1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fixed the Kestrel (i think)

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by RobAyrshire, Oct 24, 2006.

1. RobAyrshire

RobAyrshire New Member

Hi,

Heres a pic of the slightly adjusted Kestrel.

Rob

2. ole.cm

ole.cm Guest

Hi, your birds look good,but i think they ment you shoud vent the head more like pics nr 1.
    but i think you should vent the bird more like pics nr 2.(look at the head and legs) ;D ;D ;D
    and you find some good referens at:http://www.digimakro.de/Bilder/tiere1.htm

hope it will help you to the next kestrel.

ole.cm

3. ole.cm

ole.cm Guest

i found a falcon from frank newmayer in that positure i ment the falcon shout stay in.
    i know it is wrong to see at other mountet bird, but i dont find a pitcure when the head vings and tail loks like this falcon.(but close only the tail was up ;D)

ole.cm

4. BigSwede

BigSwede Member

I do quite many raptors each year and some kestrels, they need special permits in Sweden. I think your bird looks much much better now, the neck - body transition and the shoulder area esp. Maybe you could show some more of the leg covers (don´t know the name in english for this feather group) but I think overall it loooks softer and more balanced. The eye detaills are hard too see, I myself sculpt the eyelids in pre- colored apoxie-sculpt. I suppose you used the natural skull, I usually use cast heads (I have severel silicon molds) but incorporate the natural upper beak, this makes for a very natural looking head. It is fun however to see something different than ducks and turkeys.
    BigSwede

5. Peter Span

Peter Span Corvids, gotta catch them all!

Yes, this is better. The back and neck are smoother. In my opinion the bird looks a bit too slim, but it's not unnatural. I like the down-looking pose, very typical for kestrels. Like BigSwede said, use apoxy to build up the eyelids and skin in front of the eyes, as well as the wax skin on the beak. Good luck.

6. RobAyrshire

RobAyrshire New Member

Hi,

Cheers guys. Its a young bird. Maybe this explains its slimness.Was actually hit by a taxi in front of me, when i was out a run on my motorbike.

Will post more pics as i go along.

Cheers
    Rob

7. taxos

taxos Finches, Buntings

Hi Rob,

The bird looks much better now, more neat. It depends on your ´taste´ to put the bird´s head more horizontally or keep it looking downwards. very nice bird!

8. daniel

daniel New Member

nice one rob look,s like a different bird as the other guy,s said it doe,s look a bit slim i think you should push her bum slightly forward straightening the leg,s a little and lifting her slightly up if you know what i mean did you inject the feet with any thing ?they look a bit swollen but im now im just mumbling on as i said the kes look,s completly different nice one rob all the best DANIEL. ;) ;) :)ps i think turning the head slightly make,s a lot of difference they dont look so dead regard,s DANIEL

9. RobAyrshire

RobAyrshire New Member

Hi,

The feet have been injected with a fomalin substitute. I have still to paint them. Do you guys airbrush or just brush on?

Cheers
    Rob

10. BigSwede

BigSwede Member

I use both airbrush and paintbrush. After whitening out the feet (do not cover up scale detail) I spray various yellow shades until it looks good. Then Crylon matte finnish, let it dry, take very thin dark blackish brown and brush on the feet and toes then wipe of with a dry cloth - the dark will stay between scales giving a very realistic effect. Again the matte finnish spray, let dry. Rub CAREFULLY with baby powder, talcum - blow of the excess. This will look really natural, like the waxy debris found in between live birds scales. The talcum powder tip I found in a number of BREAKTHROUGH. I loved the look the method created. B S

11. RobAyrshire

RobAyrshire New Member

Hi Big Swede

What do you mean, whitening out the feet?

Rob

12. BigSwede

BigSwede Member

Sorry for my english, I mean I use a light base coat, white or soft flesh, to make it easier to bring out the yellow with less paint. You do not want the feet to appear painted, use all colors sparingly. B S

13. Nice bird but look at the whole picture; the base, the bird feet, the body of the bird, the head. You need to check the center of gravity on the bird. This is a standing bird. The leg is not in proportion to the body. It would fall on its butt, if it wasn't anchored. Refer to the live photos above, picture number 2 and 3.

14. RobAyrshire

RobAyrshire New Member

Hi,

Yeh, see what you mean. Im away to adjust it again.

Cheers
    Rob