1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I joined a club today!!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by harjo02, Oct 21, 2007.

1. I didn't intend on joining this club....in fact, I went into today hoping the club was ridiculous and just something made up. But as hard as I tried, I couldn't avoid joining.

So welcome me into the I Hate Squirrels Club!!!!

Dang those rats!! I figured they had to be easy since they were always recommended for beginners but I'd seen several people quickly jump into posts about squirrels to state they hated squirrels. I wondered what was so hateful about them. I've done 2 badgers, 2 raccoons, a wild boar, a coyote, 2 pheasant and since I'm a beginner, they all have their own degree of suck.

I had one sitting in Krowtann for a week or so for the hell of it and just to compare it to a DP'd one. They were killed, frozen and skinned the same way. The Krowtann one slipped instantly and looked like a balding rat. Little hair all over like pin feathers. The DP one was a little better but the tail was a mess and the form was a little too small so my eyes don't look right. I've got 3 limb rats in the freezer and a few more forms so I'll with hold final judgement until I get a few of these turds under my belt.

Maybe I'll get a little better at it and they won't be quite so bad but for now, I'm in the club!

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LMAO Harjo. I hate to be the one to say it, but I told you so. LOL. And remember, WHEN you get better at doing them (and you will), you'll have learned they're still not worth the aggravation.

3. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

my price for squirrels - $450 - if anyone really wants one done i am raising the price

4. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Y'all just send them squirrels down here! I still like mounting squirrels, if they are fox squirrels. You can keep the greys! No reason for anybody to mount a grey squirrel anyway. Thats like getting a town pigeon mounted. LOL

5. klattin3

klattin3 Member

I'm in too!!
    I tried three times with one form and it looked like a beaver that peed on a electric fence LMAO!!
    shoot'em and eat'em

6. coon hunter

coon hunter Truman Waddell 270-589-7828 Brownsville Ky

Count me in .

7. choo choo charlie

choo choo charlie I feel pretty good for the way I feel

Geez guys! Me and my daughter made pretty close to a thousand buck in the las two weeks just mounting and selling squirrels.
    $85.00 each, heck I will mount all I get.
    Send them on down!

8. conwaysheating

conwaysheating New Member

I like squirrels as well. I charge $250.00 retail on a nice base($20-30 cost) or $200 on driftwood. I don't get many. Only from the occasional grandpa that helped his grandson get his first kill.

9. You can send them all here! I charge $175 and after doing them for quite some time now, they really aren't that difficult. So, if you're charging $450, and someone really wants one, "outsource" it to me and we can split the difference! :D

10. Helicity

Helicity Squirrels – Natures Road Bumps

I guess i have never done a sqirril but it shouldent be worse then a gopher. I can skin one in about 15 minutes and i use boric acid to pickle, and pse to tan and they come out lovely with no slippage. I charge 150 for them and we have an entire museum of "stuffed" gophers in my town.

11. AWT

AWT "Preserving all God's creatures"

I hate them as well. After reading this post, I'm raising my price too...

12. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

I luv "em. Send them to me! PM me for details on wholesale squiggels.

13. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

450 still sounds a little low, LOL.
    If I had mounted a squirrell first, I would have quit right there, no doubt in my mind about it.

14. fesekula

fesekula Active Member

I now I am in the minority here but squirrels are where I started taxidermy and I still enjoy them. I love mounting them and eating the best gravy you can pour over biscuits.

15. Mark V.

Mark V. Chinook Salmon replica

I still like to hunt them from time to time and I eat all that I shoot. This was from last Sunday. If I get 1 squirrel in a year thats enough for me to mount ,Mark V.

16. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Mark, now I mught have to make an exception if I had a black one like in your pic. I would like to have one of them for myself even if I did cuss it the whole time I mount it. LOL