1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Yes, another stop rot question

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Manderscheidt, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Here is Roger. He was supposed to be waking our daughter up...instead, I go in & find him on the bed with her...sleeping! :D

[​IMG]

I'll play catch up for anyone who doesn't want to read through the previous 7 pages. When my Mom first got this dog, Roger, he had open sores on both of his front legs. He was a neglect case...left in a small chain link cage. He would cower whenever a man raised his voice, even just loud enough to be heard across a room. Any man wearing a hat would make him whine. He was rescued and lived with a very nice family (and 7 other dogs :)) for 2 months before we got him. Licking his paws looked like a nervous habit. I thought he was just scared. His sores sort of started to heal after my Mom's vet put him on Prednisone. He'd let one side heal while he licked the other. But after about 2 months, both sides weren't weeping any more. Still sores, but not leaking fluid. My Mom had another Golden, Rowdy. Roger & Rowdy were peas in a pod...Rowdy taught Roger how to be a dog. It was awesome to watch. And then my Mom died.

Roger came to live with me & my family for 2 weeks while my Dad decided if he wanted the responsibility of two big ole dogs again. He decided he did. But in those two weeks, Roger had started licking again. Sores were weeping as bad as they were before.

Dad took Roger to Mom's vet again. After a year and a half of emotional stability, these sores had NEVER gone away completely. They had healed a little, or switched sides back & forth, but they never went away. After those 18 months of dickering around, thinking that it was allergies, or nerves or grass or genetics or WHATEVER, I read a thread here where my bottle of Stop-Rot was shown to promote healing. I gave my Dad some of my SR. He put it on with the vet's approval (she was at her wit's end and would have tried Unicorn dust if she'd had any) but I sent her links to Glen's photos that show the results it gives. She didn't know if it would help, but she didn't think it'd hurt, so we might as well try it.

This small dry spot is the worst that is left of any of his sores. This spot is just dry skin...hair is creeping in from the sides very slowly. No other spots or scars are visible any where on his legs. He doesn't lick them. Dad doesn't put Stop-Rot on them any more.

[​IMG]

In my book, that counts as healed. Thank you Glen, thank you very much. ;)

2. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

That's wonderful.

Glen, if the clone people get hold of that stuff, they might take a piece of skin and grow a person ;)

3. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

I'm really not bringing a dead thread back up, I'm bringing a living thread back up for some new additions. I realize many were not on the forum at the time we had this one running, there is a lot of sound "back room" information through these pages.

4. Lisa M

The dog I posted those pictures of...every 6 months or so he'll lick up a new spot. Sometimes, my Dad won't see he's doing it until the sore is there. The new vet thought Stop-Rot was a bunch of hooey. She insisted Dad shouldn't use it. One of the sores got infected. They were looking at surgery. Dad said screw that...let's put that stuff on it again.

3 weeks later...sore's healed. Go figure! ;)

5. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

My Stop Rot is pretty old and it appears to be full of alien life forms. Either that, or it has been colonized by very small, black sea urchins. (Admittedly, they DO seem to be healthy and thriving.)
    I am assuming it is toast and I should dispose of it because it looks so weird that I am hesitant to even test it. Still, the influence from some long-forgotten Scottish ancestor makes it very hard for me to throw anything away if I have paid for it.
    Has anybody else seen this happen to Stop Rot? Is it truly and irrevokeably dead and ready to bury or is there something I can do to it to make it good again?

6. Lisa M

IME (in my experience instead of O for opinion) it's still good Nancy...it just gets them...Glen'll explain things, but in the mean time, don't bury it. ;)

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Good reading from a few years ago, it is worth re-reading again.

8. Megan :)

Megan :) Well-Known Member

Wow.

9. paul e

paul e New Member

SURE IS T

we wont forget you Uncle Glen !
    Love YA! and rest in peace