1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The NTA and the new Outlook

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Jim Kimball, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Jim Kimball

Jim Kimball Guest

Here we go..... Jim Kimball rocking the boat again...

Lets start with a good note... Hats off to John Janelli and his commendable contributions and personal love for his and our industry. Your desire to keep us educated on the history of taxidermy is with out a doubt the most important lesson each and every young taxidermist should learn, respect and understand. For some I’m sure its hard to believe that at one time there wasn’t a supply company to call and order a form. If your not a member of the NTA you're missing out on a wonderful article in the latest Outlook that I'm referring too..
    Your work on the Conservation Committee is LONG OVERDUE... And I had to chuckle a little when I read your opening line to the article, John. Its really to bad that you were shunned by the President one year ago when you were asked to be part of this same type of committee to combat the CWD concerns. All I know is that you were the right person then and you will do a fine job now for each and every taxidermist out there.

On to the rocking....
    I was setting in on the board meeting in Billings, along with many other members when a motion was put on the table for the board members to have a conference call meeting in September... It was passed.... But it did NOT happen... Mr. President why is this ?? And please don't use the excuse of "not enough board members available for the call."
    During this same board meeting a motion was put on the table for a committee to be formed to advertise for the up coming Executive Director position that will be available soon.... It was passed... Also advertising was to begin with the next Outlook publication... Guess what the new Outlook is in my hands and there is no ad. Mr. President why has this not happened. You are the one to appoint such a committee... Has this happened, are they the ones to blame for dropping the ball ??
    Its really to bad you didn’t have the phone conference meeting in September so that the minutes from this July meeting in Billings could of been approved and published in this issue of the Outlook. So that all the members that are reading this could refer to them and read what I’m talking about. Also during this same call maybe the board could of discussed the NTA Sate Affiliation concerns the membership has, and just maybe the NTA wouldn’t of lost the most recent support of the state of Colorado. It makes absolutely no since that the membership has to wait until after a February board meeting to read the minutes from a July meeting. And please the excuse of "that's the way its always been done"..... Guess what change is a good thing..
    Also during this conference meeting call that was passed by the BOARD and should of been carried out by the PRESIDENT... The board could of discussed the recent election and the cloud that hangs over it.. Like members receiving there ballots late..... Also members receiving multiple ballots... What’s up with that Mr. President ?? Getting the highest number of votes really dosn't mean much when you know that at least one member received multiple ballots...
    Lets move onto the Presidents message in the Outlook....the quote is “ The NTA Convention Competition and Trade show, as well as state and regional shows, have provided taxidermists with top ranked judges .... I’ll stop there... I think the NTA has set a new bar when it comes to “top ranked judges”... I believe there was a top ranked judge that was hired by the NTA a few years ago... And when this judge refused to write politically correct comments on the score sheet he was fired !!! And to replace him, a group was assigned to run up and down the halls of the convention center to find someone to be a replacement judge. What does this say to the competitors... If you don’t like what that judge told you, just run and find a different one.. Eventually you’ll find one that will tell you what you want to hear... To heck with learning, I want my BLUE RIBBON to hang on my wall.. Especially one of those big ones that say National Taxidermy Association on it...
    I believe as a member of the NTA its time we remind our board members what there duty as a board member is..... Listen to the concerns of the membership and do there best to carry them out... They also need to hold the president accountable, when a motion is passed it needs to be carried out... Also remember they “the board members” are the ones that control the ship, and the president is there to steer it in the direction THE BOARD sets... There should be more to this organization then just planning for the next convention...
    If anyone is wondering...... Our president has blocked my e-mail address and I couldn't e-mail him directly, so I figured this would be the best forum to relay my concerns as a member to other members of this non-for-profit organization.. And I’m sure after this I to will be banished from the NTA similar to what they did to Mr. Janelli years ago when he to was out spoken.

Have a good one...

And of course this was all said “Tongue and cheek”

PS... Please, after reading this don’t take it as me making a personal attack on anyone or thing... I’m just a member of an association that has concerns with the way it is run. I’ve sat in on meetings and heard motions get passed and these motions just get swept under the rug.... What little I know about organizations, meetings and boards, this action is not acceptable and needs to be addressed. This is a public taxidermy forum ... It was suggested to me to write a complaint and send it to the ethics department.... but just like un-popular motions, un-popular complaints get swept under the rug..

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Jim, as you presumably already know, my opinions are not to be considered as those of the NTA, but if you're going to tell a lie about the conduct of Joe Kish, at least be man enough to tell it correctly without implying that it was politically motivated. "Bad choice of forms, see judge" is not what I'd consider either a good or a professional critique by any "outstanding judge". Especially when those words were the ONLY words written on those critiques.

3. Jim Kimball

Jim Kimball Guest

I knew if I thru that hook into the pond the George fish would bite... :)

I guess I'm as guilty of the same offense as Joe Kish is then.... I've written those same words on many score sheets while judging birds... referring to forms... and eyes.... "Bad choice of Eyes, talk to the judge"...

How do you say it........ If the truth offends you, by all means, avoid it.....

