1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dispatching form Heres a Nice Coon Topic

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by 12Point, Oct 21, 2006.

1. 12Point

12Point New Member

Boy there was a lot of reading there, as I read it looked to me almost everyone wanted to read between the lines and not what was really said. I can agree and disagree with allot that was said and that doesn't make me right or wrong, only an oppinion.There are taxidermist and trappers and some taxidermist that are trappers, probably more than we know.I am learning taxidermy and don't mind seeing dead animals skinning dead animals, I live out in the country and thought about doing a little trapping come Nov. 4 to give me some coons to practice on without paying money.My problem is finding a humane way to dispatch the animal. I will be using a live trap so I don't hurt any dogs which I have 2 .I don't want to shoot either. I have heard of putting them down by using muffler exhaust that was humane I cant think drowning would be very humane ,,Any Ideas Kinda dumb here but I hunt deer every year late muzzle. and I am a pretty good shot but still times when I have to trail the deer 100 yards is just as fun or funner than shooting the deer and guaranteed that deer is in real bad pain from that 50 caliber hollow point bullet gone through him, and running. Or when we shoot a deer and wait hours for him to die not helping the process along.All different ways to look at the subject. I can do all that but have a hard time putting a small animal down. WHAT IS THE MOST HUMANE WAY TO PUT A TRAPPED ANIMAL DOWN?????????????

2. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

.22 to the brain box or carbon monoxide is quick.

3. Dean

Dean New Member

Drowning works good and is fast. Long needle and syringe with acetone in the chest is also fast. It works on skunks with a stick pole syringe.

4. BlackHawk

BlackHawk The Champion

WI
    I also am a trapper. I generally dispatch them useing a .22 short with a solid point(they do not expand), a bullet in the brain and they will not know what hit them. However, I was once told of a way you can dispatch it with just one bullet hole. You approach the animal with a .22 rifle ,let them bite the barrel, position their head and neck so that the bullet will travel down their throat into their vitals and out the their back end or belly. I never did try this because I did not want to scratch the barrel.

5. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

However, that will not work if you save skulls! I think the other methods that people use other than a bullet are because they save and sell the skulls.

6. 12Point

12Point New Member

people talk about injecting them what do they use and where do you get it and is it painless??

7. Dean

Dean New Member

12 point, read my post again. acetone in the heart.

8. adkgirl

adkgirl Active Member

I know a number of trappers who hit them in the head with a stick or a bat and stand on their chest and throat to suffocate them when they are knocked out. Old time trappers would do that to have an unmarred pelt.

9. Dean

Dean New Member

adkgirl, yes that is the way it is done with fox and coyote a tap on the head and it stuns them. Then put pressure on their chest with your foot. It goes quick. Coon can take a little more than that. As 12 point posted he didn'nt want to shoot them either. Injecting or drowning if you're using a live trap. One thing with a live trap is they can beat their face up moving back and forth in it. There are dog proof traps sold. There are the egg traps and a smaller box type trap. Bait is put inside the trap the coon reaches in to get to it. He then grabs the trigger and sets the trap off holding him in there until you arrive. Dogs can not reach in to the trap.

10. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

I have set up a 220 conibear in front of the cage trap, but I first turn it over and insert rebar stakes through the meshing, so that they are close together ( you wouldn't believe the space a coon can squeeze through). After this I open the door and gravity holds it down onto the ground. Then I set a 220 in front of the trap and stabalize it well AND stake it down too. This should work on real big coons, use a 160 for smaller, but you need to block the top above the conibear so the coon doesn't try to climb over it. When ready remove the rebar stakes and the coon will try to leave and be caught in the conibear. Not the best, but bloodless, some coons will not succumb right away and you may not like it. If caught good on the neck over the throat they will be unconcious in 20 seconds if not right away. Leave the trap on them for 10 minutes.

