1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

WING"TIPS" # 24 Feather ''Curling"

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by wingman, Oct 9, 2007.

1. wingman

wingman Active Member

Hello All!! Long time no post :( Life has just been VERY busy, I currently have Matt Smith aka ''Wings Up'' helping me out this entire month to help me catch up a bit so my turnaround time is more ''reasonable'', Anyway I thought I would try to put up a quick posting on how to add a touch of realism to your flying bird primaries etc. The technique is very simple BUT I would reccomend practicing it on some scrap feathers before attempting it on a customer piece. Gary Senk showed this technique to me in 1984 and it still works very well. Basically to add an impression of ''lift'' or motion to the primaries etc all you have to do is to heat up a rounded modeling tool on a propane torch, Getting the temp right is crucial as you do NOT want it TO hot which will burn or ''melt'' the shaft. Once the temp is right run the modeling tool down the shaft of the feather while you gently ''bend'' the feather in the direction you want it to curve. A little practice will go a long way. It is important to briskly run the modeling tool up and down the shaft to ensure you do not ''melt'' or burn the shaft, As always the pictures explain it best. Hopefully now that I have an extra ''hand'' I will be able to get some more ideas photographed and posted as time allows. I do check in here as often as possible BUT life seems to be extra busy lately!! GOOD LUCK!!

2. wingman

wingman Active Member

More :)

3. wingman

wingman Active Member

And the finished ''LOOK'' :)

4. crankin

crankin New Member

WI
    great looking rooster, and thanks for the tip, ive never used heat before, but i wonder if you have ever used this method to straighten pheasant tails that get curled in a customers freezer?

5. wingman

wingman Active Member

Washing in warm water should take care of any ''kinked'' feathers

6. crankin

crankin New Member

WI
    i have one right now that has a 30" plus tail and bid and all got stuffed into a bread bag! i can imagine how the tail is going to look

7. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Tell Matt to PM me with a way to get ahold of him, I want to talk to him about his Rooster, thanks. PS ill be gone for the next week if I dont respond. Its our 15th anniversary and she got something planned.

8. nate

nate Active Member

awsome tip Wingman!! Cant wait to give that a shot!