1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Week in Fish Pictures~ Week #50 Sept 14th 2007- Sept 20th 2007

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

The Week in Fish Pictures~ Week #50 Sept 14th 2007- Sept 20th 2007

Good Evening from Long Island New York and the Vanderbilt Museum! A few weeks ago I first showed you some photos and told you about the “Big Fish” of The Vanderbilt Museum. This is truly one of the great Museums in the country and if you ever have the opportunity to visit you'll enjoy and be amazed at what you will see! The Vanderbilt Museum houses the largest piece of taxidermy in North America and most importantly the large fish in the world ever to be mounted. This week I will share with you a few updates into this project.

I hope all is well in the world of fish! I have to say that last week was a wonderful week for this week in pictures!!! So many great works or fish and lots of good people willing to share their gifts! We all benefit from such tremendous inspiration and I thank you for making my world or fish a better more impressive world of art!

Week # 50 is upon us. Thanks to everyone who has participated last week! Well Over few thousand hits!!! Huge!!!!!! This is every week one of the biggest most popular spots on the forum! It is because you share your talent and knowledge with others in a positive friendly manner! Folks need to see that learning is not about any thing then having fun and appreciating great work! Here's to all of you!

Last week we had some Great Fish from a lot of giving folks who don't mind sharing and helping others with some inspiration and cool fish!

We had lots of new folks and some folks who haven't been with us for a while! Welcome and Welcome back! The work this past week was nothing short of breath taking and the artist who shared take a bow for your beautiful efforts!

Each week Pictures can be posted of recent work or work your proud of to show and share with your peers!

Everyone is welcome to post, from beginners to the advanced.

I thought I would start out this week with a few pictures of a largest piece of fish taxidermy on the Planet! Remember your seeing the fish in it current condition and not the finished fish. So enjoy this cool look at history and a historic undertaking to save the most important fish mount ever! The giant Shark has made some progress and the fish is beginning to take shape.
    Curator Stephanie Gress Natural Science Curator has been instrumental in helping all of us on the project with information and assistance from the museum. As a curator to see such a project as this one to fruition under her watch is nothing short of tremendous.

Once again Mr. David Schwendeman third generation Museum Mater taxidermist and his friend and assistant and Master Carpenter Mr. Bob Dermody, Great American Fish Head owner Mr. Robert Kennedy his friend and fellow taxidermist Mr. Jim Hartobey and yours truly all were hard at work this go around in long Island. Mr. George Dante was back in NJ doing some Big Fish research but will rejoin us for next month.

Here are a few more pictures and there will be more to come in the next few months. I hope you enjoy a look at the largest piece of fish taxidermy on the North American and we have found out the world!!!
    Have a great week!!!

Your friend Rick Krane

Here is the Fish crew in front of the doors to the hall of fish building at the Vanderbilt.
    [​IMG]
    Dave assess the over all head lines as marks are being set.
    [​IMG]
    Bob K and I holding up some Big Fish!
    [​IMG]
    Heres Jim H working in a patch spot before skin advancement.
    [​IMG]
    Bob M readies the skin for the grid.
    [​IMG]
    I'm putting the skin back in its place pattern and temp tacking it back in.
    [​IMG]
    Bob M now begins the grid!
    [​IMG]
    The gird is now in place and we will be ready to begin the square by square balance of the great fish.
    [​IMG]
    Last but no least the VIP gals who make it all possible at the Museum! Stephine and the the rest of the staff of the Vanderbilt invites you to visit!
    [​IMG]

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Wow, that looks like a lot of work! I look forward to following along in the process. This week I have a couple custom cast bluegills for a customer. I feel like I kind of missed on the paint jobs, but he was very happy. I'm ready to try again with another one. :)

3. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Cole, I like the subltleness of your painting. They are among the toughest fish for me personally to "nail" as far as painting. So so so many varieties and colors!!! Chief, glad to see more pics of the Whale Shark!! What an amazing fish! I cant wait to see how this turns out. Hopefully if all goes well, I will have a little farm-pond bass done to share. Great job, hope this is the start to a great week.

4. Rick still can't see your pictures that you post, e-mailed Ken but still no reponse.

5. Taxidermy101

Taxidermy101 New Member

Cool Fish Rick. It just doesn't seem like taxidermy? Fish and hotties! I wish! LOL!
    Tax101

6. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

Cole the casts like very nice(paint is good too). When looking at the gills for paint you will notice that the scales are generally darker than the scale pocket. Try painting the entire cast fish a grey brown ( I use taupe) and then seal fish. fter sealing paint fish white and then steelwool. This will leave the scale the taupe color while the pocket will be white. From this point simply tone over the fish to soften the harder contrasting coloration. I could also suggest try some oilsticks like shivas for some light scale rubbing especially in the lower flank. It will add a nice effect to the overall look. great job!!