Otherwise do as I do- shoot them in the head and clean the cage of blood afterwards. If you have access to a CO2 chamber, use it instead. But not many people have these, though they are made portable and the size to fit a large cage trap into and for sale by some nuisance control trapper suppliers.

Drowning a coon can work too, but don't watch. I have had to drown a few live ones and it takes a few minutes and you have to keep them down a bit longer. I hate doing it, so if I want to drown one the trap is set in water and rigged to go one way down a slide cable into deep water with a heavy weight down there.

Please do not inject a coon with acetone, they are not skunks, something about skunks allows this to be used well on them, but coons you will end up with a bit needle and if you do stick them may just hurt them and kill them slow. It is too bad it is hard to get sodium pentobarbitol, but some states allow possession but you must get from a vet. It can't be sold to you. If you can get it and have it legally, a small dose is all that is needed and can be injected in a choice of locations and put a coon down fast. Ask Bob Wendt who posts stuff for sale, about it. He uses it on skunks and some other critters. With a skunk it immobolizes it in 1-2 seconds.

11. Again I am going to poke my head in the door and say "DROWNING!!!"...peaceful, quick way for animal to die...no damage to anything, especially if you are like me a try to utilize every aspect of the animal...(Guess the Native American part of me doen't want the animal to come back to haunt him for dishonoring its soul).

12. Dean

Dean New Member

trappersteph, I agree with you on probably not using it on coon. They would have the syringe and needle broke because of how aggressive they would be. On skunks they are stubborn and will actually push back toward the syringe as you poke them. 12point, Why don't you want to use a 22. It would be the quickest most humane way to put it down. I get the impression your uncomfortable shooting them when I reread your post and you said "you don't mind seeing dead animals or skinning dead animals. If you are uneasy about shooting one, ask someone to shoot it for you until you get more comfortable around dead animals. Good luck

13. 12Point

12Point New Member

I wouldnt have a problem shooting an animal except I would like to utilize all the parts skull too. Has anyone tried using a car tailpipe hooked up to trap in a bag or under a box??

14. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

Elkhunter, there is nothing peaceful about drowing, be it animal or human. The frantic fighting as the critter fights for air is anything but peaceful! Plus, I can't imagine trying to hold a handful of coon under the water!! :-\ I don't trap (have traps, don't have time!) but if I did I'd probably use a needle, I wouldn't shoot em because I'd save the skull. I would probably try stephs stun/compression method too. I'm surprised Bob Wendt hasn't chimed in :p he always has tons of trapped critters. I know he dispatches skunks with a needle, but i'm not sure about the rest.

15. I would do the needle but since vet school, i have been very ascared of dem needles...a collegue of mine almost injected me with one when we were vaccinating cattle for brucellosis...if i had been hit i would have had permenant menopause for the rest of my life!!!

16. PA

PA Guest

If you are not selling the fur, and you don't wish to damage the skull or make it hard to conceal damage on the short-haired head, simply shoot them in the chest with a .22 - it works quite well, and is much faster than drowning.

17. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

Don't try stunning and chest compression on a coon, doesn't work too well on them and I don't like it, though I was shown a method of it, but it just took too long. It really is just for foxes. They are more delicate animals compared to the others. A bobcat is delicate too, with a catchpole noose around its throat, though they won't come off as delicate! But they choke down very fast and easy. Don't try this with a coon though!

18. you seem to be stuck on the car exhaust if so you can use a 55 gal drum or a 30 gal drum if you need a smaller size place the live trap in, close top remove top bung idle car for a few min and then put bung back on and drive to your next stop or wait 10 or 15 min this worked great I had a few of them I used when I did allot of nuisance work but I finally hooked a tank of co2 to the rig you can get a tank from a beer making shop or a welding supply shop they also will rent them

19. coontrapper

coontrapper Guest

grab the trap with animal inside tie a rope to it and throw it in a lake for a while.... nuttn easier

20. RLDILWORTH

RLDILWORTH LIFE MEMBER NRA AND NTA

what about coyotes and Skunks?