1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Molding and Casting Artificial Bird Heads

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by jeremy, Sep 12, 2007.

1. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Re: For those that want to try to cast heads but havent yet.

Featherhorn, my statment about silicone not sticking to anything was not correct, of course silicone sticks to stuff, we use as a everyday sealant and adhesive. What I should have said is that many things will not stick to silicone when it has dried except its self.
    If you are using synlube as a release and are using the plain old silicone ( not siliconized accrylic or the newer elastromastic types that are out there then it should be working for you as it has for myself and many others. What brand and type of silicone are you using.

2. FeatherHorn

FeatherHorn New Member

I used the GE 100% silicone like you said in your tutorial right?

3. jeremy

Yep, thats the stuff. Have you tried to cast a fresh frozen head yet? Give that a try and see how it works for you. Its possible the cast head that your trying to recast has something in it that silicone really wants to stick too. But even with a good coat of synlube on it, it should be releasing for you. I usually recast a cast in a RTV silicone once I'm happy with it, but I have recast a headcast using the plain old Wallmart silicone without issues. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you. Let us know if you get it figured out

4. FeatherHorn

FeatherHorn New Member

Thanks for the help :)

5. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

jeremy where can i find synlube? i'm going to try and cast a few next week. is there anything else that i can use as a release agent?

6. jeremy

I get mine from Van dykes. I havent tried anything else but the synlube, its not expensive and will last a long time.

7. hey im planin on makin decoys with the geese i shoot, havnt done one yet but am readin up on everything before i get one. would i be wise to do this for the heads or try and mount the full neck and skull instead.

8. jerremy, thanks your mold and casting tutorial are great surplus of information, thanks for sharing them with us!!!

9. jeremy

Your Welcome. ;)

10. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Well, GE has two kinds of 100% silicone. Version I and version II. Version I seems to work okay, but I don't know about version II.
    I don't know what caused my latest attempt at casting a head to fail, but it MAY have been the fact that I mixed the two different kinds of silicone together, or it may be that version II will not set at all if mixed with paint ... I dunno. But what a mess. (My Walmart only had one tube of GE silicone version I left.)
    I have to try to salvage this mold, regardless, because this stupid bird is too huge to use a commercial head.

11. 2wbdft

2wbdft Member

Nancy, i could have sworn the latest mold i made is of the GE II stuff (didnt have a problem)...i'll check when i get home tonight and reply back. Maybe you have a bad batch on your hands??

12. 2wbdft

2wbdft Member

yep, it was the II stuff, i cant imagine what may have happened with your mold???

13. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I don't know either, but I managed to scrape off all of the goo and then I scrubbed it good with xylol.
    I re-coated it with version I and it set up properly. 'Just got my first pull out of the mold and it's a keeper, although I don't know if a second pull will be worth the trouble or not.
    It was from a 27 year old mute swan - huge and gnarly as all get out. His beak knob was so texture-y that it grabbed a lot of the silicone and tore it loose. I don't know if it's worth bothering with making another one or not. What a pain in the neck this thing has turned out to be!

14. 2wbdft

2wbdft Member

good deal, glad it worked for at least a one off!

...now im hesitant about my four new tubes of version II?

15. jward

jward First with a bow

the head will just slide out of the silicone I assume? How many times can you use the mold or is it a use and discard?

16. Rocky Mtn Robert

Rocky Mtn Robert New Member

it is great that the veterans are helping out newbies thanks. i have been talking to locals that pour there own heads they were telling me they use epoxies/bondo mix is this better than fiberglass? what kind of epoxy would be best? is their a price benefit either way?

17. northernmontana

northernmontana Active Member

good post. have done a few and they work good

18. Rocky Mtn Robert

Rocky Mtn Robert New Member

fyi....i ordered some of the synlube from WASCO on it was expensive with shipping $22bucks and its been a week to ship and its still not here. have to wait tillnext week to try.

19. Ptrrorem

Ptrrorem New Member

I did two merganser heads with this method...my first try and they turned out great as far as detail. I didn't use the 50/50 blend of bondo to fb resin and they came out a little sticky, we'll see if they dry out over time. Do the tutorial EXACTLY like Jeremy wrote it and it works. Good job Jeremy! Also, when your in the auto supply store buying fiberglass resin, make sure to buy an extra bottle/can/tubes of fb resin hardener. They only give you a little dinky tube with the resin and it doesn't take much but I needed extra for the mix to harden. Also, a piece of scotch tape around the bill and a spritz of water in the mouth before freezing helps keep the mouth shut. Also, my molds weren't as thick as Jeremy's but they still came out great. I kept it thinner with the small pointy bill of the mergansers. I taped my molds back together with duct tape but I think hot glue would be better now that I've tried a couple. Hope that helps a little.

20. tobo

tobo New Member

Hello

Is it possible to do artificial body this way?

Tanks