1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Stainless and Acid

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by wttail, Sep 21, 2007.

1. wttail

wttail New Member

Guy gave me a food grade stainless steel tub ....I guess about 30 gal.

Thought about trying it as a pickle vat... would that be a no-no.

Forgive me if I missed it in the archive.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

There are autotanners made out of Stainless Steal, so I would say it would not hurt at all.

3. 1tigger

1tigger Active Member

Years ago I worked at a cheese plant and everything was stainless ,thats what we used to remove the butter fat along with caustic soda .
    As long as it is diluted < like in a pickle > it wont hurt anything , straight acid will blacken and sometime leave little rust spots where it was splashed on the stainless .

4. Stainless is better than carbon steel.

Stainless contains high amounts of nickle and other NON CORROSIVE alloys. Yep I sure would use it!!!

I know a young fellow starting a tanning business that is using old bulk milk tanks they are stainless.

5. paul e

paul e New Member

some stainless will degrade over time
    t316 is the best grade
    t304 will hold up for most stuff
    all the food grade stuff ive made over the years is all t316
    food can be pretty harsh on metal
    if not sure and have a choice to make t316 is best

6. It is perfectly fine and will clean the metal. When stainless gets corroded you pickle it to clean the corrosion off.

7. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Acids will dissolve it. Buy a plastic barrel and save the stainless for some other purpose.

8. Not the kind of acid we use.

9. cyclone

Hydrogen ions are the same regardless of the acid used...it will dissolve it with time..

When you buy acid...what is the container made of?

Your solution will get a nice light greenish hue to it due to the dissolved nickel and chrome...but, you will get a nicely tanned hide due to the nickel and chrome that you're putting into solution...and down the drain... ;)

Plastic is cheap...

10. wttail

wttail New Member

Thanks guys....I got some spares to experiment with...see what happens. It should be the good stuff as it came out of a state run cafeteria. Not thrilled with the thought of pouring heavy metals out behind the barn either. If it dont work out may use it in a still and drink em instead! LOL
    Hav-a-gud'n

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LMAO Darrell. "What kind of acid"??? I warned you about soaping your mouth. Acid is acid as far as stainless is concerned. Why do you think the pickle "cleans" it? It's eating away the surface. That's not cleaning, that's actually corroding it OR ERODING it. We used to use porcelain lined bathtubs years back just because of that. Plastic is a more sensible alternative.

12. Well old man until you have been where I have been close your pie hole. There are detailed cleaning procedures for stainless pipe and they all include mild acidic solutions. We have even used citric acid. Plastic is the best choice but in his lifetime the acid would not eat his container up.

13. Sikk

Sikk Member

I worked in the water industry for 17 years, we used oxalic acid to clean resin used for various water treatments, We replaced our restaraunt grade stainless sink about every 3 years, the stainless plate would last longer but the seams (welds) degrade and leak. A pickle at 2 pH would not be a mild acidic solution, I would recommend plastic. For a cheap pickle container a 30 gallon garbage can or for a little more money you can get a chemical spill tub, you can rig with a drain if you wish. paul

14. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Darrell, do you eat with that mouth? You don't have a clue where I've been. I've been there so long that people think I'm coming back when it comes to stainless steel and acid. As Sikk said, you ain't seen enough yet. I have an 8 foot stainless hospital sink that was replaced simply because it was acid etched to the point Sikk was describing. Stainless steel is STILL steel and it is adversely effected by both strong bases and acids. Look at kitchen sink traps that Drano was used routinely and I'll show you a drain pipe that's paper thin.

15. paul e

paul e New Member

i dont claim to be an expert on anything
    but the job thats buys my wife the suvs she likes is metal fabrication
    all stainless is not he same
    from my experience
    and almost all will go to hell with acids save 1
    it aint cheep or cost effective
    weve got vats filled with acid to clean various types of metal
    got one thats been filled for over 12 years
    will etch aluminum instantly
    we make all kinds of crap for the chemical industry down here
    if you make anything that is not 316 it will do a magic act and dissapear
    now to be honest ive never put low pH acid in a tank and kept records
    but weve repaired damage from other things and 316 from my experience will hold up
    evry other kind will do a magic act
    we make centralizers and have made a mistake once or twice and you can tell in a few months if we used the wrong type it will simply corrode to nothing
    could i be wrong when using a low pH acid even with 316 hell yes
    Uncle George has forgot more about just about everything in life than i know
    ill have make a small pan and keep some low pH acid in it and see how long it last
    lol
    never to young to learn something knew

16. cyclone

Don't forget the salt Paul. Just put some of your pickle solution in it...

17. paul e

paul e New Member

salts do nothing to 316
    seen plenty of results on that myself from my own uses
    but you know ive got access to this stuff
    now that i think of it its not cost effective to use it for the average person
    we dont do anything but commercial stuff
    the oil companies can afford it
    and the seafood industry also(i.e. the experiance with salt)
    but for the average guy
    you can go to 3 wallywordls and buy out the entire inventory of plastic tubs and still come out cheaper
    than what you would making a tank that would hold up to
    just ripped texaco a new one last week on a tank
    ah!! feels good to make um pay a little
    lmao
    so on planet earth go get a plastic tub
    or if youve got a pound of pixie dust
    personnaly i dont know how people can make it without a metal shop(hee! hee! hee!)

18. cyclone

Maybe so, but the combination of salt and acid...ever hear of electrochemistry?

Uh, right....they just pass that cost on to the consumers...so you might as well have just done it for free...

19. Yeah I eat with this mouth I just carry my weight better than you. I will concede that maybe some stainless will be effected by some acids. But why do we have caustic and acidic solutions running through refineries all over the world in stainless pipe? You haven't been there daddy George. Right now on the job I am on we running 2,200' of 8" stainless pipe. Guess what its going to carry? Low grade acid to break down H2S coming from Carbide. Guess we dont know what were doing. :-\

20. Okay guys I went to one of the metalergist here and asked the question. The stainless materials I am used to using are as he called them super alloys. They contain over 15% alloy. Thats why they can do the things they do. It can still be 321, 316, inconel and/or monel but their alloy content is higher. When regular stainless begins to pit salt and even mild acidic solutions will boost the corrosion in the metal because "the pits" themselves become acidic and release sulphur ions. There fore use plastic as the rest have said. Unless you can get your hands on some stainless used in refining. lol. Are you happy George?