1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Maceration Step by Step ... Revisited

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Wolfwoman, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

Ok, now that I'm really done, let's see if I can simplify this a bit. The other post got quite large and people were having a hard time following it!

Fresh skulls outta the freezer... Black bear, Grizzly Bear and Wolverine...
    [​IMG]

I cut off as much meat as my patience and time allows, the more you cut off the faster the maceration process is. It works either way tho. I have three lynx that I threw in the bucket whole.
    [​IMG]

And the bins that I clean in. Lynx are in the white bucket and bears in the blue bin. Both have heaters set about 82 degrees, higher temps (I've heard) can damage skulls. Don't want that!
    [​IMG]

Someone had asked about previously rotten skulls. They can be done the same way, here's a pic of some really nice and ripe ones that I did with this same method.
    [​IMG]

10 days into the process... I'll be adding more water to both buckets tomorrow. (30May07) Might even take some of em out and see how they're really doing. If I do I'll post more pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A top on the bucket prevents evaporation, not to mention keeps the smell down! lol

Here's a few more steps today. I pulled the lynx out and rinsed them off, two of them are ready for degreasing and one needs more maceration. I pull all the teeth that haven't fallen out at this stage (if I can without harming skull or teeth) and place them on a meat tray for later. I put a colored zip tie on the skulls and lower jaws and one in the tray so I don't have to wonder what teeth go with what skull later on!

Ok here's taking them outta the bucket of water still in their ziplocks. You can pour (SLOWLY) a good amount of the water out of the bag without losing teeny tiny teeth as they pretty much stay in the bottom corners. You have to fetch em out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The lower jaw has tissue in between that needs to be cleaned off also. The more tissue you can get off your skull, the better (actually, it ALL needs to come off). That's the other reason I pull as many teeth as I can (if they don't fall out). Once you're done you glue it back together, most jawbones interlock quite nicely and it's not hard to get them back together. I glue and rubberband til it's dry.

Here we go, one wolf and 2 lynx skulls degreased and ready to go into 3% WalMart brown bottle peroxide. Straight, no dilution needed. See the difference in the color of the skulls? The wolf sat for 3 years outside in a bucket (no water) and the lynx were macerated. One of the lynx almost doesn't need whitening.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is what you get when you don't degrease enough. These have already been whitened, but I'm going to put them back in degreaser for a couple weeks to get the last few spots out that I didn't see when they were still wet.
    [​IMG]

I've only used ammonia once and I don't care for it, maybe someone else can help with that. Soak in peroxide about 48 hours, after that it won't get any whiter. You can use the peroxide more than once, but it does lose it's strength after awhile. I've used a long narrow shallow container for deer, propped them up and used a paper towel wrapped around the antlers to wick up the peroxide.

Here's almost done skulls that started this post:

The large griz and the black bear that will go in peroxide tomorrow when I get more :p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Two wolverine that will also go in peroxide.... and the griz teeth on a tray
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a badger that was BLACK when I took it out of the plastic bag.... it's been rotting thru two winters! LOL It lightened up as it dried.
    [​IMG]

And so we come to the original skulls once again, finished! Teeth glued back in with Elmer's. Yukon still thinks they would be fun to play with. There is no smell left in any of the skulls (at least to me!) and they have all their nasal bones left too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any additional comments and questions are welcome!

Wolfwoman

2. hmmca

hmmca Member

A great tutorial, way to go and I will be following the steps in about a week.

Thanks Greg

3. killzone

killzone New Member

Very nice work Wolfwoman! Excellent pictures, and love the ones with your dog. LOL There is one thing I have learned worth mentioning is to never macerate anything smaller then a skunk unless you enjoy working with tweezers and a magnifying glass to reinstall teeth, and other loose bones.

4. Wolfwoman

Greg, have fun :)

killzone, I AGREE! I've done mink and marten, LOTS of em... but possum are the worst!

