1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

AWESOME PICS OF MY MONSTER NESTS

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Terry Prouty, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Terry Prouty

Terry Prouty Member

I am an avid collector of the nests of social wasps (yellowjackets, hornets, paper wasps). I have approximately 50 nests in my personal collection now (They are my pride and joy!!!). I prefer to collect the GIANT nests (The bigger the better!). Some of the showpieces in my extensive nest collection include a huge bald-faced "hornet" nest which is 3 feet (36 inches) tall, an enormous red wasp nest from east Texas which is the size of a dinner plate (12 inches across!!!), a large Mexican honey wasp nest from south Texas near the Mexican border, and a giant overwintered, 2-year perennial southern yellowjacket nest from Alabama which was discovered in an atypical aerial situation attached to a 2-story home. Of course, I have many other exceptional nests in my collection. I often refer to my apartment as a "museum of natural history"! LOL!!! I am always looking for more impressive nests to add to my collection. Please let me know if you have access to any. If you don't currently know where any nests are, then please keep me in mind for the future from now on. Thanks! Since you people are into taxidermy, I figure that you might be interested in checking out a MONSTER bald-faced "hornet" nest in my personal collection (It is too bad that I can't include more pics in this post. I would have liked to show you more of my gigantic nests!). I love showing off my nests! Enjoy! :)

2. Re: SHOWING OFF ONE OF MY MONSTER NESTS

Put them on a photobucket link and then post. I have some but no where near that size.

3. TRAPPERGIRL

TRAPPERGIRL Proud Member-Taxidermy M.A.F.I.A. & Taxinet Clique

Re: SHOWING OFF ONE OF MY MONSTER NESTS

I have a few also - but not that big --- In the timber where we hunt i spotted a big one last year thats really big - but its gonna take a looong ladder to reach it ;D

4. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Very cool, maybee Ill stop shooting them and running like h--l and wait tell the winter to get them.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

How did you talk those baldheaded nasties out of their home? They got to be the most agressive attackers. IMO.

6. Terry Prouty

Terry Prouty Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I've created a Flickr account. I will be posting a link to my wasp nest photos soon.

7. Terry Prouty

Terry Prouty Member

How large would you say the big nest which you saw is? The one which I am shown holding is 3 feet tall!

8. Terry Prouty

Terry Prouty Member

Yeah, it is BEST to just leave them alone (as long as they aren't nesting too close to human activity) because they are beneficial to have around since they are major predators on flies and even other yellowjacket species. Then you can collect the nests after they are abandoned in the late fall/early winter and display them in your home as interesting trophies.

9. Terry Prouty

Terry Prouty Member

It is safe to collect their nests during the late fall/early winter when freezing temperatures have set in. This is when wasps die and abandon their nests. By the way, these fascinating creatures are NOT out to get people! They won't attack you unless they have good reason to do so (like when their nest is disturbed or when an individual wasp is pressed on). They are normally docile away from their nest. I basically know the ways of social wasps (yellowjackets, hornets, paper wasps) since I've been studying & observing them intensely for nearly a quarter century. So, I am an expert in this field. The most docile social wasps are the paper wasps (Polistes), then the aerial nesting yellowjackets (Dolichovespula) such as the bald-faced "hornet" come next, and the most aggressive wasps are the notorious ground nesting yellowjackets (Vespula).

Here are some interesting facts for you. The bald-faced "hornet" (Dolichovespula maculata) is NOT a true hornet at all. It is actually an atypically large, black and white yellowjacket. All true hornets belong to the genus Vespa. There are NO true hornets which are native to North America. However, there is the European hornet (Vespa crabro) which was introduced into the NYC area back in the mid-1800's. This creature has spread to the Mississippi River since then.

10. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

You got that right brother...I have been attacked by them on more than one occasion. A couple of weeks ago a guy near here in Meridian, MS was mowing the school lawn. Yellow jackets hit him and he ran into a large propane tank with his tractor trying to get away from them. The tank overturned and hundreds of people were evacuated from the area. Do you have a ground nest? I dug one up once...they are an engineering marvel.

11. Terry Prouty

Terry Prouty Member

I finally have incredible photos which show some of the MONSTER nests in my personal collection. Please check them out and let me know what you think. Thanks! Here ya go:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Enjoy! :)

12. Terry Prouty

Terry Prouty Member

I have ground nests, aerial nests, nests taken from inside of walls, nests taken from inside of tree trunks, nests taken from sheds, etc... I have ALL KINDS of nests in my impressive collection! Yeah, I totally agree with you. Nests ARE engineering marvels. In fact, I like to call them "masterpieces of nature"!

13. The ground nesting yellow jackets are dangerous. There was a case here in WV where a guy was mowing his property and was attacked and died from the hundreds of stings before he was found. Years ago when I was in elementary school, a buddy of mine was chopping a dead tree that had a nest in it. He spent a week in the hospital from 106 stings.

Checked out your Flickr page......incredible collection.

14. joeym

Terry:

There was a guy from Elba, Alabama that used to come around the farm and collect wasps for antivenom for pharmeceutical companies. He said there were 5 species. He had to sort by sex, discard the males, and of course sort by species. Frozen females were bringing $1000 per pound at that time. He could collect a pound around the buildings on our farm, which took him a day. Of course, we were glad to get rid of that many wasps. Are there still people out there who do this?

15. Terry Prouty

Terry Prouty Member

A mature colony of ground nesting yellowjackets (Vespula) can have up to 5,000 workers. A mature colony of bald-faced "hornets" (Dolichovespula maculata) typically has 100 to 400 workers at its peak. A mature colony of paper wasps (Polistes) can have anywhere from 20 to 200 workers.

Thanks for the comment regarding my nest collection! :)

16. Terry Prouty

Terry Prouty Member

Yes, there ARE various people across this country who still collect live wasp colonies & freeze them for companies (such as Vespa Laboratories) who extract the venom to be used in venom therapy treatments for people who are allergic to stings.

By the way, do you have any HUGE nests on your farm? How large do they typically get on your property? Also, which species occur in your area?

17. joeym

Not many large nest...just typical 1 to 4 inch diameter ones. Well, we call them guinea wasps, red wasps, and them big bright orange ones...that's the extent of my taxonomy in wasps! Or maybe they are all classed as Redneckus hurtslikehellus...LMFAO!!!!

18. Terry Prouty

Terry Prouty Member

Yeah, I am familiar with guinea wasps and red wasps. I have enclosed some incredible pics of both species.

Guinea wasp (Polistes exclamans):
    http://bugguide.net/node/view/11641/bgimage

Red wasp (Polistes annularis):
    http://bugguide.net/node/view/46906/bgimage

I especially like the red wasps! :)

19. animalscheme

animalscheme New Member

WOWWWWWWW
    Your collection is INCREDIBLE.
    I'm jealous. Where did you find all of those? Theyre HUGE!

20. tod

tod New Member

fla
    Yea I was harrowing my property line one time and ran over a yellow jacket nest, needless to say I abandoned my tractor STILL RUNNING and ranis,likis,hellis. You can have my share Tod.