1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Slight Smell after mounted?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by ropenridengirl, Sep 26, 2007.

1. I have used the crap, it will leave a musky almost rotten smell to the hide. I did several heads with it a few years back and man the stick was bad!! I think I can flesh as good as anyone and I know the hides were thin, yet as they dried the musky almost rotten mildew smell arose and it never went away. Two years later I had to replace three of the capes, they still had that stink.

You must also think about this, JRTC may have a 4.5pH but it has food preservatives in it, these are what are normally found in Cereals BTH, BHA, when you read up on these you will find they will not perserve meats.

These were never meant for long term storage either!! Check out the selflife of those preservatives!!

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

OK John, this from someone touting battery acid smell of Krowtan. I'll pass if you don't mind. The only "smell" from JRTS is a lanolin smell and from several other posts, it would seem that some folks haven't burned out their olfactory senses like others of us have. And in case no one else knows or notices, 4.5 is the OPTIMUM pH FOR ALL TANNING TO BE DONE. Always has been, likely always will be. Last time I checked, acids don't have a "shelf life" and if my cucumber pickle has an equal or lower pH, I don't worry about it very much. Tomato's, oranges, and lemons all have lower pH's I'm sure. The acid in my stomach is much stronger.

3. I have had some capes that were in full rut that smell purdy strong. I tan my hides myself. ( Liqua tan ) When i get these strong rutting capes, after the skin has gone through the tanning solution, I wash with water, dawn, fabric softner and for these strong capes,,,,I put a lil odor ban in the wash. Works like a charm.

4. Roger E

Roger E Member

MT
    I am betting the odor/smell you are detecting is the actual smell of the product,(which I don"t find too offensive, but certainly detectable), and that smell will leave as the mount continues to dry and cure.