4. George

Well, if that's the only comment you put on a critique sheet, I'll make sure you get crossed off the judges list for my state show and rest assured, I'll be damned vocal if you're suggested for the National show. A judge's work should be based on the mount and how it compares to the STANDARD of a living specimen, not on his or her personal likes and dislikes. And at the risk of repeating myself, "if the truth bothers you, by all means, avoid it." People who pay their hard earned money don't expect it to be used as fodder for a judges ego and as long as I'm able to say it, I'm going to do so. The epitomy of pompousness is for a judge to spend his time looking for things that are wrong instead of looking for those that are right. The industry deserves better.

5. Jim, I don't know all what you have done privately to address Bill Haynes about this missed meeting in September, but it sure looks like you are looking for another controversy to start on this forum. There are probably many reasons why this meeting has not happened yet. It is only the end of October. Have you ever missed a deadline for one of your customer mounts? Things happen. Maybe there was a scheduling problem. Afterall, you are dealing with quite a large group of folks here from all different corners of our country. I do not know. What I do believe though is that you should have addressed Bill personally on this via phone and/or emails, not smear it on the forum in a letter that sounds very accusative towards the NTA president.

Also, why bring up events from 2 years ago? And I agree with George, to just write on a score sheet that the choice of forms was bad is an insult, an insult to the competitor as well as the supplier who sells this form (if it was a commercial form). A better way would have to been to write down that there were problems with the form, i.e. symmetry, anatomical correctness, etc. But then again this happened 2 years ago and has been drug through the mud enough already on this forum. Yet again you bring it up once more, even though it has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the original message of the letter: "Why has the meeting not been scheduled yet?" Let's stick to current issues.

Jim, I was at the board meeting as well, and you are right a motion was passed to put an ad into the next Outlook for the director's position. However, the meeting was held towards the end of July. Most likely the time frame had passed to include the add in the next Outlook. I am sure it will appear in the next issue. If it doesn't, then you have a valid point and it needs to be taken care of then. But once again, there are other outlets to get things accomplished instead of the forum. Have you called Cindy and asked her what is going on?

Jim, I am not trying to justify or defend the lack of actions that occurred, but I believe that you need to look at all the possibilities why they didn't occur and use all the other outlets first to get it resolved. We have enough mudslinging going on within the NTA board (which I believe is truly despicable), and your public letter on the forum is just adding to the fire of the ones who like to drag the NTA down into the dirt by any means. I'm not saying you are trying to do this, I'm saying you give those who want to the necessary fuel.

Just for ones, let's handle this like mature adults and not like little children bickering on a playground over a spot in the sandbox. I don't think your forum letter was the mature way to choose, and that is just my opinion.

6. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I don't love 100% of what the NTA does, but I am with George on this one.

It is ridiculous for a judge at any show to write a critique of this style. It is the height of laziness, apathy and ego. Most judges are GREAT at what they do. However there are those that think they are above all of this. "Seeing the judge" is sometimes next to impossible at large shows. The time alloted for critiques is many times too short. Especially in the Deer and Bird categories. The sheer number of people wanting critiques and the lack of courtesy on some people's parts makes it hard for the beginner or the meek to get a chance at the judge.

It reminds me of a judge who on the old forum said any fish with flex eyes is automatically out of first place. How does that reflect the scoresheet? Flex Eyes are only an industry standard! Another deer judge once gave NO RIBBONS at our state show to any deer NOT on his own brand of forms......you know what his critiques said!? "Poor choice of form, see me." So Buckeye, McKenzie, Research, Van Dyke, are ALL poor form choices!? Holy Crap we are in trouble.

As far as the accusations you have aimed at the NTA, I can believe it. However the way the NTA is set up makes it nearly impossible for anything to get done. By the time the year gets underway for the officers.....it's time to vote again. The President should be a longer than 1 year office. Hell, you can't make any kind of headway in a year. Until more people get involved the NTA will stand pat. YOU know there is a BID up for the Executive Director position. I suspect ANYONE wanting the job knows as well. I also suspect that people are not BEATING THE DOORS DOWN to get the position. Those, like you, that are wanting change, KNOW about the BID and will be submitting one. The board will then decide what works best. I know I feel better having a guy like George, who asks questions, in office. I didn't notice YOUR name on the board members list. Maybe you should run and do things right when you get elected?

Other than the stupid 100% mandate, I don't have a problem with the NTA.

7. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

This is why I love this place...........I log in and read all the smack and scroll down to see Sugarpigs smiling face...............How cute is she ?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Bill

