1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antelope horn removal....the final frontier!!

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by michael p., Oct 18, 2007.

1. GWebb

GWebb Active Member

::) With all the pi$$ing matches you have here I don't think you ever need to worry about urinary dependability, and you usually sling crap pretty well on here too so there shouldn't be a problem with that either. Maybe you do need to focus on the little blue pill a few times a month. I seriously doubt it could raise your BP as much as the Taxi-net does. ;)

2. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Maybe his "core" laid around too long and rotted.
    I sure hope it don't slide off!

Sorry there, I couldn't help it.
    Michael, continue on and show how to re-attach. I've never dabbled in antelope yet, don't know how it's done. What do you fill the core with to hold it? BONDO? Yea probably, you bondo freak.

3. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

You know bw, that's the beauty in all this. We can still build off little idea's. None of us will ever agree on what we feel are the proper way's on how to do Taxidermy because we are not mind numbed robot's. But we still pick up little ideas here and there from each other which enables us to put our own puzzles together so to speak.

I use the dawn to try & help degrease & deodorize while simmering.

As far as the sodium carbonate Vs. sodium BIcarbonate I don't know if one work's quicker or not. What I do know is I can go buy a box of Sodiun bi arbonate for 50 cent's at Dollar General & use half the box per deer skull & it turns the meat to Jello in no time at all & I am able to garden pressure hose it off. I don't know if on such small item's if it's really that big of a difference.

Yep, BONDO!! BONDO'S the best thing since Cheesecake!! ;D

4. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

I finally got the horns of this evening! Nasty, stinking maggots up in there! I guess I can boil the skull plate tomorrow while everyone is gone! LOL

5. bw

bw New Member

I couldn't agree more. Its really nice to see that you can live with the fact that I dont want to switch to the way you remove your horns. And appreciate the fact that even though I don't agree, I still got something out of your post.

PS....How did your foot taste George?

6. livbucks

Funny...I do the same thing. I play it cool until the wife goes out shopping or something, then I pull out one of her precious pots and boil skull plates in it. What she doesn't know that goes on around here!

7. livbucks

Now now.....easy on the fella.
    We have all scanned a post and got the gist of it wrong.
    Give 'em a break this time. You can nail him next time though.

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Michael:

Whether one agrees or disagrees with your method, thanks for the tutoral...BTW...Leroy needs a raise...the weekends coming up...LOL!!!!

9. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Never heard that one.. where I used to come from they called it a Camel Toe, Now I call em' a Moose Knuckle.

10. cattrax

cattrax Beats being in the shop!

Umm, Michael, if you get a moment to ease up on George, the Dawn question?????

11. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

I use the dawn to try & help degrease & deodorize while simmering.

As far as the sodium carbonate Vs. sodium BIcarbonate I don't know if one work's quicker or not. What I do know is I can go buy a box of Sodiun bi arbonate for 50 cent's at Dollar General & use half the box per deer skull & it turns the meat to Jello in no time at all & I am able to garden pressure hose it off. I don't know if on such small item's if it's really that big of a difference.[/quote]

12. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Hoytman, she looked too petite to be associated with a camel. LOL

13. michael p.

Look at the time & date, it's before your last post ;) ;D

14. aboutpostal

aboutpostal Member

i dont care what anyone says, the tip on drilling a hole is still a good tip

15. Hey guys I got the horn caps of but what should I do to the caps should I do something to them. Josh

16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Josh, "I don't care what anyone says, drilling holes is ..."dums hit. I cut the tips of the cores off and I dry preserve them. I let them set out for a week or two and then I take a butane torch and singe off the hairs that would have formed the new horn. It stinks so do it out side. Then when you're ready to mount, get a pot of boiling water and submerge the cases one at a time for about 5 minutes each. Slather the core with a good 5 minute epoxy and simply slide the sheath over the core. PRESS DOWN. The heated sheath will activate the epoxy quickly and after a minute you can relax and the core will be permanently affixed to the sheath. Since youve cut the core tips off and dried them, the sheath will slip down and lock exactly where it needs to be on your mount.

17. Kittrell Hill

Kittrell Hill 9 Beard Merriam 2008 Meade Co SD

Thanks, Michael, I just got in six this week I give that a try. I think the drilling the hole is a really smart way to set the shells back right. Thanks

18. michael p.

GEORGE!! Put the computer down and back up before you hurt yourself by drowning in your own Bull $h!t!!

19. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Uh, Michael, it ain't MY post that's drawing flies.

20. RDA

RDA Active Member

Ive done tons of lopers,,, boiling with baking soda good bondo to put horns back on good... hole in cores to mark where horns go ok, but it is also usually a finger width above the eye orbits ;) Sniffing cores that came in rotten,,,,not so good.... ;D