1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Week in Fish Pictures~ Week #50 Sept 14th 2007- Sept 20th 2007

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Hey Rick , that is really a neat project you guys are working on . I can`t wait to see the finished product . I`m sure it will be great. Some nice fish on here so far . They look really good. I went fishing for a big Spotted bass today, with guide Ryan Coleman, on Lake Sidney Lanier, but it was kind of slow. Water temps still in the 80`s . We are finally getting some rain here . It has been extremely dry and hot this summer.
    We caught several,( dropshotting ) but the largest were only in the 3 lb range , no magnums today . Still was a fun trip anyway . I hope to have a fish on here soon. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

2. 2 for this week

3. ArtistcAnglerInc.

ArtistcAnglerInc. New Member

this is a repro brownie that I dug out of a dumpster...lol It really was in very poor shape when i got it. Its been around the shop for two years now. I did a little here, a little there, eventualy I had something that resembled a fat brown trout! I had a fun time fixing this one up, I dont get enough coldwater fish for my liking down here in Texas...I love the trout : )

4. ArtistcAnglerInc.

Its been so long since I contributed, I had to take two turns ;D lol. Great stuff as usual fellow fish headz! 2 skin mounts here...Real heads, fins, etc. 1st one is my buddy holding a big Red drum, and 2nd, a nice striper. Check ya later gang 8)

5. ArtistcAnglerInc.

whoops forgot the pics..."duh"

6. Sikk

Sikk Member

Great fish as always, all of them. Love the gills, and the trout. Here's my contribution this week.12 inch whitebass skin mount ice fishing scene. paul

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Customer yellow perch. (Modified half cast.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. den007

den007 Active Member

Where's the nose? lol Ever notice how perch seem to want to conform to what I call a Roman nose position. Sometimes, I hang them by the upper lip on a barbless hook to dry so the nose does not droop. It does have a nice belly!

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

??? ??? ??? ;D Fish don't have noses. They have nares! ;)

10. UFD

UFD New Member

Another Steelhead skin mount about 22 lbs and 39 in. This is the tenth Steelhead over 20 lbs that I have done for this particular client in the past fifteen years (and I still have one in the freezer for him yet). We did some neat curves and habitat layouts on the early projects, but anymore he just wants them kept simple such as this. In fact I believe this is the fourth one following this basic layout with the Brushfire panel, and on this one and the last one he wanted them fairly straight for the side profile but with the head and tail turned slightly in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Wow UFD!

I'd like to see one of your brookies. I'll bet they are a sight to behold too!

12. J. Sonner

J. Sonner New Member

Nice fish everyone. Randy-looks good.
    UFD- any chance you could give us some ideas on how to get that great chrome look you get. Your steelies and salmon absolutely floor me. I love these fish. Wish I had 1/10th of the talent you have. Thanks for the inspiration.

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Yeah I second that! How about some pics step by step! :)

14. UFD

UFD New Member

Thanks, guys! Jeff, your words truly humble me, but please don’t think that I am any more talented than anyone else including yourself - it’s just that I really don’t have a life outside the realm of dead fish. :D Cecil, I have only done one Brook Trout way back in 1988, and it wouldn’t have won any beauty pageants. Hopefully a client will take a chance with me so that I can do another one again someday (or maybe I’ll have to do one for myself).

Coordinating step-by-step pictures of painting a chrome fish (the way I do it) would most likely push me over the edge and I’d probably end up harpooning the fish into a wall and cannon-balling the camera through a window (LOL), BUT, here are some thoughts on my procedure:

In my experience, there is no single color to quickly paint on a fish and make it look chrome. The look that I try to get is arrived at by a layering process of varying shades of silver, and that can be done with several shades of silver from dusky-to-bright or by using the same color of silver but tinting each previous layer so that your uppermost layer is the purest of silver color. I actually end up using a combination of those two approaches so that I can also capture some of the colors that seem to be suspended within the different scale tones. I think one has to look at the silver on the side of the fish and then look closer to see that the coloration is made up of multiple hues and intensities of silver.

So, my approach is to create the illusion of chrome rather than try to find a “magic” chrome color. By layering the colors of silver, I mean that I start by painting the entire scale with a dusky silver (usually by misting a dark color like a blue/gray or dark brown over a bright silver on the side of the fish), then painting a smaller portion of each scale (but still the majority portion of each scale) with a more neutral silver (like silver wax), and then finally painting just the tip or edge of it with the most brilliant silver I have (preferably one with a high iridescent factor such as Liquid Scales).

Anyway, that’s about all there is to it. There’s a bunch of other thoughts I suppose I could pass along, but that would end up making this explanation way too lengthy and most likely just be confusing. However, if you play with the basic scale layering approach, I think you’ll stumble upon some valuable information by yourself and it will be of more personal value and make your work uniquely yours rather than a copy of someone else’s. To me, it is very satisfying to step outside of one’s normal methods to try something different, especially when the light bulb comes on and you realize that you just opened up all kinds of possibilities. And if truth be told, the older I get the more I really don’t feel comfortable trying to sound like an expert on something I’m not sure that I even understand. :-\ I mean, no sense in leading others down the same wrong road that I might be leading myself down, right? LOL

15. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Now UFD it wouldn't be that hard! Just snap a close up digital of a small area on the side fish as you go along. Maybe five or six pics -- tops? I plan on doing it for the modified half cast method soon.

16. FinFlight

FinFlight TRAIL CREEK

great fish like always heres a walleye

17. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Fin n Flight. Good natural coloration and not over painted! Maybe close the mouth a little more and bring the pelvic fins up closer to the body next time? If you compete next spring I'd close the mouth on whatever fish you use though.

Note: I normally don't critique anything if not asked to do so, but Fin 'N' Flight sent me an email regarding walleyes, and although I 'm pretty impressed with this fish I wanted to add a few comments.

Hope you don't mind! I sent you that paint schedule via email although I'm not sure you need it.

18. J. Sonner

J. Sonner New Member

UFD- thanks for the reply. Yo have pretty much verified what I thought . I have the fish that have come into my shop and was hoping there was a "magic" easy way to achieve the depth I see there. Haven't tried the liquid scales yet but hope to soon. I am trying to understand how the different areas transition as you work your way down the side. Some of the colors and pearls seem to reverse their layering and intensity. Trying to re-create what I see is challenging, but pushes me to experiment and try different tech. Thanks again for the reply.

19. den007

den007 Active Member

Cecil ....you are a great taxidermist and human being, but you don't know squat about fish anatomy.

Fish don't have noses? I beg to differ! lol

20. LOL
    dont you have work to do? LOL
    ;D