Bill Guest

Since Jim has seen fit to air his vendetta against me to the 2500 + members of this forum, I will attempt to
    publish my reply.
    First, John Janelli. I appointed John to chair the Public Relations and Education Committee of the NTA. John
    probably has more love and enthusiasm for the NTA than anyone I have ever met. In his fervor to to good things
    for the NTA, he strayed from his committee assignments, and was relieved of his chair.
    Consequently, after pledging to not let this happen again, John was given an even greater task, the Conservation
    Force Representative from the NTA. He is doing a great job, and is to be commended.
    "Setting" in at the Board meeting in Billings, Jim heard right. As President, I was to set up and hold a telephone
    conference call bi=monthly. As a result of this, I scheduled a conference call for September 25, 2006, 2 months after the Billings meeting. Before the 2 months were up, I received several emails accusing me of dereliction of duty.
    Notices were sent to all Board members and officers. The very next day, I received an email from a Board member stating he would not be available on the 25th. As time drew near for the call, I received more emails and
    phone calls from other Board members stating the same thing. Up until the Sunday before the meeting. I still
    had a quorum, and was ready for the meeting, regardless of the missing members. A call on Sunday put the number of cancellations at 7, which only left 8 Board members and officers . The Bylaws state 9 members must attend
    a meeting in order for it to be legal. Since there could be no legal meeting, it was cancelled
    A motion was passed to advertise the Executive Directors position in the next issue of Outlook, and the President
    to appoint a committee to formulate an ad. All new Board members take office on Oct.1 and
    committee assignments are made soon after. On Oct 3, 2006 the committee assignments were published. During
    this time, the "next" issue of Outlook was being prepared for print, hence, the ED ad was not included.
    This committee is still working on this, and will continue to do so until the requirements of the motion is met.
    The loss of the state of Colorado was in motion long before any conference call was scheduled, and any
    call would not have affected the outcome.
    Any comment on the election results is inappropriate at this time, as it is to be discussed when the Board meets again.
    The dismissal of Mr. Kish has been debated for 2 years now, and to bring it up once again smacks of
    personal reasons. Mr Kish was not "fired" for not making a" politically correct ".statement He was dismissed for not performing his job as per NTA standards and score sheets.

Now, for blocking Iim's email. By his own admission , this is HIS email address. Up till recently,, any Board emails for Brenda Duval went to this address. When this happened, I would receive a snide or derogatory remark from Jim.
    As President, and as a person, I do not have to accept this kind of trash from anyone. So, I blocked his email address.
    I do not send any more NTA correspondence to his address, as some sensitive materials that is being discussed among
    Board members is privileged information until decisions are made regarding this material. When Brenda Duval
    gets her own email address, she will receive all NTA materials that are sent via email.
    Yet, he states in his PS,"Please, after reading this, don't take it as me making a personal attack on anyone or thing".
    What in the h*ll do you call the diatribe above?? I have received several emails from Jim that makes his statements
    above look like a Sunday School lesson. His disrespect for me, the Office of President, and the other NTA officers knows no bounds,
    and I am sure it will continue.
    There is an underlying suspicion of a "conspiracy" in the NTA. It is very easy for anyone to take anything out of context,
    and arrive at a conclusion that benefits themselves and other such minded persons. Nothing could be further from
    the truth. the records of the NTA is an open book. If anyone wants information, all they have to do is ask.
    Bill Haynes
    NTA Pres

9. No NTA-Grity

No NTA-Grity Guest

I'm choosing to hide yes, why, because I am friends with other people who have already replied to this post and I refuse to chance tarnishing our friendship over a silly political view.

Bill, please understand I am a NTA member, probably a good representative of the majority.  I fall in line with those that enjoy the NTA for what it is, appreciate the hard work, offered assistance at times, but for the most part try and stay far out of the reach of the political nitpicking that goes on.  I have read this post and honestly, nothing here is a bother to me..I know things happen and for reasons unbeknownst to me changes are made.. I can deal with and completely understand that.

The one thing that ate me so bad that I have chosen to come in here incognito and voice my opinion is that you Bill, As President of the NTA, feel that it is okay to block out another members opinions.  As President, you do have to listen to the good and the bad.  That is your job.  Any leader who refuses to listen to those he leads isn't a leader at all.  You don't have to agree with everything by any means.. in fact if you disagree with the majority, chances are you wont hold your position too long.. But still you do have to listen.

I am by no means jumping on Jim's bandwagon or any other person's bandwagon for that matter.. Like I said, this stuff although part of any association isn't the reason I joined the NTA.  If Jim was a nuisance, then maybe a reprimand to his membership should be noted, but to completely shun him and act as though he essentially has no voice wasn't the professional way of going about things.  Regardless of how Jim presented himself, you Bill, should have set yourself to higher standards.  

Although I have chosen to come here anonymously, I am a NTA member with a vote this coming election.  Bill, this simple act, just cost you my vote in particular, Not because I think you are a bad person, or that you aren't doing you job and getting it done.  But listening to those who put you where you are is a very important standard for my judgement of how a President should conduct himself.  Who knows, maybe this next go round, it will be me who receives the extra ballots.  Although, I would throw them in the trash because, just like blocking another members opinions, it would be the wrong thing to do.

Okay back to my normal screen name.

Good Day all.

10. Bill

Bill Guest

OK, one last post for me. I believe you misconstrued my meaning when I said I blocked Jim's email address. I have never received an email from him with any stated opinion other than his personal remarks, and these were all
    disrespectful, snide and derogatory in nature directed at me personally. He has never sought my opinion on a single
    NTA subject. Until his comments reached the point of being unbearable, I read everyone of his emails. I believe he had rather post his opinions here,as he garners more support that way.
    As for as losing your vote, I will be ineligible to run again.

11. Bill

Bill Guest

Sorry,
    Last sentence above should read: I will not be eligible to run.

