1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

grants for school and opening a business?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by ladyarcher726, Sep 21, 2007.

1. ladyarcher726

ladyarcher726 2012: 1st & best of category

I'm jumping the gun a bit, ok a lot, but I'm wondering if there are any grants out there to help pay for going to taxidermy school, and for starting a new business... and anything for women doing this? I have absolutely no idea where to even begin looking for such information.
    Thank you

2. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

JMO, i'd stay as far away from that as possible. Be independant, work your ass off, build your credit, get a loan if needed & build your business on your own! Sorry, but that's just my 2 cents worth of opinion.

3. I agree with Michael.......Dont depend on some one else to start your business for you........

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The short answer to both your questions is NO! Taxidermy is not considered a "business" by most lending firms and certainly not grants. If you need positive proof, call your insurance agent and tell him you're opening a taxidermy business and would like to attach your shop as a rider to your home policy. (P.S. Don't tell him that until you already have someone else lined up to cover your home)

5. Tmbrwlf52

Tmbrwlf52 Member

You may want to check this site out http://www.federal-grant-money.com/ , I too am starting out and was looking along those lines but not worth the aggravation. There are a bunch of sites you can look into but i have not studied law and it's alot of crap to try and figure out, at least for me . I agree with Michael to just put my nose to the grind and plug away and kick ass and take names.I ALSO think there will be more satifaction knowing I did it on my own. Live and learn has always been my best teacher . Good luck to whatever way you choose .

6. Grants are never given for private individuals needs. They are for interest that beneift groups or reserach. My Wife writes grants and laughs everytime someone ask about things as such.

You could get s recycling plant grant if none are in your area and be a individual, but it benifits the community in a way.

The theory that bucause you are a female in a basicly male occupation does not work either.

My wife just spent $7,000.00 for the 2008 books and I can assure you that you will stike out asking for a grant for either business startup of education for taxidermy.

You may get a pell grant thru some schools but none that really teach you how to do good work.

7. ladyarcher726

ladyarcher726 2012: 1st & best of category

thanks John, that is very informative. We were just wondering because heck, if the programs are out there why not take advantage of it? We all certainly pay plenty in taxes to support so many of them out there that take advantage, you know?

8. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Do you have a mouse in your pocket ??? ??? I'm just curious who the WE are in your statement. Yes I do pay plenty in taxes, actually to damn much. I'm sick and tired of this entitlement mentality. If YOU do pay plenty of taxes then you should have plenty of ability to manage your funds & start a Taxidermy business on your own. I mean it's not a damn Mc Donald's franchise where you need a few million dollars or some very well financially backed investors.

Your comment "if the programs are out there why not take advantage of it?......so many of them out there that take advantage, you know" is the very snowball effect in thinking that is really gonna have alot of folks in trouble. "They get something for free from the Government, why shouldn't I" I am in no way trying to construe that I am better than you, all I am saying is that I was raised to where if you want something, go out and EARN it. I will damn well guarantee you that you will have more respect & pride in your business if you build it yourself. JMO......this entitlement mentality so many seem to here in America now really puts me up on my soap box. I say pull yourself up by your boot straps & get it done. There are plenty of Taxidermist's out there that love to see others succeed, and will do alot to help you in your endeavour. If for some reason you feel that you being a woman might hold you back in this industry then associate yourself with the Jan George's of this industry & I can assure that you will go far.

socalmountainman likes this.
  9. Solution call Annacour Motels and tell them you are from India and need to own a motel. Use one room for taxidermy.

10. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

ROFLMAO John C That made me laugh..

