1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I think I am addicted to SALT!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Michelle_Nelson, Sep 17, 2007.

1. 1stManna

1stManna Guest

:D ;D that should read BITE me. But hey, we got the point! It was funny too!! LOL ::) ::) ;D

2. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Did George "BIT" him ??? LMAO

3. wilson

wilson New Member

thanks KIM .
    and michael p. you know you can't tell George anything and him believe it or do it .,

If i don't shut up, i'll be off the xmass list.

I'm just one of those guys that like white socks.

4. Matt

Matt Active Member

Why would you wash a cape before salting? To me, that would be just asking for problems. I have never seen a bloodstain come back on any of my capes. The only time I would even consider that idea is on antelope, and it would have to be a bloody mess! Only then would I carefully wash it out on the hair side with as little water as possible.

5. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I just cautioned folks about washing, as 1stManna had mentioned it, and I know that reading comp is not a strong point here in taxinet. But, again, hes putting them in process right away. Before people get too worried to that end, it rains on these animals every time it rains, too, and wet is wet. I just say to be careful when its water and soap, and whatever else, that we dont get em too wet before setting them up to dry...

6. I am by far not cheap on the salt....lol..........I put 2- 50lb bags on a moose cape thats 100 lbs........and 1 bag on a caribou cape, thats 50lbs, I only salt once and then they hang to dry in front of a fan and after a couple days i fold them up to go to the tannery....

7. 1stManna

1stManna Guest

:) The washing of SOME capes is almost a requirement. IF a cape, hide or skin is good to start with, then there should be no problems. But, you have to KNOW what you are doing. And even then, bad things happen.

Some animals we get in are questionable. Blood soaked, dried blood, guts, fecal matter and on and on. Yes! On some we must wash just to be able to do our job. Not to mention the borderline rotten, stinky stuff!!

;D For the most part, take a cape and split, turn and flesh everything. Stretch it width wise and place on a sloped surface in a cool shady spot. Then salt it and rub the salt in. Use hay and stock salt. NEVER rock salt.

From here you can resalt after over night, - ten hours or so and then fashion a hanger system if you desire and hang the cape up so air will circulate and dry both sides.

You can even spray a little common household Lysol on the skin and hair side to alleviate any fears you might have of mold, fungus and bacteria. But our wash with a little bleach kills everything. 8) WE NEVER had any problem with something we let air dry rock hard and later processed it using our methods.

Buy your salt and store it in buckets or just keep it in the bags until needed! See pic below!

8. I just roll my skins in salt , rub it into the skin. Then lay on a wire rack at a angle. I dont salt it again. After 24 hrs my skin is hard as a rock.and ready to be tanned. I keep my salt in a plastic bin. I use this over and over until the salt starts to clump up, ( with good ole Louisiana moisture) 20 lbs of salt last a while with me.