanently so they're ready to go with a prescribed depth for what I use mostly.

Jbaker, I WISH I had a t.v. in my shop! I'm set up for it - I should just go out and buy a cheapo set. It would be for T.V. though, NOT ref pics - lol!

18. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    I recently used a can of clear acrylic gloss for the first time. Seemed to work fairly well. The question came to mind, "Where did I buy this?" Could be anyone of a number of stores I frequent. At that point it seemed logical to me to write the vendor's/store's name on the container when I purchase something like that so if I do discover something I want to purchase more of, the task will be simplified.

Jerry

19. fougair

fougair New Member

I like to use paint stir sticks used for 5gal buckets of paint to attach to the fish they are sturdy and with a hole at the end of it hangs nicely on a wall to dry the fish and free !

20. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Marty,

However with the spray adhesive what happens when you're sanding or carving and you hit the adhesive?

Btw i know this thread is old but it's time to start adding more tips and replace those pictures!

I'll be back soon!