1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

salt dried cape for krow tann

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by buckhunting101, Oct 10, 2007.

1. buckhunting101

buckhunting101 Hides N Stuff Taxidermy

Got a salt dried doe cape today.Am going to krow tann it.Do i need to rehydrate the cape before putting in tan or can i just stick it in the tan?Help would as always be greatly appreciated. :)

2. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

Rehydrate the cape. I had the same issue last year. I calld Ozark Woods and was told to rehyrate and proceed w/ the labled directions for Krowtan. It worked fine.

3. Yea I've had that before to just soak it up good till its soft and then tan it.

4. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

kt doesnt seem to have many rehydrating qualities - everytime i just dumper the salted hide in i had to soften sooner or later - now if it is salted but still flexible it can go straight into kt

5. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Terry, thats because the directions call for too much salt. I cant imagine anything needing 2lbs per gallon of water, for any pickle, or tan. The more salt, the slower the re hydration. Even with 1lb of salt per gallon, in a pickle, the re hydration is very slow, without agitation.
    These products have potential, but the directions that come with them, are flawed, and are not in step with proven procedures.

6. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

i follow mixing instructions but thats where i stop - follow my own after that - by the way i lost a grey fox to slippage yesterday - 1st animal (in around 250) i've ever lost with kt

7. Huntr Pat

Huntr Pat New Member

I'm just starting out and just finish fleshing out a deer & elk hide for a rug what is the best way. What is the best way or products to get this hide tanned without taking the hides to a tannery? All comments and advice would so much be apreciated.

Thanks you,
    Pat

Ps you can email [email protected] or come over for an Elk dinner.

Patrick W, Alcisto
    US Army retired