1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bobcat Ear turning (flaps)

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by inkyspal, Sep 13, 2007.

1. inkyspal

inkyspal New Member

GA
    Just hoping I could get some tips on turning that area of a cat's outer ear where the 2 flaps are....I've heard it referred to as the "3rd ear" but I think the technical name for it is the "tragus". Anyway, do most folks - for commercial work - turn those flaps all the way out? When looking at the inside of the turned ear, I have a REALLY difficult time seeing where to make the cut for turning the flaps. Kind of hard to explain...hopefully you experienced taxidermists will know what I'm talking about.

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Your going to get a different answer from some, but I don't feel it's necessary to turn them. Keep an eye on them while they dry.

3. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

i use my thumbnails to turn them when I get to that part. A scalpel will whack em up slicker than anything

4. inkyspal

inkyspal New Member

GA
    Yep....that's what I've found happens, too!
    I have one to mount this weekend...I'm going to try to get them turned w/out destroying them!

5. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

i tan - turn ears - tumble and after tumbling go back and that area will turn with you fingers -i doubt if you really need to though and cole's cats are as good as they get

6. I use a #24 scalphel blade, just go slow and easy no need to be in a hurry.