1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish eye painting?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Beavis, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Beavis

Beavis Member

Couple noob questions. I got some Flint 10mm glass eyes for a 13 inch yellow perch I've been working on. I used the GBRUCH bondo/resin mold and cast method. I know this is stupid, but do you paint the inside or outside of the glass? On a related note, why are the eyes set before any painting is done? To me it would make more sense to set them after the fish was painted, and do some small touch up in that area. I got Tom's fish finishing book, it doesn"t cover eye painting. TIA

Donny

2. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

Post in fish taxidermy and ask Gary Bruche. I just learned from him a couple weeks ago. I have only painted a few and don't feel qualified to tell you. Check out the picture of the Small Mouth eye I painted under training, in Gary's fish molding class.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Donny the eyes are painted prior to any setting of eyes. I use powders and paints to do my eye work. After the eye is painted and dried, I'll fill it with hot glue, epoxy and let this set up. Now you can set your eyes in your fish if you so like.
    Now the reason you place glue or the epoxy in the eye is because the epoxie sculpt or any other eye setting material will sometimes and most likely pull the paint away from the eye.

4. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

a lot of people set eyes b4 painting - a lot of people set eyes after painting

5. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Paint the inside or back of the eye.

6. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

Rick Krane also paints his fish eyes. You can also ask him for help too. I went to his workshop and hecustom paints the eyes.