12. Jim Kimball

Jim Kimball Guest

Holy Cow..... Forgive me for being a member with an opinion or concern.

I’ll start by addressing George and his STANDARD !!! I base my judging on the knowledge that I’ve gained thru educating myself and with the experience I gained from working with many naturally gifted and talented artist. One of which I spent 6 years with, the first 2 years I lived on my savings only, no income, just to have the opportunity to watch this man perform his magic... That to me is devotion to something I love...
    So when I judge a mount and I see that the competitor “Pro or Master” didn’t even take the time to do the research to find the most accurate eye available, I find fault in that. And yes I do write on the score sheet poor choice of eyes....talk to the judge “me”... And hopefully he or she will take the time to talk to me.. And I will explain then in detail that they need to do a little more research in reference the next time they select an eye for a competition piece. One thing I don’t do is tell them or write on the score sheet that they have to use “so and so’s eyes, there the best.” My goal is to educate the competitor so that they understand there is much more to putting a competition piece together then opening up a supply catalog and ordering the parts and pieces needed...
    Mr. Tucker, I would have to agree with the fish judge on the “flex eye”.... I remember a duck in the Masters division with those eye’s and the matching eye rings.... Nice mount, but with those eyes it didn’t receive a blue ribbon.... But guess what the gentlemen took the time to talk with me about my opinion and he agreed with a smile on his face..... and his quote was “ that’s all I had in the shop and I thought I could slip it past you”... Also your comment about so many people so little time works both ways.... unfortunately time gets cut short for judges to, and sometimes comments on score sheets are short and to the point with out a lot of sugar coating.. I don’t remember ever reading or being told that a judge must write 25 words “example” on each line of a score sheet...

SP....... All I can say is “ Poor choice of band wagon to jump on “

Mr. President, Most of your first post is exactly what a member is asking for from a President.... Information on what’s going on within the organization.. That’s what is so wonderful about this type of forum you can do it instantly... When there was a date set by the board in front of the membership and this date was not kept, why not get on here and inform the membership... Instead of just letting us hang.... and come up with our own conclusion.
    Your second post speaks volumes... one last post from me..... The president doesn't have time for the membership and there concerns, there’s another show to plan for..

13. Greg Waite

Greg Waite Active Member

Chip - I have been reading this and really can't see your point. If you talked that way to me in e-mails I guess I would block your e-mails to. I think that Mr Haynes answered you in a professional way. And as a competitor, how in the world is someone supposed to see you with a dozen other competitors following you around waiting their turn. Wouldn't it be just as easy to write the 14 words
    "take the time to do the research to find the most accurate eye available" plus the see judge with questions. It would at least cut your time down. It seems to me that you have been riding on Mr Kimball's shoulder for quite some time. And in closing, exactly what are you doing to make the NTA better? It's people like you that make ones like me want to join, and make others want to get out or not join. This could have been handled better and out of the public. This is just my opinion. Have a nice day.

14. Kim Owens

Kim Owens Are we there yet?

Jim, I completely understand what you are saying and I agree. Ya know, the fact is that I am tired. This NTA has taken more out of me and my family than I am willing to give. Danny has been re-elected and as a spouse, it tears me up. He has given his heart to this association and for one am asking him to give it up. He won’t because of the members. I respect his opinion but as a member of the NTA, I have mine. Mine is as follows:

Thank you, Evelyn, your comments are well-taken. I do have a question for you, though. When did the NTA board make the decision that all TREF funds should be sent to headquarters and Greg Crain instead of to you or Terrie? I have looked through the minutes and I don’t see a motion that says that that was changed. If I overlooked it, please let me know.
    Just to clarify- this is the 2nd Outlook to come out since the convention. I personally posted on the taxi-net after the 1st one came out to let people know that the NTA would be accepting applications for the ED position. It really should have been included in this issue as there will only be 2 max. issues that come out before the board meets in Feb. and at that time they are supposed to narrow down the applicants so a new ED can be in place before the convention in July. Do any of you realize that there are people who are Executive Directors that know nothing about taxidermy but are just good managers? That would not be unheard of for a new employee of the NTA. We need someone in a management position. Someone who has the knowledge to help an organization grow. I know of no individual who wants this position so anyone that thinks that me or my husband has someone else is mind is crazy. The only way to find such an individual is to advertise that the position is available. The new ED may be the one we currently have but as a board they have to take resumes from other individuals and determine who would do the best job for the NTA. The ED position is not an appointed position within the NTA bylaws.
    The problem is that this is not the first time that motions were passed by the board that have never been put into play. Earlier this year, Craig Lewis went through 20 years worth of NTA minutes and wrote down every motion that had been made. There were at least 5 to 10 motions that had passed from previous boards that were never put in place that were voted on again by other boards that were never put in place. This goes back to the NTA board not being held accountable for the decisions they make. I know of several instances where people have asked for information from Bill and NTA headquarters and not gotten it. Ask Amy Hugon in Idaho if her concerns were ever answered. I know of one question this week that my husband asked Bill to answer twice and still he has not answered that question. Ask Steve Faechner from Montana if he ever got the many questions he requested from the NTA answered. Ask Greg Crain why re refused to give a board member a written account of exactly what happened between the NTA, Bass Pro and Cabelas and the sponsorship. Ask Bill what he meant last year when he sent an email to Danny Owens saying-“there is something going on and I am not going to tell you” , just weeks before the famous letter came out. There are many, many, more instances just like this that have gone on in the past few years. These are the things that split the board. If I went through all of the 600+ emails that Danny has on NTA business and posted them here you would all be amazed at the childish antics that have gone on. For 2 years George Roof was sent every email that pertained to board business and do you know why? Because he was a member and ‘all he had to do was ask”. Bologna!
    The board of the past 2 years worked so hard to make the changes the NTA needed for you, the membership. When things started to get passed that would help make these changes happen, the ‘letter’ came out full of lies and mistruths and because of it some good people did not get re-elected. Now it’s back to ‘business as usual’ for the NTA. The malcontents are gone and they will recend and ignore every motion that was passed by the previous board. That is why the September board meeting did not take place, because the board had passed a motion where votes would be allowed during a phone conference. Bill and others did not want those members who were going out to be able to pass anymore business that would be truly beneficial to you, the membership. This is the dirty little secret no one wants to talk about, but believe me, it’s true. In the business world, when you get notice of a meeting 30 to 45 days before that meeting, you put it on your calendar and you attend that meeting. When the notice went out, only 1 board member sent in that he could not attend. One, Manny Chaevez. Any others that said they could not attend at a later date did so because something more important than you and the NTA came up.

