1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

question on bow hunting

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by GrayFox, Sep 16, 2007.

1. GrayFox

GrayFox New Member

I've been wanting to try bow hunting for some time now, and I recently got a compound bow as a gift. The maximum draw weight is 40 pounds and I've heard thats not enough to take a deer with. But would it work to take small game, like coons and coyotes and such?
    I've never hunted before so I'm really looking forward to it, I just want to make sure that the bow I have will kill an animal cleanly and humanely.

2. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

Yes 40 lbs can be used to harvest a deer. In Mass, the minimun draw weight to hunt deer is 40 lbs. What is it in your state? Shot placement is key. With a good arrow & broadhead combination matched for your bow, you shouldnt have any problem w/ a clean shot in the kill zone. I know that the bow was a gift, but did you get checked out if 40 is the maximum weight you can draw? If you can draw 70 lbs, a 40 lb bow is too light for you IMO. I can draw 80+ lbs, but with the cooler weather, bulkier clothing and sitting motionless ( at least trying to) for a couple or more hours during hunting season, my hunting set up is at 72 lbs. That way I comfortably draw my bow when the time arises. I think you should take your bow set up and go to a proshop and have them work with you. You may have to spend a few bucks but it is a few bucks well spent.

3. ladyarcher726

ladyarcher726 2012: 1st & best of category

agreed. I bowhunt and my husband got my bow for christmas, we sighted it in and I joined a winter league on Jan 2. I learned so much from those people, everything from how to stand to how to hold my arms and hands, how to not gooseneck the bow, etc. A proshop will figure out how much you can pull back and set you up accordingly, set up your peepsight if you want to use one, etc. Good luck, it's fun!
    Oh, sidenote, use broadheads for small game, I shot a squirrel, had perfect shot placement but was using a field tip and it basically sealed around the wound and I couldn't find him... it was very upsetting as it was a black squirrel which I intended to have mounted.
    To give you an idea on that 40 pounds... I'm 5'6, 130 lbs, a girl, and I pull 50 pounds. My husband pulls back 70.

4. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

My Browning Micro Adrenaline is set to 42 pounds currently. I have killed deer with it before so the poundage you are using is fine.

5. GrayFox

GrayFox New Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I found out that here where I am, the minimum draw weight for bow hunting is 35 pounds. I haven't really done much archery so I'm pretty sure that 40 pounds is the maximum I can draw, at least for now. Probably once I start practicing more I'll be able to pull back more than that. I am going to try and practice weekly, because I want to be able to aim really well before I do any real hunting. I'm sort of okay at aiming now, but I'd like to be really good at it so I can place my shots correctly on an animal.

6. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

you need to practice DAILY not weekly

7. booker81

booker81 New Member

MI
    I shoot 55lbs, and have shot deer and turkey with my set up.

Practice is the most important - weekly is "OK", daily is best. Joining a league is awesome, as long as it's a group you feel comfortable with.

You want to make sure that when you pick up your bow for the first "practice" shot - that shot is a "kill" shot. You usually only get one chance when hunting - you always need to make the first one count. No "warm-ups" in the field ;)

Practice at different ranges and elevations if possible.

Like everyone else said - it's not poundage, it's placement that kills.

8. here you can shoot elk at 40 lbs but i would never i would at least 50 on elk

9. richardcox

richardcox New Member

MAY I SUGGEST A CUT ON CONTACT BROADHEAD..MUZZY,WASP OR A STINGER BUZZ CUT. WITH A 40LB BOW YOU NEED TO STAY AWAY FROM THE MECHINICAL BROADHEADS, THERE IS NOT ENOUGH SPEED WHEN THE ARROW HITS THE TARGET TO EXPAND THE BLADES.....GOOD LUCK!

10. 1tigger

1tigger Active Member

Until you get to where you feel comfortable with your bow and skill , shoot with a seasoned archer .
    They will be able to help you with posture , anchor point and release , these three things are very important to be consistant .

11. GrayFox

GrayFox New Member

I would like to practice daily if I could, but I've got a busy schedule with school and such. If I can take time practice more often I will, but as it is now I can't go to the archery range more than once a week. And nobody else in my family hunts or does archery, so I really don't have anyone to help me much. I have one good friend who hunts but lives far away. So its pretty much up to me to teach myself.

