1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Yes, another stop rot question

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Manderscheidt, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Thank you ziffle, for the nightmares I'm sure to have tonight.

2. I don't know about OleRoy, but I fed my Lousiana Catahoula Leopard Dog a habanero and got the same results. Has anyone put Stop Rot on the Scoville test yet? That poop had to be at least 300,000 units.

3. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

I'm going to have to dedicate the first two photos to Booker, she's into this kind of stuff.

The first one is the original dog wound photo, and the second one is what the healed wound looks like at the present. The original injury pattern is quite evident. The triangular shape in the second photo was what was hanging as a dry, dead skin flap originally.

He is now the only dog to be registered with taxidermy.net. He also operates Franzie's Tie Won Dawg Martial and Literary Arts Academy.

Listen, children, to a story that was written long ago.........
    Franzie is the one that taught yer Uncle George how to Billy Jack kick someone up side the head (some of you boomers might have to explain that one to the younger crowd). Yer Uncle George and I have not engaged in our annual pre-rut bantering this year, at least yet...........

4. booker81

booker81 New Member

MI
    So, Uncle Glen, you think it will work for stretch marks? :D (None.....yet!)

5. ziffle

ziffle New Member

[​IMG]

6. Glen Conley

Mark this day down on your calendar, ziffle, as it is probably the first time in your life that you have ever been right. It's no bull scat.

7. Glen Conley

It wasn't my intent to leave everyone dangling in suspense on this thread, but some times, I just can't get everything done that I need, or want to do.

I'm bringing the 25 1/2 hours bovine collagen in STOP-ROT photo back up so that it will be easier to compare to the collagen at the three day mark.

This is where what is seen in the photograph is entirely different than what you would be able to see with the eye. The collagen structures actually look like glass filaments, and the dimension can be seen just by running the focus up and down on the microscope. When I photograph, I am stuck with what ever I can get as a single dimension, or a flat work so to speak. Plus, I just can't escape that under exposed magenta look to the photographs.

What you see in the three day photo is where the fibers have started gathering and stacking up in layers.

All the dark areas are where the thickness of the mass is not allowing light penetration. You can make out the filamentous fibers on top of the mass. Layer after layer of filaments below those fibers is what is actually being shown here.

That is what is going on in "simplest", most obvious form.

8. Glen Conley

For years I carried in my billfold a copy of a quote credited to Luis Alvarez. It was, "When you are doing true research, you never know how long it will take, how much it will cost, or what you will find out". That statement always had a way of keeping me humble, and reminding me that the human thought processes that generate opinions can be about as worthless as teats on a boar. A person can sit on their can and make up opinions all day long, but when the walk is actually walked, things can take on a whole new perspective with new information.

The first photo is of the original set up of the medical grade bovine collagen in the STOP-ROT solution.

The second photo is the same collagen in solution, but at the SIX day mark.

Based on the information given to me when I was initially given the collagen, and on my own past experiences, the end results shown in the second photo WAS NOT what I was expecting to see.

Looking at the first photo labeled bovine collagen, you can just about make out where the granulations for the greater part had sunk to the bottom of the solution. You can also see that "some" of the granulations floated.

What I was expecting to see did take place for the first three days. I was expecting the fibers in the bottom of the container to continue to "join up" and "mat" together, forming a thin film, or sheet, of collagen fibers that would be not that far removed from what it would be like in living skin.

Initially the collagen fibers would have been heavier than the solution, the container was left open to air, evaporation alone would change the density of the solution, plus there would have been reactions going on that would produce water and carbon dioxide as evaporative by products.

What wound up happening was that the fibers suspended in the solution with a pretty darn even dispersal.

9. Glen Conley

Here's the container with the bovine collagen/STOP-ROT combination not quite to the two month mark yet.

I am out of distilled water, so I will not be going any further with this one today. I'm anxious to see what took place in the suspension during this time frame. The container was left open to the air for the entire period.

You're getting this blow by blow, regardless of the outcome.

10. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Is there a separate category for Glen Conley? Pretty much everything you write, I want to read it...I may not understand it...but I want to read it at least. ;)

My Dad has a dog (golden retriever) that has had sores on his front paws since the day he was rescued. It's been 18 months and THOUSANDS of dollars in doctor bills...and he still has the sores. Sometimes they heal a little, but they're still there, always. Vet has tried everything they can think of. Medications, elizabethian collars, bandages, injections to name a few. Glen, I'm going to show my Dad the pics of your sheep dog...after I showed him the bottle of Stop Rot, he said he'd have to think on it. I think your pictures will convince him. I'll post pictures.

Thank you very much. Lisa

11. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Use it. It wont hurt the dog, it can only help.

12. Lisa M

I have shaver...I showed my Dad the pictures...he said "Yeah, we'll give that a whirl." ;D He didn't know that I put it on the dog once already. ;) The current sore is about as big as a fifty cent piece. Only 1/5 of that was openly weeping yesterday. It had dried up by today...went ahead & put a second application on so Dad could watch how truly simple it was. Picture taken. Will post improvements. Thank you again Glen. I love this stuff.

13. Lisa M

This is the best his paw has ever looked. It will heal, then fester up again. Heal, fester. I've noticed since I put the Stop Rot on 2 days ago, he's stopped licking it. I don't know if that's cause it doesn't itch any more, or if the Stop Rot tastes bad. I'll post more as time goes by. ;) Let it snow let it snow let it SNOW!

