1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

fish newby has question

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Bobbi Meyer, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

I've got two crappie in the freezer now that I'm going to mount, but I have a couple questions. One of them is frozen in a block of ice..thats the way it came to me. Problem is, how in the heck am I supposed to measure the thing? I have liqua cure on hand for the tanning, plus stop rot and all the other goodies. So my question is, can I thaw it out measure it, then put it back in the freezer, or would I be better off to thaw it completely then "tan" it. And if i can do the later, can a liqua cured fish be refrozen for mounting at a later date....sorry for all the questions, I'm new at this fish thing. ??? :)

2. jkidd

jkidd New Member

I'm not sure about the liqua cure and refreezing as I have never used liqua cure. Maybe someone else can chime in on that, but this is what I would do in the same situation. I would thaw, measure(I use half cast so I would mold instead of measure at this point), skin, and put the skin in my denatured alcohol solution for mounting later. I have thawed and refrozen largemouth without skinning before for experimentation with no ill effects, but I have not tried that with a crappie. I would be a little apprehensive about it due to the fragile nature of the scales on these fish. ???

3. NOAH@aarrkk

NOAH@aarrkk Well-Known Member

GA
    Based on my experience, I'd thaw it to a point where it can be put into the position/pose you want it to be and then make a plaster mold for the half cast method. Skin the fish and preserve in denatured alcohol/water overnight and mount the next day after soaking in borax/water for 30-45 minutes.

jerry

4. I would thaw it and measure it ,if you are using a commercial body,and then coat it with a good layer of granular borax . The borax helps to tighten the scales . If carving a body, draw a template. Then skin it out on a bed of borax and I would preserve it with zinc sulphate from WASCO . After tanning with that, you can rinse the skin and refreeze it . It should then be fine until you are ready to mount it .

5. den007

den007 Active Member

Freeze dry. Of course you can thaw and re-freeze!

6. 1tigger

1tigger Active Member

thaw , measure , skin , soak in borax/water solution , freeze and order the same day and you will be fine !

7. Hey guys you got to remember this is a new fish person, I think casting and molding might be out of the question.Thaw in cool water,measure, skin, and clean well and then if you want you can place back into freezer until your supplies come in and then go from there.

8. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Thaw, measure and re-freeze or skin and re-freeze or put in degreasing solution. You can re-freeze fish many times with no ill effects...

9. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

Well, I half cast the first crappie that I did ( picture of it done is on my website, and I've posted it here) So the casting isn't a problem, just wasn't sure about the thawing and freezing part. I was really wanting to try a form this time, but then I know how fragile crappie are, so maybe I'll just stick with the half casting method ! Thanks for the advice.

10. 1tigger

1tigger Active Member

Checked out your Crappie , If that is your first fish you did an outstanding job !
    Very nice work .