Jim T, as for your comments, I understand the Joe Kish thing has been beat to death. As a passive member of the NTA, you and others really have no idea how the organization works. It is really ridiculous, actually. I belong to several boards in our city and we don’t even come close to the workings within the NTA. You sound like a good minded individual, before you make any decisions on the NTA, contact Mr. Craig Lewis in Washington. I believe he can help you and anyone else understand what is going on with the NTA. You posted not long ago that if the NTA was doing something wrong, then the law should come in. The way that things are happening now, I don’t think you will have to wait too long. I am now copying and posting the motions that were passed at the NTA board meeting in Billings. These were to be put in the Outlook per a motion made at the winter board meeting but were not. Another one of those things that never take place. I will say that the last 5 or 6 motions were passed by a 9-4 vote. Let’s see how they stand in the future. Sorry Ken for the bandwidth.

Motions

Motion: I request we go into executive session to discuss a personnel matter.
    Motion by: Mark Wilson
    Second by: Archie Phillips
    Vote Results: Passed

Motion: I move to approve the minutes of the Winter Board Meeting on February 17-18, 2006.
    Motion by: Craig Lewis
    Second by: Tony Finazzo
    Vote Results: No vote

Motion: I move to amend the 2006 Winter Board Meeting Minutes by:
    Page one (1)
    *State the names of those Board members present at the meeting role call.
    *Immediately before the motion to ratify the email vote. Add the motion and results
    Regarding the appointment confirmation of Craig Lewis to the NTA Board.
    Page two (2)
    *Clarify the motions regarding publishing Board minutes in the Outlook. Since the motion amendments were withdrawn there can not be an amended motion.
    Page eight (8)
    *Clarify the motion- it is confusing
    Page eleven (11)
    *Add that Joel Edwards was appointed as Committee Chairman of member orientation.
    Page twelve (12)
    *Regarding the motion to accept Dan Chase, delete “denied” and replace with “Motion failed”
    *Regarding the motion to move into executive Session- delete the word “personal” and replace with the work “personnel”
    *Add the time the executive session started and ended.
    *Regarding the motion directing a convention budget- I believe there was a time stated. Add that time to the motion.
    Page thirteen (13)
    *Regarding the motion to retain Mike Oropallo- delete the word “rescinded” and replace with the word “withdrawn”
    *Regarding the motion that Board members can only compete in the Masters Choice Division- delete the word “denies” and replace with the word “failed”
    *Reference the request of John Janelli to reinstate tenure – add that the Board chose not to entertain his request without motion.
    *Add the names of the persons nominated by the Board at the meeting

Page fourteen (14)
    State the time the meeting adjourned.

Seconded by: Al Holmes
    Vote Result: Passed

Motion: Accept the 2006 Winter Board Meeting minutes as amended
    Seconded by Al Holmes
    Vote Result: Passed

Motion: Motion to accept budget proposal as written.
    Motion by: Al Holmes
    Seconded by: Archie Phillips

Motion: Move the Merrill Lynch account to Morgan Stanley and then transfer all the Morgan Stanley accounts from the South Carolina office to the Morgan Stanley office in Shreveport, LA.
    Seconded by: Manny Chavez
    Vote Results: Passed.

