1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

"flexable" whitetail mount

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by James Marsico, Oct 18, 2007.

1. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

I just took in a giant buck whitetail for a lifesize from a professional photographer who does work for Outdoor Life etc. and he wants a dead mount that is somewhat flexable. It will be photographed lying dead in a canoe, being dragged, over the shoulder, etc. Any ideas? I am thinking a wrapped body with some regular foam parts. Anyone else ever done a mount like this that can give me tips ?

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Jim, I feel silly answering you with your experience, but it just ain't gonna happen. No matter if you filled the skin with bits of foam rubber, the skin itself is going to prevent "flexibility". When I've mounted robo deer for the DNR, all movable parts had to be mounted to separate armatures and moved independently of the main body. The only method of getting a truly "flexible" deer is to possibly slip cast one with RTV, but that's a whole lot of rotten and a whole lot of rubber.

3. sluggunner

sluggunner New Member

what if the skin was soft tanned?

4. James Marsico

There has got to be away to to do it nice so its just even "somewhat" flexable even if it only lasts a short time for a few shoots, I advised him of that part; I told him I could do it! Maybe light wire joints will help anyway as you you know I am sometimes a little dense but I like a challenge. Double oiled soft tan for sure. I charged him plenty, I thought he would pass on it because of price. 3500. I have also mounted several lifesize deer for the the DNR around here. Heres a story. I finished a medium sized buck for them and they put it out near a paved road the next day and one of my competitors (who has since moved out of state) was the first to slowly roll the window of his truck down and blast away at it, the game warden and I still laugh.

5. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

That's what I was thinking, but your finished "dead" deers hide is gonna fold instead of flex like a real dead deer when arranged in different poses you'd think?

6. James Marsico

The back legs will be mounted streched out behind the body and the front legs up against the body. Belly a little collasped looking and behind the last ribs able to bend about 6-8" and the neck so it can bend about 6" either way. Thats what I am thinking. Regular mannikin head.

7. ???It sounds like fun. LOL ;D ;D

8. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Pivoting metal rod inside for your support & flexibility inside mannikin covered by industrial stype smooth sleeve..... like the type engineers use on mechanical arms that need to flex ???

9. buckhunter

buckhunter Member

UK
    I have no idea how it cna be done but i know that it can. Couple years ago on eBay there was a mounted Red Stag similar to what you are proposing. It had been mounted for the TV show "Monarch of the Glen" in which someone shot a stag and the corpse was filmed being dragged or something. The whole body was "floppy" like a dead one. No idea how they done it though!

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Jim, just an idea. Why not cut the legs including "hams" and "shoulders" off a rigid form and mount them along with a "neck" form. Then fill the skin with polyester beads like they use in "bean bags" and sew it up. The soft tanned hide will conform on the outside while any "wrinkling" takes place on the off side of the mount. I was going to use that method with the dead Steinbok I mounted with my leopard mount, but Christoforo told me I was being too damned lazy and I should just modify the form. I think it would work.

11. James Marsico

Thank you. Of course I have awhile to consider exactly what to do but my mind started churing about how tos as soon as he left. Dam that Christoforo can be brutal. No wonder when I took him fishing we didn't go to a good spot.

12. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

There are foams that are flexable. I know because I talked to Gene Hallet(Lifetone Paint) about it a few years ago and he sent me some to try. It didn't work for what I had in mind, but I'm sure that the stuff is still available. If you can locate the foam I'll bet you could get one of the suppliers to pour you a mannikin with it. It's similar the foam that the "flex forms" are made from. There'd be other obstacles to overcome, like keeping the skin flexable and attached to the form, but I don't think they'd be impossible. If this were my problem, I'd probably call Marc McLain and run it by him.

13. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

buckhunter the red stag you mentioned on tv was mounted by a friend of mine. he soft tan's the skin. then i hate to say this but he stuffed it ;D.with loft lagging [rock wool].it work's very well. he also did the dead lion in narnia the same way.he does a lot of tv work and tell's me this method work's fine for dead floppy mount's.. very cost effective to. ;)