1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking for a tannery to tan bison cape.

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by buckhunting101, Oct 15, 2007.

1. buckhunting101

buckhunting101 Hides N Stuff Taxidermy

Any suggestions?Am looking for 250.00 or less.

2. John W.

John W. New Member

101,last time I checked the cheapest was $16 a square foot-way more than $250 unless of course hes a runt-good luck!;D

3. Precision Taxidermy

Precision Taxidermy New Member

We use Moyle and Mink- a small bull would be about $250.00 but it goes up from there. They do an excellent job.

4. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    moyle mink tannery in IDAHO
    JUST RECIEVED TWO CAPES AND HIDES BACK
    BEST IVE SEEN

5. Whats Moyles turnaround time?

6. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

That was very nice of PRECISION, and CLEW, being new members, to give out this helpful information. ::) Everyones turnaround is low, right now. Andy, ask the same question in January. Ours is around 30 days right now, but wait till the flood gates open! Their already starting.

7. OS, I remember the complaints not too long ago. Just curious if they have stuff worked out.

8. Dave H

Dave H New Member

ohio
    I just got back a nice sized Bull from Carolina fur, real nice job, cost me $300 even. I just received the rest of my stuff back from Carolina, some was sent in March and some in May. Got it back Monday. Everything was pretty good, some rips in a Wolf hide, and 2 exotic sheep that are still pretty dirty and full of stuff, but all in all, very good work. Unfortunatly I can't afford those kind of lead times, I pride myself in getting everything back in a very timely manner, and I can't wait that long. I have done allot of my own tanning, and in tha last couple years have sent out allot, since some of my stuff was 8 mos this year, I am way behind and may never catch up again unless I turn some people away.

9. Yep. That's what you have to do. We feel your pain Dave!!

10. You feel his pain Dave? Maybe the tanneries should turn down work if they cant honor their published turn around timelne.

11. Yep. I have been shoveling work over to other tanners for the last three months. I have had to eliminate advertising to keep up with my repeat customers.

I never saw the pictures from the elk calf contest that Dennis threw to you. You have any?

12. Yes I do have photos of the calf you tanned for me. Also have some photos of the small bear. Thanks again for a great job tanning them.

13. If you think about, send 'em my way and I will save them for the new webpage that we are about to launch. We are going to 4-5 month turnaround now and up to a year on the washable sheep hides.

14. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

I saw 2 goat hides last Sunday that will be coming your way soon. Yeppee! ;D

15. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Maybe Tannery's should do like we do, and don't promise anything. Call it priority or express service, and then do your best to get em out in 60-90 days. Depending on what you get in, it could go to 120. Right now, we are at 30-45 days, but who knows what the UPS man has in store, for the next 3 months?
    Its easy for a small operation to turn down customers, when they only have the mouths of a few employees to feed. Try 30 or more EXPERIENCED employees, that have been working for the same company , for 4-20 years. I have said this too many times to count. Turnarounds are based on demand, and that alone dictates them.

Now a-days, I could never see farming work out to another tannery. Are you that sure of their quality, and their keeping of their turnaround promises to you?
    The market is way too competitive today, to trust anyone. If it isn't overseen by me, Ill be damned if I am going to bet my reputation on it!

16. We don't farm anything out. We have ermine right on up to hippo. I meant that we have been referring work to other tanneries due to our work schedule being full. It is only fair to turn away work that can't possibly be done in the customers expected return time. Some can wait up to a year, some can not wait four months. It all depends on the customers own backlog. I tell customers the expected turnaround and let them decide. If they ask for a referral, I gladly send them to a competitor. They usually will thank me for being honest and say they will check us again next load. That is as fair and honest as I can get.....after all, I am a tanner!

Them lyin' a$$ed tanners! -EJ, 2007

17. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

OS ...Your last 2 sentences read like an advertisement for in shop tanning.

18. Bill, are you trying to get him all fired up? ;D

19. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Bill, David said he didn't farm out work, so the first sentence is dead in the water. David said he didn't farm out work, so the second sentence is dead in the water also. He killed 2 birds with one stone.
    Smaller tannery's farm out work, just as Taxidermists use other Taxidermists for wholesale work. What didn't you get about that? What might have confused you, read just fine, to everyone else. Being in business for such a short time, you probablly didnt know that. Who in their right mind, would specialize in hogs? :-*

20. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Your last sentence " If it isnt overseen by me Ill be damned if i am going to bet my reputation on it".Thats what seems like an ad for inhouse tanning. It was said (typed) tongue in cheek. Some people take themselves much to seriously. And I been around a lot longer than you think.