Motion: Retire the Grant-Foster Memorial Fund and transfer the balance to an area of the Fosters choice.
    Motion by: Archie Phillips
    Seconded by: Al Holmes

Motion: Move the remaining balance of $479.55 from the certification account to the general fund.
    Motion by: Manny Chavez
    Seconded by: Steve Faechner

Motion: Write off the Judges Book balance of $ -304.76, from the general budget books.
    Motion by: Brenda Duvall

Motion: Accept Executive Directors report
    Seconded by: Tony Finazzo

Motion: Reinstate the conservation force donation to its original $10,000 contribution.
    Seconded by: Mark Wilson
    Vote Results: Motion and Second withdrawn

Motion: Motion to Recess Meeting
    Vote: Passed
    Action: Meeting recessed at 23:30hours, to reconvene at 08:00 hours on July 19th, 2006.

Motion: Motion to accept Mike Oropallo Proposal as written
    Vote Results: Failed

Motion: Rescind Mike Oropallo and the Law firm Hiscock and Barclay in any official capacity as the NTA attorney.
    Seconded by: Richard Noles
    Vote Results No vote taken due to outburst from guest member and a break called

Motion: Move that the conflict of interest policy draft be adopted by the board as its conflict of Interest Policy.
    Seconded by Tony Finazzo

Motion: Write off $689.66 of items destroyed during Hurricane Katrina.
    Motion by: Tony Finazzo

Motion: The bylaws with regard to the affiliation be suspended until the winter board meeting. The motion also directs the president to direct the affiliate committee to develop an alternative affiliation program.
    Motion by Tony Finazzo
    Seconded by Brenda Duvall
    Result: Motion and Second both withdrawn

Motion: The president direct the affiliation committee to develop an affiliation program to be acted on at the winter board meeting and the committee instructed to fulfill the proper format for changing the bylaws.
    Seconded by Brenda Duvall
    Vote: Passed

Motion: Appropriate money for the Promotional DVD production, not to exceed $250.00

Motion: Pending the development of a procedure the executive director’s succession order is executive director, executive secretary, treasurer, to board president appointed person.
    Vote Results Passed

Motion: The NTA announce that there is a job opening for the position of Executive Director. The board must define the duties of the executive director. The board needs to announce the position and then review applications at the winter 2007 board meeting, and choose a director.

Motion: Table this motion until the winter board meeting
    Vote Results: Failed

Motion: Advertise the executive director position in next Outlook, Taxidermy today and Breakthrough magazine with a budget not to exceed $1000.00 for advertising with a committee appointed by the president to follow up with such advertising.
    Motion by: Manny Chavez

Motion: Move that we accept the draft proposals for the Board Members code of conduct and the Statement of Personal Commitment to be accepted as standard policy for the NTA to start immediately.
    Motion by Brenda Duvall
    Seconded by Danny Owens

Motion: The upcoming conference calls be counted as official business meetings of the NTA, with the calls to follow the conduct that the president has set forth to be followed. Conference calls will be bimonthly with dates to be established ad followed. President to establish dates and notify board by email of these dates.
    Motion by: Brenda Duvall
    Seconded by Tony Finazzo

Motion: Move that an agenda be provided by the president and sent to all board members no later than 10 days prior to any upcoming meeting and agenda items be presented to the president 15 days prior to any meeting.
    Motion by Brenda Duvall
    Vote Results: Passed.

Motion: The executive director has authority to renew the sponsorship contracts at the same rate for a period of 1 year with any sponsor or official company currently associated with the NTA.
    Seconded by Archie Phillips

Motion: Motion made to appropriate $125.00 toward the board member binders.

Motion: Move that the NTA board view the letter “An open letter from “The Fraudulent foursome” 2006, as appalling and not acceptable by any NTA member and that we are saddened that someone felt they had to do this to any of our members. The NTA publish this official opinion and view in Outlook magazine.
    Motion by Tony Finazzo
    Seconded by Archie Phillips

Motion: Move to adjourn meeting
    Motion by: Archie Phillips

15. Kim, to answer your question on the TERF account:

Due to taxation issues and specific regulations of the account for TERF it had to be moved to Slidell under the umbrella of the NTA. This had to be done by December 31, 2005 or Mark would have to had pay income taxes on the donations. When the account was moved to Slidell, it was decided to set it up as a permanent restricted fund so no one other then two people on the account could withdraw funds out of it. One of those people is Greg Crain due to the fact that he lives right there in Slidell and makes all the deposits required. He makes the deposits for all the other NTA accounts as well. TERF is a permanent restricted fund of the NTA, so it seems logical that he has the ability to also make deposits for it.

No one is "required" to send any money for TERF to Greg. It can be send to me. I would then have to forward the money to Greg to deposit it in the bank account in Slidell. Sounds like playing musical money chair to me.

I can guarantee you though Kim, that no one will abuse or misuse any TERF funds, not as long as I am heading the TERF committee. No distribution can be made out of the fund without a majority, meaning at least three people, who have to agree on the transfer.

Now if you have a better idea on how to handle the money for TERF, by all means I am all ears (or should I say eyes). :)

16. Kim Owens

Kim Owens Are we there yet?

Again, Thank you for answering my question. I really don't have any ideas to better TREF, other than as sad as it is, I wouldn't agree to send money to a taxidermy shop in Africa. I think you do a great job and would never take anything away from that. I still have to look up the info that would have the NTA have a say in TREF because last I understood, it was comletley seperate from the NTA because of tax status. As usual, I could be wrong. By the way, who is the other person that can withdraw funds and does it take 2 signatures?