12. AndyH

AndyH New Member

GrayFox,
    Even if it's only one arrow, try to shoot as much as possible. And by only shooting once at each session, you are making it more realistic. In hunting, you only get one shot! Try and make the time to practice - that's how you get good.

13. 1tigger

1tigger Active Member

Just don't fall into the trap of shooting from only one position .
    Shoot from several angles , kneeling , sitting in a chair and maybe from a stand or the back of a pickup bed . Not all shots will be taken in the standing straight up position .
    Be sure to use the same anchor point or you will never get a consistant shot group .
    Good luck !

14. wttail

wttail New Member

Only thing I can add to what the others have said is ...If you can make it all come together and tag that first one, you'll be hooked for life. Good Luck ,GrayFox!

15. Ed Chambers

Ed Chambers New Member

All of the above advice is correct. You should shoot a bow with a draw weight that you are comfortable with year round. Try to practice daily even if it is a few arrows. Your form in shooting a bow is very critical. The best advise that I could give you is this: Forget about hunting anything this year. Why? You will need to practice on your form,practice shooting and getting comfortable with your bow. You will need how to estimate yardage unless you buy a laser rangefinder and countless other reasons.There is more to shooting a bow than picking one up and flinging a few arrows. I too was self taught, and it wasn't until two years later that I thought I was good enough. I read books,joined an archery club and leagues. That was 25 yrs. ago. I have since been an avid bowhunter for 23 yrs. and until an injury to my rotor cuff, a professional archer for 15 yrs. We do not owe it to ourselves to be proficient with our choice of weapon,but to all of the game that we intend to hunt with it. Good Shooting Ed.

16. GrayFox

GrayFox New Member

Yeah I probably won't get to do any hunting this year--Here in FL the bowhunting season starts on the 22nd, (which is like in 4 days) thats not nearly enough time for me to get good enough at shooting. So I'll just keep on practicing and hopefully I'll be really good at it by next year.

17. 1tigger

1tigger Active Member

Get yourself into a bowhunter education class they will be able to help with some of the questions you may have and I think all states require it now to hunt , at least most do now .
    Good luck and safe hunting .

18. Ho

Ho Member

What make and model bow is it? I know Ed said he went two years before hunting, but lets face it the equipment 25 years ago would be like chucking a spear compared to today's bows. I say go hunting, just don't take shots beyond 15 yards or so. If you can hit a 5 inch circle 10 out of 10 from 15 yards (which isn't really difficult) you'll be as equipped as you need to be to kill a deer. Where guys get in trouble is taking shots beyond their capability. Also know where your vitals are from different angles and that 40lb bow will do fine if set up correctly. Find an archery shop and they can help.

19. Shot placement is key for sure and a cut on contact broadhead like the magnus stinger. I guided a young kid on a coriscan ram hunt, he was shooting a bow w/ 23" draw and 25# draw weight. He shoot the bow well so i let him do it. He stalked the ram to about 18 yards and put a perfect heart shot on it. he was shooting a 22" carbon arrow w/ a 75 grain 3 blade muzzy and the arrow stopped at the fletchings on the off side he lacked about 3 inches from getting a complete pass through. Ram ran about 20 yards! SHOT PLACEMENT!!! I also took a ram that day w/ my bow set at 70lbs 30" draw and got a pass throughhe went about 30 yards. My ram was the #1 painted desert ram when i killed him, never had him officially scored until recently but he still makes top 10 coming in at number 6. I guided a 5 years old kid last year that took a ram w/ a .17 HMR. he hit it in the shoulder the first shot and that didn't kill him so we stalked up to him again ( he wasn't feeling good) and he got him about an inch behind the shoulder ram ran about 15 yards. When we caped it out the bullet was just under the skin on the off side. SHOT PLACEMENT

20. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

I agree with Ho. If you can consistently group at 15-20yds. Go for it. Limit your shots to your comfort range. And hey, If you dont feel comfortable taking the shot if one arises, dont shoot. I have learned more about deer and deer behavior by letting them walk around during archery season.