1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wrong size form?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Slick, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Slick

Slick Something smells fishy?

I would like some opinions on a trout form. I got in a brown trout,my first one. Measured from collarbone to base of tail. Which was 15 1/2 in. So I ordered a general trout form that was a 1/2in. shorter to get the girth right. After I skinned it and test fit on form the skin was 2 in. to long for the form I got. It is like the skin stretched. Is there something I can do to fix this or do I need to get a different form?

2. FinFlight

FinFlight TRAIL CREEK

All fish elongate after there skinned.For trout and salmon i use john Rinehart bodies and it say in the catalog to order one size up do to the stretch. You could put some fill in the head to make it up but watch so your fins are right good luck

3. You can add to the length by spacing four 1/2 blocks spaced out evenly. and carving the blocks back to the form size.

Now you know to order the form one inch larger in girth, this will fix the length stretched problems.

Or get some Dow insulation board, glue the templates up and carve your own body using the form for reference.

4. Wild Bill

Wild Bill If my hats missing im fishing

Slick you said you ordered a general trout form? Is it from Matt Thompson? If it is this always happens and personally I don't care for their general trout forms and try to avoid using them. They always fit too small, especially on the girth. If it was me I would order another form from someone else. Thats just my personal preference.

5. Slick

It is a Dennis Arp general trout form. I use artifical heads.What the problem is that I start putting the skin on at the collarbone and work my way back to the tail. It is the right length from the collarbone to the pelvic fins. Then from there back it does not fit. The vent and the anal fin are not where they are suposse to be about an inch. Then at the tail it is 2 1/2 inches to long. What size of form should I get if I decide to order a different on. The measurements are 15 1/2 x 14.

6. try puting the skin on the form by the head then go to the tail not doing anything in the middle.. and pin the tail in place and taxi the skin in the middle...
    as your starting with the head and working the skin back its streching the skin longer than it was... hard to explane but it works...(if the form is correct)
    i can take a form i carved and start on the head and work my way back and it always looks like the form is to short... and the skin dont fit.. but start with head and then directly to the tail and the same form fits perfictly....

Please note, that the information I give, will be strictly my own opinion, and should not be taken as "gospel". Also, anyone else is more than welcome to add their own ideas, thoughts & opinions. Also, I may have omitted something, feel free to add whatever I may have missed.

7. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

FishStuffer nailed it. ALWAYS head and tail first, then adjust everything in-between. Your form may not be that far off - IF at all...

8. Slick

Thanks I will try that.If there is any other opinions please do tell.

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Yeah carve your trout bodies from a pattern made from the fish and it WILL fit.