1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How do I legally sell a road kill racoon,coyote,fox,ducks,geese,ect

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Murphyhunter, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Murphyhunter

Murphyhunter New Member

I want to sell some stuff to empty my freezer but try and do it legally any advise??? {im in Oregon}

2. ar delta

ar delta New Member

i dont think you are aloud to sell any waterfowl or there parts, i think that is a federal law. all you can do with them is give them away. in arkansas we are allowed to sell any fur that has a season on it. check your state laws and the will tell you what you can sell and what you can,t.

3. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Here in Alabama I could sell the raccoon, coyote and fox with a fur bearers license. The ducks and geese don't even consider it unless they are white farm ducks because it's a federal thang. As for the "ect" you ought to be OK?

4. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

You need to check your regulations. Is it legal to pick up roadkill? Anything protected under federal migratory can not be sold, only gifted. However pen raised birds CAN be sold with the proper paperwork.
    You really need to check your states regulations or call fish and game to be sure what you can and can not do. Its safer than asking online.

5. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

I don't understand the reason why some states won't allow you to pick up road kill? Alabama says pick'em all up! while 45miles north in Tennessee its illegal! ???

6. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

LOL Be glad you dont live in Calif.... Not only can we not pick up road kill.... you should see some of the other off the wall regs LOL..

7. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

I can only imagine Rae!

8. Murphyhunter

Murphyhunter New Member

I can buy a tag to pick roadkill up. And I'll try seeing if the furbears licence. Thaanks

9. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

aloud = allowed spell check anyone

10. choo choo charlie

choo choo charlie I feel pretty good for the way I feel

Thanks Terry, it was about to kill me!

11. silvan

silvan New Member

In washington the game dept. will nail ya for looking at a dead animal!

12. ladyarcher726

ladyarcher726 2012: 1st & best of category

I asked a trapper friend if picking up roadkill in WI was illegal and he said no... I was stupid enough to go to our dnr website to try to find out... silly me, that site is fubar!

13. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

who told you that. I know you can deer all you have to do is call and tell them so they can give you a tag for it. At least two years ago you could. I had a customer that did it.

14. Here in Indiana you can pick up roadkill as long as you call the authorities to get a roadkill tag. After you get the tag, it's all yours.

15. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

I was referring to furbearing animals like fox and bobcats. At least thats what the rule book said in 1997 when I hunted in Tennessee.

16. its illegal in PA to pick up dead animals.
    it only legal if you pay the game commision like 25 dollars

17. TrekJeff

TrekJeff New Member

Check your local/state taxidermy association. Michigan has some regs that I didn't know that existed. I didn't realize that if someone brought me thier skull to do a euro mount and I charged them 100 bucks to do it that I needed a Taxidermy license. Then all the stuff that goes with your inventory control to ensure the animals you have were taken legally.

18. ladyarcher726

ladyarcher726 2012: 1st & best of category

I did get ahold of the local warden (two actually) and no, here in WI we can't just pick up roadkill... we have to leave it where it is and call the warden who has to come and tag it and we have to pay fees because the animal is not taken by means of hunting or trapping... so we just let it lay there to rot. nice.

19. acgfurs

acgfurs New Member

DONT TOUCH THE BIRDS- I saw an EAGLE dead and I just kept driving. GUILTY until proven innocent and no matter what your story is, new birds without licenses are going to get seized and you will get a fine. Give them away.