1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Loose scales

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Glen D, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Glen D

Glen D New Member

I know this has been asked many times but I couldn't read the old forums. What are some options for helping keeping the scales from becoming loose, especially on a crappie, thanks for your time.

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I have rubber pads under my certified scale to keep it from moving when I weight those big crappies!

Sorry! Just kidding! :D :D :D

I don't do anything different other than taking the carcass out in 3 or four sections with curved scissors to cause less stress on the skin. It leaves a lot more to scrape out, but that is less stressful on the skin than twisting and turning to get the carcass out in one piece IMHO.

You will find soaking the skin in straight denatured alcohol will also tighten up the scales, as will salt applied liberally over the show side for about 20 minutes. I have heard of applying newspaper with glue (allegedly the newspaper and glue comes off in the soak), or simply drying out the skin in the freezer before skinning.

The main thing with crapppies is BE GENTLE!

3. hford

hford New Member

I've tried denatured alcohol and salt and they help some, but just letting the fish thaw and not washing the slim off but blowing a fan on it for about an hour with the show side up, then definitely skin in sections.

4. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    Don't thaw them completely. I rarely have crappie problems. The trick is to only partially thaw them, then skin. If your fingers are not cold while skinning, your crappie is too thawed. Good Luck

5. Auggie

Auggie Startem young

Denatured alcohol, a coat of elmers glue(let dry), and skin the crappie on a wet glass surface. Pretty good luck with this method.

6. woodswatersz

woodswatersz Do you smell that?

Try skinning on a pile of borax. This helps from bending and twisting. Once I tried this method I haven't tried anything else. Like with any fish, just go slow and pay attention. Spending an extra 15-30minutes skinning can save you an hours worth of apoxy work later on. GL, and keep practicing!