1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The dog chewed the nose off! How would you fix it?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by eddieb, Sep 20, 2007.

1. A customer of mine called to inform me that his dog (drug dog) chewed the nose on his new mount.
    When I asked for a general description of the damage I was given the impression that only the
    nose pad and lower lip was damaged. He wanted to save the mount if at all possible because
    it had such a pretty cape. So I told him to ship the head back to me. I thought I would rebuild the
    nose and the lower lip with Apoxie Sculpt paint it then ship it back to him. Ha! was I in for a big
    surprise!

The first photo shows what the mount looked like before it was shipped to New Mexico..
    [​IMG]
    The second set of photos show what it looked like when it was returned to me.. [​IMG]
    So.. how would you fix it?

2. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

Cut the dogs nose off and sew it on there.

3. well it was a nice looking mount

4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Wow, what a shame. I'm not sure what to tell you, that's a lot of damage. Rich is right, that was a beautiful deer.

5. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Call me loco but I would try to salvage it. Get another muzzle and rehydrate and sew.I would keep all repairs in black hair areas. I really think you can save it. I sure would charge for it too!!!!!! Offer to do the dog in a rug for him. ;D

6. 11th hour

11th hour Member

Good looking mount (1st photo). I would encourage him to spring for a new cape. If not, good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Its repairable, if you want to fool with it. I recently had to do the same thing to a grey fox that had been chewed on by a house dog. I used an artificial nose. BTW, I did not mount it originally. I was not impressed with the original taxidermists efforts.

8. Tim

Tim Olean,NY

ny
    nice job joeym!

9. First thing.....let's not throw the dog under the bus too fast. If the deer was hanging on the wall where it should have been the dog couldn't have gotten to it. Hope the guy learned a lesson here ....he had a beautiful mount and he let it get damaged.

Secondly....it is repairable Eddie. It will take some work and may not be possible to match perfectly. Let him know this up front. Take the nose and lower lip area from a spare cape ( damaged elsewhere cape preferably) tan the parts, graft in a new nose/lip and apply the new skin.
    If you can use a repro nose this will make it easier. I would epoxy glue it as opposed to trying to sew it together. I have repaired simular damages with very good results.

That was a great job you did on the deer it is a shame the guy let it get wrecked like that. Good luck with it and charge accordingly.

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

There must have been some residue of deer cocaine on that deers nose for the drug dog to chew it like that.

11. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( then :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

12. 1stManna

1stManna Guest

You can do it. It will be time consuming, around $300. worth or more....... I wish you the best!

13. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I'm still wondering what made the dog hit on it ??? ??? ??? I hope you didn't get any DP mixed up with something else ::) :D LOL

I beleive Epply sells a fully detailed replacement nose, &b then graft, epoxy & airbrush. As good as the mount looked in the beginning I'll bet you surprise yourself with the repair job you do! Please post pics when it's done!

14. Start over with a new cape and form, fixing it is not worth the trouble unless you have nothing else to do...........

15. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I do not know how this would apply to a mounted animal, but the first thing a dog is going to bite on a large animal, such as a cow, is their nose. Cow dogs live to hear the command, "Take Hold"...some cow is going to have a very sore nose unless it turns away at the speed of light! Several animals have been brought to me with the nose chewed off. Now as for deer heads hanging in a lodge that is uninhabited, mice love to eat the nose pad. There is obviously a little jerky in there somewhere that they go after.

16. Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. The episode I described took place about 4 years ago.
    I had repaired the mount and sent it back and the customer was pleased. I hope no one is upset with
    me for asking how you would fix it. I wanted to get your opinions and comments before I revealed that
    the job had been completed. Well anyway, here is what I did...
    I had another customer that wanted the racks from 5 of his W.T. mounts removed so that he could
    make a chandelier from them. I used one of these mounts as a "donor" mount for my repair. I was
    fortunate that the heads were the same size. The following photos explain the repair...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This deer would qualify for "frequent flyer" miles.
    It was killed in Georgia. The head was frozen and mailed to Mississippi. The Mount was finished and
    shipped to New Mexico, shipped back to Mississippi for repair. It was repaired and shipped back to
    New Mexico.
    I also need to defend my customer. When he first received his mount he put it in his office at
    home. While he was at work as a Border Patrol Agent some relatives were visiting his family and
    someone accidently let the dog into the office.
    I took on this job even after seeing the damage because of how much my customer had already
    invested with time and money on this mount...and because I did have a "donor" mount available..
    and because I appreciate the job the B.P. is doing in spite of the odds against them..and
    finally because I always did like a challenge! Thanks again for everyone's response.
    (Some of which were very entertaining!!)

17. Man you did a good job. WOW. Thanks for posting pics

18. Roger E

Roger E Member

MT
    Great job...

19. crankin

crankin New Member

WI
    Nice Job!

20. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Nice Job! How did you repair the seam at the hair line?

I have a bear with the hair off (lost during dragging) that I needed to replace the hair on. I've patched it but am having a difficult time covering the hair line where the two meet.