1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question about Krotan2000

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by trudy, Oct 22, 2006.

1. trudy

trudy New Member

Have any of you that use it notice the deer hides shrink? I get my measurements before putting them in the tan then order the forms. But when it comes down to mounting it they don't seem to fit, they have lost a couple inches. Am I doing something wrong? TIA, trudy

2. saugman1

saugman1 New Member

I do notice a little shrinkage, about half an inch or so if I do not pull it out of the tan and give it a good stretch. I do this every day that it is in the tan. Also the couple of capes that had shrunk alittle stretched back out after putting them on a cape stretcher for about 20 minutes. Hope that helps a little

3. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I haven't had any problems with the hides not returning to their original size. Are you nuetralizing? Measuring properly? Ordering right size form?
    I use the meat measurement for my forms wether I send them to the tannery or Krowtann them. But just out of curiousity, I've measured the unskinned neck, meat, and also the flat cape after skinning then compared these measurements to the tanned cape. Always end up just about the same.

4. jhawk

jhawk My second job.

Would oiling after final fleshing make a difference?

5. Krowtann Whitetail Formula is supposed to give your deer capes more stretch.

6. Deerman

Deerman Member

SC
    I use to have that problem and I called Brian and asked him about the baking soda and sodium bicarbonate, I wanted to know they were exactly the same thing,he said no that if you are using baking soda you need to use 2 oz's then in 5 minutes add 2 more oz's then in 5 minutes add 2 more oz's, during the neutralizing process which will be 6 oz's in stead of 3 with the straight sodium bicarbonate. I also started using the Whitetail Formula And I add 1 oz of Krow Oil in the mix and I have no more problems with stretch

7. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

about 1 out of ten shrinks - when that happens i go back and reflesh and then oil - no problems that way - i always order the form EXACTLY the same size as carcass cause i know i can get it back to the same size with kt

8. trudy

trudy New Member

Thanks yawl, I talked to Brian and seems I need to reflesh better once it comes out of the tan. I didn't realize there was a tan just for WT either, will get some. Thanks for all the suggestions, Plan on getting some of the oil also. trudy

9. Big Jeff

Big Jeff New Member

I love Krowtann. Been using it for several years now, and have done deer, rams, predators, elk and black bear with it. Never once had a problem with the product. I use the Whitetail Formula on my deer, and I always have a lot of stretch.

10. The key here people is a good strecth of the cape/hides AS IT IS DRYING....My first krowtann deer hide is white and snow but stiff as a board due to me not stretching it...but again, that was my fault...and despite my own error i stick by Brian's great product faithfully...I love the simpleness of it...eliminating the worries of skin cape loss due to too high ph in pickling etc...saves me alot of time and worry.
    I have a 1/2 deer hide i just finsihed today and it is drying now (yes i stretched the hell out of it) I will post it online tommorow when i can get some good daylight for my cell phone camera...

11. here are a few pictures of a hide i just finished with krowtann 2000...it is a 1/2 muley hide and the entire neck piece as one solid furpiece. These should show the awesomeness of the product...please note the tail is tanned as well..no slippage whatsoever.

12. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

That muley sure looks like it has a BIG ole white tail....
    Does it have a black tip?

13. It has a bit of a black tip at the very end...might not have come out so well in the photos...i had a hard time trying to take these with my cellphone and get the right lighting.

14. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Awwwww Okay :)

15. ar delta

ar delta New Member

you can flesh the hide real thin and soak it in water and fabric softner. the fabric softner will allow a little more stretch. I leave it in there for about an hour.

16. Delta...you ever try that with an already dried stiiff hide?

17. Elkhunter,
    why didn't you just wet it back and reoil, then break. Would be easier than stretching it like heck.

18. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

EH, thats LOW ph, during pickeling. Nobody will ever loose a cape due to pickeling, if the ph is low enough, and the salt content is correct. Capes are lost mostly by poor prep work(fleshing, and timely salting), or by a hunter taking to long to get his trophy to the Taxidermist, after harvesting. Lets us see the skin side of your hide. You will never know what your missing, nor will your customers, until you send a skin to good tannery. Whats your getting now, is only a fraction of what you could be getting, without all the effort.

19. I just had to ask as I have washed all mine with 1/2 cap of Liquid Tide and set out to dry and stretched while dryting...some parts have come out stiff...Haven't oiled yet as it is on order...but ratherthan resoak in salt and all wondering if just poiling and breaking might work...? Hoping that resoaking in salty water doesn't loosen the pores for hair to fall out.

20. Several things wrong there Elkhunter. Tide is a big no no. OS will attest to that one. Next, the oiling is important. Don't skip that one. Last, salt water will not loosen the hair. It is the recommended method of rewetting. Use a 1/4 cup of salt to the gallon. Leave in for 1 1/2 hours and then drain until the hide is dry to the touch. That makes it "thirsty" for the oil. Oil it and fold overnight. Next day hang it out to dry. If it is shaved thin, it will break easy then.