14. Glen Conley

Lisa, are these spots abcessing? Are they coming up in the same place each time, or are they moving around? Was there ever any blood sent out for a blood clinician to take a look at?

15. Lisa M

Hi Glen, they leak a clear fluid about 1/3 of the time. Yes blood was sent out...no unusual results found. They are generally in the same spots, although they do migrate up or down, or over a few centimeters. They think he is allergic to grains. He takes Evo dog food...exclusively...unless he sneaks. He takes Prednisone...and they still flare up badly from time to time, but they never really heal fully. My mother adopted him from a rescue organization in June of 2006. She died August 31, 2006 and that's when my Dad adopted him. He had the sores when we first met him, but they were much much worse. They were as big as a dollar bill folded in half lengthwise...and all of it was weeping back then. So he's better now, but they just won't go away. Until he was rescued he lived in a 5x5 pen outside with very little positive human interaction. When my husband took his hat off, the dog used to cower. He is a love sponge. Sweet as he can be now. Doesn't bark and won't jump though. He's my brother...from a VERY different Mother. ;D

Have you seen this kind of thing before? Anyone?

16. Glen Conley

Lisa, how about posting a couple more photos?

One of a complete bowel movement. A little larger than your foreleg photo, and at least the same clarity.

Two, if you can zoom in, or use a macro setting, an extreme close-up of the stool where it shows textures on the surface.

Another question. What color is the skin pigment in the healthy areas of skin near the sore?

17. Lisa M

We came home...I'll ask my Dad to take pictures. He'll think I've lost what's left of my mind...but he'll do it...if he can find a bowel movement in the 12 inches of snow Montrose got in the last 24 hours. ;D...I like you Glen...you get all up & involved in a situation. ;) My Dad loves this dog...and Roger loves him. Ornery kids. Dad cares so much about Roger that I bet he'd even collect a sample and send it to ya Glen. Special Merry Christmas package...lol

The skin near the sores is thicker because it's had the sores in the past and has scarred. The color is darker than the rest of his skin. I'll send my Dad a link to this thread & he can contact you directly if you'd prefer. He's a hydro-electric engineer and this problem is making him nuts because it's an irritation for Roger. Dad's all about solving problems...and until now, nothing has helped with this.

I left some of my Stop-Rot for them. I told him to swab it twice a week because that's what it looked like you were doing for the dog that got kicked. He hasn't licked it (that I saw or heard) since I put the first dose of SR on it. So that's good.

Thank you Glen. I hope your Christmas has been wonderful. All my best~Lisa

18. Glen Conley

Lisa, how long has the dog been on Prednisone?

You had asked the question if anyone had ever seen this condition. Your description, and photo, exactly match a description that a late DVM friend of mine had gave me awhile back.

The subject was brought up in discussion when we were talking about the clinical symptoms of the first fawn you see at this address:

www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,47292.15.html

She had said at that time that the condition like you described (in canines) was the closest thing that she knew of that was similar to the fawn's condition. When I asked her what caused the condition in canines, she replied that it was associated with a mineral deficiency. When I asked her WHAT caused the mineral deficency, she just shrugged and said she didn't know. As far as frequency of seeing such cases, I had asked that, to which she simply replied "periodically". She had also described the blackening of the keratinized tissue as a result of the licking.

On the same page as the fawn photos, there are photos of a mare's leg. The mare had been out on a creek bottom pasture and had hung the leg up on something, ripping the skin. The injury wasn't found until after it had became dirt filled and swollen. I wasn't asked to see if I could do anything with it until over a year later. At that point the leg was seriously stocked up, and the mare had been lame for some time.

I treated that injury daily for three weeks.

STOP-ROT was applied generously. A "drawing" effect was quite evident. It usually took about fifteen to twenty minutes to see a "pinking" of the skin from blood flow coming into the area. Like the dog's condition, this was an area of poor circulation in normal conditions, but with high flexion. Once the skin showed pink, it was then hosed off with COLD water. This would shrink the capillaries back down, pumping the affected area out so to speak. The mare wound up going sound, and in fact was being trail ridden shortly afterwards.

The only common factors I see with the dog and mare are the production of keratinized tissue. This could also be thought of as an obvious indicator that circulation is impaired to this area. With impaired circulation, nutrient is shut off to outermost cells, causing the build up of layers of dead cells like you see in the photo after the mare's leg photos.

From the standpoint of food "allergies", I can add to that also, using the fawns pictured as examples. To do that though, I am going to have to be awake enough to think and type at the same time.

I'll be back.

19. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

If it stays on predinose for too long it could become diabetic.

20. Lisa M

Since July of 2006. Glen, I saw how much SR helped the mare & fawns. That's why I thought of it for Roger. Vet's sometimes (like doctors) have me ???'ing. They know just enough to make me wonder why they don't know more...but then there's a lot to know about medicine. So we do the best we can with the information we've got. Thank you Glen.

Becky, thanks too for the heads up on the diabetes factor. I'll tell Dad.

Little side note...I didn't question the wisdom of letting my Dad know y'all...lol...then my husband pointed out "You know he'll see how weird you are right?" LOL I am sure he's figured that one out by now.