1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

wondering about the eyes

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by ladyarcher726, Sep 12, 2007.

1. ladyarcher726

ladyarcher726 2012: 1st & best of category

I'm a great admirer of your skills, and I can spend hours looking at and enjoying mounts and what can be done. My question tho concerns the eyes of bobcats and coyotes... why is it that they so often look like they downed a pot of coffee before they were stuffed? :D
    Seriously, I've seen many many mounts of bobcats and coyotes, and there are very few that I could say I would be satisifed with if I were the paying customer. Are these animals more difficult to mount, or is it just poor craftsmanship? So many of them are bug-eyed, and I've seen some bobcats where the entire front of the face looks, well, almost deformed, where the nose is almost flat on the face, not natural at all.
    Could someone please explain this to me? Are there certain questions that we as customers should ask prior to handing over our trophy?
    Thanks so much!

2. J. Sonner

J. Sonner New Member

The biggest problem I see in our industry is the lack of serious study and use of reference. Someone goes to a weekend course, puts up a sign and they are a taxidermist. Mot have no clue and only last a couple years in the business.Cats and canines have a "look" that can't be reproduced without some knowledge and study. The difference in the way the forms are sculpted from the manufacturers makes it hard to have a set procedure that works for each one everytime. Some are more accurate, some require alterations to be accurate, some are so grossly innacurrate they should be discontinued from production. As the customer I would look at everything the artist has done and see if it strikes you as "lifelike". Even a deer head should tell you a little bit about the taxis skill. If you can check out a couple different taxis and compare their work, I am sure that one will stand above the others. There are way to many areas that can be discussed-eyes, ears, nose,lip line, hair alignment, seams, feet, tails, overall body structure and anatomy to be able to talk about them here. Just look for a taxi that does work that you think meets your needs and go for it. There are many websites for shops out there nowdays and some of them are absolutely beautiful artists. Hope this helps a little bit.

3. choo choo charlie

choo choo charlie I feel pretty good for the way I feel

I have spent and still spend hours and hours looking at and studying reference pictures and live animals to try and gain that "look".
    No two animals or fish will look the same and each has a different expression in relation to the pose or situation of the particular mount.
    I try to take into consideration the pose as well as the intended habitat before deciding on eye set.
    I may have mounted as many as 100 mammals, deer, coyote, fox, coon etc and about as many fish before I even considered myself capable of offering my self as a taxidermist.
    I have mounted fish and mammals from all parts of the country and am amazed at the regional difference in each animal.
    On most mammal forms I dremal out the eye orbit to about he size of a half dollar before rebuilding to fit the animal.
    Every taxidermist should know when they have the "look" of the particular animal they are working with.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LMAO Lady, it's very easy to be the critic. Now that your interest is here, let us know in a couple of years the answer to the question you posed. The best reference in the world is worthless if you can't recreate it in a realistic lifelike appearance. Those that can charge more for that talent than those who can't.

5. bowhunterj

bowhunterj New Member

Ladyarcher, Welcome. I would have to say that there are some very new people on here to learn . so they post their work to get some input from the "Masters" of our proffession . if you spend much time on here you will be able to know the difference. And yes the eyes are in my opinion the most difficult to get right. A soft touch and the use of as little tool use as possible is what i use to get my best results.

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

All the reference in the world isn't going to help you if you cannot interperate the reference you are looking at. Start with a good wildlife artist, and soak up as much info as you can from him or her. There is some talent in this business, you just have to find it first, and hope you have or develope some along the way. Good luck and enjoy this rewarding profession.

7. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

I may be a minority, but I generally try to "become" the animal. What am I looking at? Am I scared? Curious? Relaxed? hard to explain, but you do have to be able to look at the reference and apply it to whatever animal you are mounting, but do it with "feeling." Clear as mud now eh?

8. ladyarcher726

ladyarcher726 2012: 1st & best of category

thanks for the replies!
    Please don't think that I was being critical of anyones work here, I wasn't. It's just a question that I've had for some time because there have been so many bobcats I've seen that just didn't do justice to that animal.
    Yes George, it is easy being a critic, especially when you don't yet understand the work that really goes into it. I hope to learn tho!!!