LadyArcher... Last year I was where you are at... Just starting out, debating what to do....Same deal, female, wanting to do taxidermy, thinking about a loan.....
    Forget it... It isnt worth it.. You do not need a loan to start up. Fact is you can buy your supplies a little at a time, as you grow expand your tools. My biggest expense was the flesher. But even that is not something you need RIGHT NOW... The rest is fairly small stuff.. I did not go to school, I learned by video, books and being here on Taxinet. I also know animals and am artistic. Now its a year later since I first started and I have my business, Actually taking in paying customers, and its coming along quite nicely.. And I didnt need a loan or grant to do it. It didnt happen over night, and sitting there now looking ahead a year seems like a long time, but it really isnt.
    If you get a chance go to your state shows even if you dont compete at least go and attend the seminars, join the state association, and plan to compete next year. Youll learn ALOT. If you can go to school, do it.. Pick a good one and go... I wish I could have gone, but my life doesnt allow for leaving for two or three weeks. I was caring for Grandma 24/7 and of course my kids and hubby..
    I guess what Im trying to say is... You do not need to start out by going in debt or looking for a handout. I know it sounds great to have someone hand you a check, (who wouldnt like free money LOL) but from what I was checking out it really isnt worth it. Just start out slowly buying the stuff you will need as you are learning.
    Good luck and have fun :)

tviper56 likes this.
  11. Your best bet is see if there is a local economic develpment agency in your area. They help with small business loans and do not have a strict of qualifing standards as some of the banks do. You will need to do a business plan and earnings projections for any loan. You can get all that info through the small business association and your local university's business department can help guide you along to. Best of luck.

12. catman

catman Active Member

Many schools rely on gov. dollars to pay tuition for many students. This usually is done where there are layoffs or a disability and the student wants to take advantage of retraining benefits.

13. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

DO NOT BORROW MONEY TO OPEN A BUSINESS - start small and go with cash

tviper56 and socalmountainman like this.
  14. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

That will sure suprise my kids who receive MANY grants EVERY year for college.

Check with someone in your state some areas are different than others. there IS money available someplaces for small business.

Otherwise the advice you received is accurate.

15. Jim yes grants for qualified education, normally in pursuit of a degree of some kind.

I think what she was talking about is getting a grant for a taxidermy class or school, that just don't happen either.

No grants for small business unless they will benefit the community.

My Wife wrote a grant app. for a recycling center, they got $120,000. but it benefits the whole county not just one private individual. Plus some other grant will be comming down the pike for it. But we all know how the recycle thing is in right now and when none exists in the county.

I doubt there would be a county in any US state without two or more taxidermist or wanna be taxidermist.

16. booker81

booker81 New Member

MI
    I looked into it, and yeah, talk about red tape.

Your best bet is to network and set a budget for "spending". When I was working, I had $200/month "budgeted" for taxidermy - learning and supplies. Now that I'm NOT working, well, I don't have that budget, and I'll just have to wait until some of the money I'm expecting rolls in.

"Networking" is better. I've gotten lessons from taxidermists by trying to be a nice and interested person, I've gotten a stand because I am friends with a welder, and I just got at least 100lbs of very nice thin, stretchy leather for antler mounts from another friend who had it sitting around. I read tips on here, and paste them into word so I have a little lesson book for myself. My mom's friend's husband helps people start up business, and teaches classes at a college for starting business. He's offered to help for free, and gave me a whole lot of info for getting prepared to start a business. I've got a bit of a headstart because my mom supported our family with a small business (large horse training/breeding/boarding farm). I have a lot better idea of how taxes, insurance, zoning, and other goodies go.

You can do the legwork for pretty cheap, but you still have to do it. Money would make it easier, sure. There still is no such thing as a free ride, no matter what any one says.

17. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

That is for sure.

18. Enlighten Me !....Now, If you pay Taxes, have to have to file for a Business Licence, State, at least...why would Taxidermy not be considered a Business ?.
    In Europe it's even discribed in the EU.
    That might be somthing for the NTA to tackle , If True.
    Buck....

19. joshuametcalfe

joshuametcalfe New Member

Grants for starting new business in this field sounds very unrealistic. You should count on hard work and consider taking a loan for small business, just calculate risks carefully.

20. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Off subject but I sure do miss OldTerry's tutorials.... he taught me how to make my first foam rocks.