1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitetail fleshing tools

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by paulke6, Sep 28, 2007.

1. What are the best tools for fleshing a whitetail deer that are the cheapest. I don't need to buy anything expensive because I am just starting out for a hobby. Thanks

2. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

scalpel, sharp knife and instruction.

3. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

A Mexican.

4. weaselthumper

weaselthumper "Was It Good For You?"

LMAO

5. nibjones is correct. Buy yourself a fleshing video, watch it, then decide if you even want to attempt it. Funny Michael!

6. 458okie

458okie Jeff "458okie" W.

I bet that little Mexican tries to whup yer arse at times...but dang, that was funny!!!!

My other half is Pennsylvanian Dutch, with some mean German and Irish in the staunch genetic elixer, and I once suggested she chew the hides like the old Indian squaws after a brain tan, but she for some strange reason refused. I figured she'd be elated to demonstrate to our kids some historical methods of tanning, but she acted grumpy instead....shhh, she might be listening and my butt will get blistered beneath an ominous cloud of blonde obsenities which will hover over Broken Arrow for weeks....

Anyhow, here's a picture of my babe (one of my favorites from our wedding day):

7. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Nice teeth!

8. 458okie

458okie Jeff "458okie" W.

...imagine how polished they'd be if she had gnawed on that hide.

(well, she chews on my scruffy hide from time to time....)

9. bigbuck28

bigbuck28 New Member

LMAO!!! ;D

10. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I bought an Ulu knife from WalMart and it has been the best fleshing knife I've ever used. Only cost about $5. Then I use a grinder with a wire wheel. Between the two, I get pretty good results.

MLP

11. a pressure washer!!!!!!! best fleshing tool i ever used

12. John W.

John W. New Member

A beaming knife from Mckenzies for $20 will take off big chunks of red meat and fat and a sharp knife or scalpel for shaving work,its more labor but can be done.;D

13. bigbuck28

bigbuck28 New Member

Could i use the preasure washer to do all my fleshing?

14. fougair

fougair New Member

What about thinning hide or do you just send it out for shaving?