1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bugs?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by charles_p, Oct 26, 2006.

1. charles_p

charles_p New Member

Ive been doing taxidermy for 10 years first time ive seen this.A guy called me and sad i got a cyoyte that a guy done for me 3 yrs ago all the hair is coming off,i told him to bring it buy to let me look at it,it had little white worm looking things all over it they were in like a white cacoon.What are these little critters i made him leave it outside wouldnt let him bring it into my shop.

2. Sounds like moths... The larvae create caccoons using hairs when pupating, but the base is a worm like larvae.

3. charles_p

charles_p New Member

Will insect bombs kill these little critters?All i can find on the net is there usally found in food such as rice noodles etc.Why are they on this cyote?

4. Insect pests are cosmopolitan and there is always the likelihood that some insect pest will attack your mounts. The moth larvae that are probably on the specimen are also drawn to all sorts of woolens, (wool socks, Coats, wool rugs, and even LL Bean beaver felt hats), but can even get sustenance on dead insect larvae like show up in window wells or in overhead light covers. There are a few species of moths which specialize in organic materials.

You can freeze the suspect specimen. but when it gets back to the house it came from, it could be re-infected again. I have never used a bomb in an entire house, so don't know how efficient it would be.

5. mount it

mount it My Mount

Hope I never see them in my shop. Randall

6. ace man

ace man New Member

[glow=blue,2,300]sounds like moths[/