17. George

Obviously this has to be my PERSONAL opinion, but people just like you see here (Kim and Jim never saw a leaf that didn't have a cow chip under it. I cannot, for the life of me, envision people of such small minds and such huge egos that think there just HAS to be a conspiracy under every rock and if there's not, there should be.

Kim, so much for your promise to me at the NTA Banquet. I guess that tells me where your integrity lies, but somehow, I'm not surprised.

Bill Hayes is a good and gracious man that I sometimes wonder why he puts up with this crap. Since he's taken office, a small group of individuals have used every opportunity to impugn his character and attempt to embarrass him at any costs. Nothing this man could ever do, short of resigning, would ever make these loathful individuals happy. Here's Jim Kimball living with a sitting board member. This board member, instead of having a personal email address like every ISP in the world provides to users, has consciously elected to SHARE an email address with her significant other. Each time an email sent to that DIRECTOR arrives, it seems that the significant other always has to chime in. Kim is just as guilty and has, as witnessed by any of you who've ever attended an NTA board meeting had as much to say as any board member. During most of those years however, she was not even an NTA member, so if the chips they've uncovered start to fall, then I suspect someone is going to get cowship all overthemselves. As you see here, Jim and Kim have no compunction to be civil and again try to deflect their self inflicted wounds.

In 1971, a good and common man, Charlie Haynes started the NTA envisioning a group that could gather for the sake of comaraderie and fun while improving their work by sharing ideas and methods. As the owner of a small school in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, he had nothing to gain and everything to lose by forming such a group. But he believed in it and did it anyway. Immediately he was set up by egos just like you see here and "big name" individuals intent on getting the "ignorant country boy" out of its leadership. Many of the famous names today maligned that good man just like this.

For some simplistic reason, these people are unable to accept reality of the real world. The NTA is a national organization but where the rubber meets the road, we're little more than a big bowling league. We don't have a lot of money and the usual scenario is that we need to make enough from our convention/competitions to pay the bills from last year. ( Isn't that the way most taxidermists work? You need to get deposits from your customers no so much to protect your investment as you do to pay for the forms you'll have to order.)

We have board members who, when required to recuse themselves from competitive awards and or don't get re-elected pick up their toys and go home pouting. I'm sure that would carry the day in any real professional organization. When the Executive Director reads his finance report and gives the board a line by line accounting of each check that has been written along with the beginning and ending balance, one board member calls him a liar and accuses him of "hiding" funds from the organization. The Executive Director gets paid through his personal business account as a "contract laborer" so that the NTA doesn't have to pay unemployment compensatons, social security, and many of the perks that every CEO in America gets. He even pays for airline tickets out of his personal banking account because the organization hasn't received enough membership renewals to cover a check from the NTA. State affiliations don't send in renewals on time therefore negating the ballot mailing dates in our bylaws, and the president and the ED are blamed for not sending out ballots on time, sending duplicate ballots out, and actually having a CEO who'd risk federal indictments if he stuffed the ballot boxes as many of these people claim.

Bill Haynes is a good and honest man. But most of all, he's a taxidermist just like you and me - no better = no worse. He has his own personal and business problems to deal with on a daily basis, yet for someone who gets not one cent of remuneration for doing his job, he's expected to cater to every caterwalling diaper wearing crybaby in the organization.

I'm sick of those people and right now, I could give one good damn what they think about me. If my only claim to fame was to step on somebody elses character in a silly attempt to enhance my own, they can have my VOLUNTEER job. I wish they'd just move on someplace else. Now if they have any decency in their hearts and want to sit down like adults in such positiions are expected to do, then I'm their biggest cheerleader. Otherwise, why don't they just get the hell out.

This last election has been the biggest circus I've ever seen. You know, I've run for office 4 times. I did not get elected two of those times, once as a board member and once as president, but on each occasion I listened to the announcements, sucked it up, and then worked my butt off with the Friday night auctions and the Saturday banquets along with running the 9 or 10 seminars left on the itinerary. I'm not looking for any recognition of that fact, but let me tell you exactly what happened THIS year when the election results were read. Four or five NTA Board Members got up and went out of the building never to return that night. There was plenty of work yet to be done and their terms weren't over, yet THEY WALKED OUT. They didn't walk out on me, or Bill Haynes or any of the other half dozen that stayed. THEY WALKED OUT ON YOU, THE MEMBERS. YOU elected them to represent you and to serve your interests, but instead, they were more concerned with their personal agendas.

Since Kim and Jim are so concerned that the Outlook didn't contain the advertisement for applications for Executive Director, I'd invite each of you to look at your magazine. Thought the Outlook is published as a bi-monthly issue, most issues must have a month lead time for lay out and printing purposes. Obviously we don't print our own magazines. The issue in question is the "September/October" issue. Since our convention ties us such a large chunk of calendar in June and July, and issue is always in "the works" prior to the convention. The ensuing issue is also in "layout" so that no one will have to return from the convention, unload all the materials that have been transported across the US, download computers, get competition award winners and insure that hotels have been settled with. That means that the September/October issue is already in draft and only has to be put into "the can". If you look closely, you'll notice another obvious item missing: THE NTA CONVENTION!!!!! On page 3 in the left hand column (highlighted in green), you'll also notice that Dan Rinehart is listed as Vice President and not Frankie Thompson, Terrie Wilson is secretary, not George Roof, and Steve Faechner and John Lager are listed as board members and not Steve Wolk. Imagine that. The reason for that is that the NTA doesn't employ a layout room and a staff to care for such matters. Cindy Crain has to do that herself.

