1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Are fruit flies a problem in the taxidermy studio?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Marc, Sep 20, 2007.

1. I recently stored a bushel of apples (for bow hunting..deer bait) in my studio. I see fruit flies havin a party in there now. Is this going to be of any concern? Thanks for any info!

2. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    The only concern I might have would be with painting fish, to make sure that none are trapped, especially in the glossing process.

jerry

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

It's not the apples. When they show up it means the taxidermist is fruity. ;D

4. LOL! I wouldn't be in this business is I wasn't fruity Cecil!! LOL Thanks Jerry. I'll make sure they don't go out the door stuck on my mounts. LOL!

5. den007

den007 Active Member

Damn things hang around my wine glass while I am painting......Well, a little extra protein in the diet will not hurt.

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Wine glass! :eek: No wonder you don't put those bellies on those fish! ;D

7. Hey, at least Dennis is enjoying the ride! LOL!

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Ya know it would make for a happy day. ;D

9. newbirdman

newbirdman New Member

Marc , in case your interested . I have Fruit fly traps fpr sale on e bay .

Click here: 3 FRUIT FLY TRAPS - (eBay item 180161988676 end time Sep-28-07 10:14:18 PDT)

I also have these traps to catch the moths that eat your mounts .

Rick

Click here: 2 PHEROMONE MOTH TRAPS - protect your trophies - (eBay item 180161993103 end time Sep-28-07 10:29:27 PDT)

10. den007

den007 Active Member

Happy day is right! I mash my own elderberries I scrounge out of the woods to make wine. I am a scrounger by nature.....mushrooms (that explains plenty) wild game, varmints, walleye fillets off customer mounts.......I eat 'em all. Just had some salmon from Lake Michigan smoked, but the DNR says I should not eat very much or it will screw up my nervous system. I feel great.

So who listens to the rules anyways??? They don't want me to bait deer either. How the heck can a guy like me get a decent shot........that is, 10 yards????

11. I bet those are pretty small springs on those fuit fly traps, huh? LOL! Thanks NBM, I'll check them ouit. Dennis, get a Mathews...you can shoot through a key hole at fifity paces!! Just don't hit the wine or the mushrooms first and you'll be OK!

12. lizardrib

lizardrib New Member

WI
    just put out a half glass of apple cider vinegar and some dish soap. for some reason they fall in.

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Marc,

Are you eating any fruit in your shop? I find they come with the fruit. It seems pears are especially bad.