5. bonez

bonez New Member

PA
    Wolfwoman Very nice job on the whole presentation I'm sure it will help a lot of people with there projects.
    Regards
    Bonez

6. Thanks alot for posting a new version of this, Wolfie! You (amongst others) helped me alot when I was really getting into learning this process. Maceration is my favorite. I have learned other degreasing methods and whitening methods, but I'll never stray from the maceration process. I've stated I'd like to use beetles, but no way do I need more living animals or insects, so for now, I'm loyal to the stink. ;D I know this post will come in handy for many, many newcomers, too.

7. Wolfwoman

Thanks to both. Who knows, maybe someday I can put it on a video....lol

8. charlieo

charlieo New Member

very informative, thanks for all the explanation of the steps. i am new to the forum. the skulls just go into straight water to start the maceration process? also would this work the same for an alligator skull?

9. TrekJeff

TrekJeff New Member

Too cool, makes me want to make some stew.

A question about the fish tank heaters. Do they get hot enough to cause problems if they touch the side of a plastic bucket?

10. Wolfwoman

I have never done a gator skull, so I'm not sure about those. But yes, straight into water to start.

The heaters I buy have suction cups attached and I can place them on the side of the bin where there's no troubles. HOWEVER I wouuldn't think if you kept it around 80-85 it would be a problem, but I don't know. I would just make sure it's away from everything.

11. Wolfwoman

There have been more questions on maceration, so I'm bumping this to the top.

12. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

I think I might like to try this method on the deer skull that I have left. It will give me more time to think about beetles.

How long does it take to do a deer skull?

Will the fish tank heaters keep the water in a 5 gallon bucket up to the proper temperature if it is 35 - 40 degrees outside?

What temp do you keep your water at?

13. bone_painter

bone_painter "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."

Awesome Wolfie!
    I like the condensed version, it makes it easier to follow. I was just working on some stew skulls today, I have two bobcat, a grey fox, 3 pine martin & two bears going. I had one skull that I pulled out & the bone had become very porous all over, could that be due to the temp being too high? I keep my heater at 89. It's funny though, the skull that came out damaged was only in for a week where my other skulls were in for 3 weeks and came out fine. Any thoughts?

14. Michelle_Nelson

How do you get all the meat and all that wonderful stuff out of the tiny nasal bones with out destroying them?

15. bone_painter

bone_painter "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."

MNT-
    The flesh melts away with maceration. I just rinse under running water & it's perfect. That's why I like maceration better than beetles- the beetles sometimes leave flesh in there or they die or shed their shells in there & you can't get them out.

16. Wolfwoman

MNT - I can't really tell you the amount of time as each skull is different, and yes the aquarium heaters should work even outside, I've got a bin outside right now and it's twenty below and they're at least not frozen :p

Bone Painter, not sure on that one! Maybe someone else will chime in? I sure do miss Wacbravo!!

17. Michelle_Nelson

what is the ideal temp to keep the water at?

Sorry I wasn't looking for an exact time for a deer skull. Do you think 1 - 2 months?

Can you leave a skull in the water to long? Will the bacteria and water temp start disolving the bone if left to long.

Sorry, never used this method befor and I am full of quesions. Right now I don't have any skulls to practice with. I have a deer skull and a bear skull that will go 18 1/8 B&C.

I know that I do not want to boil them!!!

Walmart should sell fish tank heaters shouldn't they?

18. Wolfwoman

I use about 85 degrees, and I've never had a skull dissolve or start to, even when left in water for over 6 months. 1-2 months should be good, you just have to play it by ear :) Walmart has tank heaters, buy a submersible one, and preferably one that isn't glass, that way you don't have to worry about breakage.

19. Michelle_Nelson

I went out and bought a tank heater at Walmart. Not sure if it is submersible or not. I leave it about 1" out of the water. I got it in a bucket of water right now because I have to adjust the thermastat manualy. Gonna drop a deer skull in it tomarrow if I can get the temp of the bucket where I want it.

20. Wolfwoman

Put it in now and let the water warm up with it in there, it won't hurt it. I dropped a frozen mtn lion skull in a cold bucket of water and put in the heater, it'll warm up :)