By and large, the NTA is made up of good, hard working people who just want to get a job done. Most of us have our glasses half full and the light at the end of the tunnel is not a train. Like the rest of society however, we have our share of malcontents who seem to need a conspiracy to make themselves feel better. When you come to our shows and our conventions, I hope that's the part you see and you remember. Don't be mistaken if we look calm on top of the water, because just like ducks, most of us are paddling like hell underneath. We have our problems, but we'll only solve them when ALL OF US can sit down, act like adults respecting each other, and work towards solutions that don't involve finger pointing. One of our largest problems is finally getting attention and that's the affiliation process. I won't forecast how this vote will go, but it's certain to be discussed at lenght and it is being talked. That's more than we could have said a few years back.

Jim, my opinion of "judges" hasn't changed and I still wouldn't hire you if thats how you feel. I don't hire people to have opinions on CHOICES. I hire judges that would grade the mount on the eyes and their realism, not by the manufacturer. If YOU don't like plastic eyes (I don't either), I'd still expect you to WRITE the reason out in something like, "Eye is dull and not lifelike enough to enhance the mount." I wouldn't have to chase you down to find out what was specifically wrong with the eye, you'd already told me. Any judge dumb enough to risk being sued by a manufacturer becaue the judge didn't like their product BY NAME is not someone I'd consider "qualified" to judge a show I ran. But like all the other things I've said here, this is my PERSONAL OPINION.

18. Dan Gill

Dan Gill New Member

Thank you Kim, for posting the minutes, and motions. I thought this site was avoided by the officers because of lack of members. but 2500 plus members....WOW! this appears to be the perfect place to let the membership know what is happening. Have the board members been told not to post here? We should have constant updates from board members, president, and others. we see very little from board members.
    Judging. I chose to write on score sheets, "anatomy incorrect" if it in the mannikin, then correct it. I try to be a fair judge, I havent judged in 2 years, maybe I was too easy, Or I havent stayed in the spotlight with the "blue" ribbons, or maybe people just dont like me. But Jim the blue ribbons are important, If your not in Outlook, and Breakthrough, you are soon forgotten. I like to judge, not to prove how much I know, but to give a critique, and see that person the next year with a better score, and better piece. competitors are putting out their best and are proud of their mount, our job is to give them all the information on the score sheet we can. in my opinion. I cant even compare myself to your level of skill. you are an amazing artist. But I am going to keep clawing to do my best with every piece I compete with, and every piece I ever judge.
    Mr. Bill, Dont feel you need to post,"one last time". keep us as informed as possible. If You dont speak up, how do we know what is happening.? We vote in leaders, but if things are in turmoil, lets here a meesage from the leaders from time to time. Lets always be proud of every decision we make.
    Dan Gill

19. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Merry go round and round.

Interesting thread. Surely good points made from both sides. I still say that if the NTA is that "dirty" and people have REAL PROOF, not feelings, not "circumstantial evidence, then by all means contact the authorities and press charges against the wrongdoers. I my self have seen no "proof" other than things that "look like" they could be a little shady. If you KNOW that we are being screwed please take action.

As far as me "not knowing" how things work, I have been a founding board member of one Ohio's organizations. It has taken those of us that care 10 years to get the two organizations back into one. I have been on the boards of many organizations, baseball coach, and Cubmaster for my town for years. GUESS WHAT? This same style of crap happens in every one of them!

Surely the NTA is "bigger" and the board members are not as close knit as smaller groups BUT the same BS goes on. Just at a different level. I do not know ALL of the NTA board members, but I do know many of them personally. The people I know are NOT crooks. That's how I can stand behind them.

Again, if the NTA is "dirty". Take care of it for us all please.......since you have the proof and evidence that we all cannot.

20. Bill

Bill Guest

Dan, when I said I would post one last time, my intentions related to this particular subject. I think this
    should die the slow,painful death it deserves.
    The NTA has its own website and information is posted whenever it is necessary. The Taxidermy.Net is a great
    website providing all taxidermists with a meeting place to discuss issues, etc. However, this is a private website
    and nothing posted here is official NTA business. Ken does a great service to us all.
    I might add that the minutes posted by Kim are not official minutes, as they have not been approved by the
    Board for distribution to the general membership. They are subject to change, and probably will be changes to
    some degree. Once the minutes are accepted and become a record of the meeting, they will be posted on the
    NTA website and in theOutlook magazine. Jumping the gun just to prove a point is meaningless.
    This presumptuous posting of the minutes is just another attempt to discredit this office and the Officers of
    the NTA, which has been on-going for some time, and will continue as nothing but complete capitulation of the
    President and Officers will satisfy the negativism that is rampant within the Board.