1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Artificial rocks

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by TrailsEnd, Oct 20, 2006.

1. I make my own

45 vote(s)
    68.2%
  2. I buy my rocks

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. Buy some and make some

20 vote(s)
    30.3%
  1. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

I'm just curious as to how many people make their own artificial rocks. The price of commercial rocks isn't very economical when you consider that you can make your own at a fraction of the cost.

2. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

i make em! time consuming...but it's good time fiiler..

Jon~

3. Matt

Matt New Member

I make my own, I find it alot more economical, and it's enjoying to create different sizes and shapes.

4. Kenny

Kenny New Member

I have only done a few, but I really enjoy it.

5. daniel

daniel New Member

matt shame you cut the head of that eidur drake :) picture DANIEL

6. Muthagoose

Muthagoose You do your thing, I'll do mine.....

RTV molds and pouracast.. Flexable till set so any configuration possible by flexing the rtv mold.Durable bonding haner and support frame work is simple. Hide/leather stain dont scratch off and with a laquer thinner wash gives excellent coloring without getting into a repeating pattern...
    Super light weight I just poured my new floor/wall rocks with the largest at 24"X30"X!0" weighing only 2lbs...The rock cost me about$3-5 depending on how I fill it..Ive been useing ground packing peanuts mixed with 3.5lb foam................. CHEAP........................ then again I make all my own fence posts,knotholes,fungi, ect this way. No sculpting just copy what nature provides and flex the mold to what I want..

7. Jims Wildlife Studio

Jims Wildlife Studio Full Time PA Taxidermist

I make them, Some times you don't have a choice. Depending on the pose of the mount. There are many way's to achieve this, Grueby's way is the most economical for large rock bases and shelf's.

8. Mostly make my own due to shapes i like and need for particular mounts.

9. rbt

rbt What do you think he will score?

It is a good way to get rid of messed up alteration forms.

10. sawtooth taxi

sawtooth taxi New Member

When it's time to make rocks I call in my 6 year old. She loves to get into the mess. I cut the foam, she coats and paints. Great way to spend some shop time with the kids.

11. For artificial rocks less than three inches you can't beat Art. Rocks. Granted, I may be a bit biased because I am the manufacturer, but the Taxidermists who use them love them and they save time. No messing with foam and waiting for it to set up. Just open the bag and paint. Most of the supply catalogs carry them around $7.00 per pound.
    See the whole line at www.art-rocks.net