7. NJTrapper

NJTrapper Member

Hey Rick, You look like the "Fish Doctor" in a few of those pictures. (LOL) Looks like the patient is going to make it!

8. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Rick, You ARE a colorful character. What a huge job that is. Can't wait to see the finished product.
    Here's a repro molded from Capt. Bryan Russell. Hope I did it some justice.

9. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Hey gang!!!

I want to throw in a few more really cool pictures of some some very old taxidermy. All are all skin mounted fish and hand painted for the traditional purist hardcore taxidermist this is a history must! On ward fish heads!

Mr. Cole!!!! Sweeeeeeeet Bluegill! There are many color phases and geographic variations. Use it all from powderes to pencil's to what ever works The reference is in the eye of the beholder so have as much as you can get and enjoy your process of fun while experimenting!!!! Out standing!

My Friend Brian!!!!!! I have seen sooooooooo much advancement in your work!!!!! WOW you have taken the ball and truly made the most of the gifts God has given to you my friend! I'm way happy for you!!! Absolutely beautiful fish!!!!!!

OK I will check in some time this week! I eagerly look forward to the beauty of all your work which keeps me going and inspired!
    Safe week to all and enjoy the gifts you have!
    Your friend

Rick Krane
    Some colorfull fish!
    [​IMG]
    A rare skin mounted Sawbill
    [​IMG]
    Fish under Glass! All are preserved in this case in jars.
    [​IMG]
    Fish of the sea!
    [​IMG]

10. My fish of the week a 44" northern. Nice bluegill Brian

11. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

All very nice stuff again. I too especially love all the bluegills - they are one of the tougher fish to pull off IMO. And, all three look pretty darned good to me.

Sorry - Rick, no one could pay me enough to do what you're doing!!! It reminds me of some of the basket case cars I had in high school and attempted to do body work on. I commend you for your patience with something like that!!! YUCK!!!

No fish this week. But, I ALMOST have my pup potty-trained!!!! (Should I post pics of her last "episode" in my kitchen???) Ahhh, now I know WHY I own a RESPIRATOR - LOL!!!

12. Did anyone else notice one of the "fish of the sea" is a porpoise? LOL

13. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Thanks Cole, Nice Pike there.
    Rick, Hey, very nice comment. You can credit a good part of that improvement to you. Although, I have never booked a class with you, you're assistance at the Michigan show and your videos pointed me in the right direction. To that, I thank you.
    Marty, I'm gunning for you. ;D Trying to match the quality I've seen in your work. Thanks and keep working on the mat in your basement. You're kids ARE getting bigger. You gotta stay in shape or instead of a large fish, they may be holding you up someday. ;D

14. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Oops, I meant thanks CCOOK.

15. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Brian - Don't set your goals SO low - lol! Honestly, your bluegill is nicer than any I've ever done. I think BG's and those "dots" on Stripers are two of the hardest things (for me) to pull off. (Maybe I need to put that #1 tip in and try it??? LOL!)

Yes, boys are growing up quickly. I have high hopes for my oldest this first h.s. wrestling season. I've been on the mat with him and I'll tell you at 90 pounds he's either as strong as an ox or I'm getting pretty WEAK!!! He's only got one year of wrestling under his belt and if he wouldn't have drawn the kid that eventually placed 7th in State at Sectionals, he would have made it downstate last year. He's a diamond in the rough and I'm sure he's going to give the starting 103 pounder a run for his money this year as a FRESHMAN!!!

16. mckayla_1

mckayla_1 New Member

my contribution this week. a blue walleye from the Nipegon rive in Ontario. it's not quite as blue as the picture shows. the flash hit the iridescents at the right angle to light it up.

17. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

Ahhhhhh. I was having withdrawals for a pic of our curator cutie. Thanks Rick. lol. Does she know she is a star. :eek:

18. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

These are for Cecil and Jeff Sonner. The bluegill is a skin mount and the catfish is a Wynia. My paint.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. den007

den007 Active Member

Nothing new....same old bass, walleye, bass, walleye over and over again. I decided to post my chromer from last week with a question. I was asked by several folks what paint I used. I used paint from a Pilot marker, applied with a brush. Agonizing!
    However, it is the brightest chrome I can find.....still grays over somewhat after gloss is put on. I would like some other opinions on the "brightest of the bright" chromes to use. I think I have tried most all, but still looking for the hold grail.

20. bdahyrt

bdahyrt New Member

randyjoe- That little gill is cool man!!! Now I have to go do one! LOL!