1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ben Mears selling to McKenzie

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Bojack, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Bojack

Bojack "PR" Moro's Nocturnal Timber Ghost

I got my letter over the weekend that Ben Mears Supply was selling to Mckenzie. I really like Mckenzie, but will they turn out to be the Wal-Mart of the Taxidermy industry? Seems they wont have much competition before long and in turn their prices will keep rising. How do some of you guys feel about this?

2. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

I don't think they will ever be the "Wal-mart of Taxidermy" as you put it. Because they are to focused on their Quality and Service! You can't blame McKenzie's for raising their prices when the price of materials to make the stuff they sell goes up they have no choice but to pass it on to us and we pass it on to our customers. Thats what makes the world go around I guess!

3. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Prices arent the bad part about this lack of choice is the killer. I bought extensivly from noonkester, McKenzie dropped many of the supplies I used & liked. Its like we got a chain hardware store in our little town, in 2 years the independents were gone. Now I have a choice of duct tape that doesnt stick or a 50 mile round trip to get some that will. Funny though when ordering from another supplier (because McKenzie had dropped a product) I tried a couple corsican sheep forms. Found I liked them much better than McKenzies so no more McKenzie forms for me & we do over 100 rams a year. The forms are about 6 bucks cheaper too.

4. Greg Waite

Greg Waite Active Member

From someone who is helping a friend get his forms and supply business going (See Sale Catagory), you wouldn't believe the amount of money and time it takes to get & keep it going. There are so many things that we take for granted, even the marketing and lord forbid catalogs. I think there will be always be some who try and make it and some who don't. But those that don't may bring the best thing since sliced bread. So help support the little guys and buy some of the forms I am trying to push!!!! But I agree with bill about using other suppliers, I just ordered a bird flesher from Van Dykes. And order Stop Rot (plug for Glen) and a few other things from Research. And a I plan on ordering a few deer forms from Eppley (thanks boone). Just my 2 cents

5. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Greg,
    I believe supporting ALL the suppliers is in our best interest.

6. buckmaster3000

buckmaster3000 New Member

SO I was telling the truth to you and everyone said i was on crack about 3 weeks ago when i said he sold out , so IM not on the pipe, I live near him I knew it about 3 weeks ago so everyone that said i was crazy owes me a apology

7. Jan Van Hoesen

Jan Van Hoesen New Member

Please remember that these companies asked MxKenzie to buy them out not the other way around. McKenzie still carries Noonkester procucts but has them in a smaller catalog that you have to ask for. They only put my lifesize mammal mannikins in their big catalog. My pedestle and earliners are still sold by them but they are in a smaller catalog.