1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

alligator tanning

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by gregg frost, Sep 4, 2006.

1. gregg frost

gregg frost Guest

hey guys got my first alligator of the season 11ft 11in very fat.dont want to sell the skin would like to keep it.was told i need to tan the skin they want over a 1000.00 and i will not pay that much.im just a good ol boy from florida before we just salted any skin we kept and left it to dry for about a month.would like some tips on how to tan this hide.i would prefer a natural finish but if i cant have that i understand.thanks for the advise and i have permits for 3 more alligators.

2. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Are you talking about $1000 for tanning? Most tanneries will charge around $25.00 per foot. Click on the suppliers link-top right, then go to wholesale tanners. You should find someone there for around $300.00 plus shipping. Maybe a little more, but under $500.00 for sure. Tanning a gator at home, that big, will be a lot to bite off!

3. gregg frost

gregg frost Guest

yeah i can see your point but i have been skinning animals for 25 years and we allways just salted and dryed is this not good enough because i dont want it to change colors want it natural.and yes the 3 places down here in florida wanted 1000.00 for tanning will check out links for here but can i cure the hide naturally how did they do it 150 years ago?

4. gregg frost

gregg frost Guest

hey guys thanks found a post from before in archives gives step by step not that hard of a process

5. RP

RP Guest

gregg

I do my gator hides myself using Rittels supplies, in my garage. Works great for a tanned natural appearance wall mount type hide. It's the process for making the hide usable for clothing, purses, shoes and such that is much more involved.

6. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Dont forget to clean out that head good, or its gonna stink in a month!