1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

just a question

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by riddlesx, Oct 20, 2006.

1. riddlesx

riddlesx Guest

I'm a taxidermist in connecticut and my family has a cabin in Maine. We're currently remodeling and making it bigger and I'd like to put some mounts there. My question is, how bad is it to put up mounts in a non-climate controlled environment year-round? We'll go up as often as we can in the winter to snowmobile and hunt, but it's pretty much freezing and cold with no heat when we're not there. What can I expect to happen to a mount? Thanks.

2. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I think heat and humidity take a bigger toll on mounts than the cold does.

3. weekley2006

weekley2006 New Member

I have had some old mounts in a none heated place for a few years and they are fine a little dusty but just fine. ( they are old small deer that are hard to sell)

4. Jims Wildlife Studio

Jims Wildlife Studio Full Time PA Taxidermist

I also agreewith Becky and weekley, Over a period of time the worst thing that can happen is the paint may crack in the sculpted area's if it is extremely cold, but will not harm the mount.

5. I have some old mounts in our cabin for the last 5 years. They seem fine. I agree with the cold and hot issue. I don't keep my show room heated in the winter. I do however keep it cool in the summer with AC. I also use a de-humidifier when it seems humid. I think your mounts will be fine in the cabin. They are old mounts anyway right? I would worry more that someone would break in the cabin and steel them more than anything. :-\