1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antelope horn removal....the final frontier!!

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by michael p., Oct 18, 2007.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

LOL.....good point! :D :D

2. outdoorsy_gal

outdoorsy_gal New Member

I would like to know what you guys do next, once the cones are off the core. What do you do to the cones & what do you do to the core?

3. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

outdoorsy gal, rinse the cap out, and then borax the inside of the horn cap, and whack off all but enough of the core to use as a base for your caps when it goes back together,

4. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

Is this a good method to use as the first step in doing a European mount?Also after this would you just soak the skull in perioxide?

5. Tom Kleckner

Tom Kleckner New Member

new to taxidermy just have one ?. can you use this method for removing the horns from sheep

6. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

whats used to get rid of the goat nasty smell on the inside of the horns.. I am in the process of doing one now.. I have the horns off.. Easy.. just bag and pop and I do with sheep.. but these suckers are like compressed hair.. and they are smelly.. LOL

7. 300savage

300savage Life Is Good

PA
    I usually swish acetone around the insides Jesse then I let them sit in warm water and super solvent for a little while. Usually does it for me, maybe a little downy in the water .

8. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Sweeet.. Thanks

9. 300savage

300savage Life Is Good

PA
    No prob Jesse, it works on all those stinky sheep horns too.

10. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

the sheep horns are hard, Such as the dall, mouflon, and others.. Even mt goats... but never touched a antelope before.. Pretty unique horns.. it's like compressed hair

11. 300savage

300savage Life Is Good

PA
    They are pretty cool I have a few too do within the next week. I think they are cool animals .......... better than whitetails lol. Hell anythings better than whitetails right now lol

12. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I think that is what they are. ;)

13. 300savage

300savage Life Is Good

PA
    They are hair fibers , I believe they are the only horned animal that can shed their horns.

14. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Jesse, acetone will wash the horns out, but prongs have more smell that sheep and goats simply because the horn is hair and not keratin. I never found any solvent to work long term. I use dry preservative. The borax actually "sweetens" the smell and the alum dries out the residual membrane.

15. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

The last

The last time I did an antelope and sheep (mid 1990's), I rinsed the inside with formaldahyde and there was no smell at all.

Kerby...

16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LOL Kerby. You EMBALMED IT. That would work.

17. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

HE HE

:)

Kerby...

18. 300savage

300savage Life Is Good

PA
    Not to be a scootch George ;D , but did you wash them in supersolvent and fabric softner too? Just did some today and the smell is almost nonexistent. I have them airing out tonight. Never thought of putting DP in them tho, Ill try it too.

I think sheep horns smell worse , Just me tho...... especially those farm raised ones. Then again Id rather smell a coyote over a bobcat anyday of the week.

19. rayray38821

rayray38821 New Member

A fox is a stinking lil critter!! :p

20. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

what does a fox have in common with a antelope? Unless its a male, then they both have Nutz!!.. LMAO..