1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best (cheapest) place to get salt?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Amy, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

Hey guys,

Where do you buy your salt, and how much do you pay for it?

I am asking because for some time I have been buying mine at Food Lion stores for $3.29 per 25 Lb. Thought I should be able to get it for cheaper, so I went over to a local feed mill and they are selling 50 lb. bags for $7.30. Thats an even worse deal.

I guess the price of salt is going up with everything else? Because over $7 a bag for plain ole salt seems high to me. I found a place that claimed they had salt for $4.20 a bag but when I went all the way over there, came to find it was more like a rock salt which we all know will NOT work.

2. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

Hey Amy,

David over at Lonestar FD said the Food Lion salt is the best deal locally.

Did you ask the feed mill if they would give you a break if you bought large quantities at one time?

3. I deal with a salt company that sells salt for the roads and salt to bakeries. The salt that the bakeries use is what I buy. It is about $8.00 for an 80 pound bag. Then he sells me the damaged bags at half off because once the bags are busted he can't sell them to the bakeries. Stop by a bakery and see where they buy their salt.

4. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Go to a feed store or TSC (Tractor Supply) and buy the fine white stock salt. I just paid $4 for a 50 LB bag.

5. Amy,
    The Food Lion salt is perfect for pickles and tans. It is the cheapest since Food Lion buys in such large quantities. The salt comes from Cargill. Ask the floor manager if you can order a large quantity for pickup. He will be glad to help. I have gotten 2500 lbs at a time and they load it right onto the truck for us.
    David