1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Maceration Step by Step ... Revisited

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Wolfwoman, Sep 29, 2007.

1. big o

big o New Member

PA
    i tall you what i did it and it worked grate good Job

2. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

3. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob New Member

Wolfman, thanks great help. Are the zip lock bags sealed or just full of the water and floating in the buckets? ???

4. Wolfwoman

I close them up when I can, if you don't the water goes out and parts of the skull is exposed to air. Can leave stain lines.

Wolfwoman

5. aztaxidermy

aztaxidermy double lungsville bang'em n hang'em

CT
    great job came out great

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Wolfwoman

*snicker* :D

7. Wolfwoman

*sigh* I'm used to it ;D

8. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob New Member

:-[ Ok ok I'm sorry Wolfwomen. Thanks again I am going to start 2 skulls today.

9. Wolfwoman

It's a standing joke Bob ;D ;D

Post pics as you go!

10. Sea Wolf

*snicker*

Now they be two of you .. or maybe three Wolfwomen. :) Not sure the forum can handle more than one. :D

11. Wolfwoman

I'm thinking ONE is enough!!! lol

12. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob New Member

Yes I will.

13. I saw you used ziplock bags to catch the teeth and such, great idea but wouldn't that also catch the runny oncewasflesh? is there something like a pair of nylons? or some kind of plastic netting that's spaced big enough to let the oncewasflesh ( I kinda like that word :D ) to let that through but still catch the other bones/teeth? I read somewhere you shouldn't use a metal bucket so I would assume an old screen wouldn't be a good choice.

14. Wolfwoman

I just open the bag, take out the skull and jawbones, pour off (carefully) a bunch of the water, then a take and run clean water in it until it's clear. Stick my hand in and retrieve the teeth. There is nothing better than a ziplock for small skulls, because even nylons are going to catch rotted flesh, and if you use a screen much bigger than nylon, tiny teeth WILL go thru,

15. Alrighty thanks!

16. Sea Wolf

Gross gross gross .... No, that WILL catch all manner of nastiness. Nope, plastic baggiies. I like the stronger Ziplocs as the zipper on the top is stiff enough to hold the bag out and keep it from collapsing. The gunk inside easily washes out with a gentle stream of water and leaves all nice clean bone and teeth in the bottom. :)

17. hahaha ok then I'll stick with the ziplock baggies.

18. DTSkulls

DTSkulls Member

I have looked over the thread, but may have overlooked it, but do you seal your ziploc bags when macerating? I didn't know if being sealed would matter as far as the gases escaping?

19. Wolfwoman

I seal them when I can, some skulls are too big sometimes. As long as you can get them to float upright they don't have to be sealed.

20. BabyGirl

BabyGirl Member

What do you use to degrease the skulls